Tom, Where's my jerky???!!! 11 23.91%
I ran out of Chill Pills 18 39.13%
Ok. who let gooey out 6 13.04%
bacon and waffles. thats on my mind 14 30.43%
TPVG is back!!! 6 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM

Didn't think I was feeling much different since I started doing that 10 Minute Trainer program a couple weeks ago. Took a break from it this weekend and man can I feel it. I feel awful today.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackalacka View Post
like i said i didn't say they were unskilled or untalented. still don't see how driving a car is a sport.

and using your logic "if everyone could do it, they would" wouldn't we have a whole bunch of presidents of the united states?

i'm about to go hop in my car and head to work. the most athletic part of this action is the walk from my front door to my car.
I think I agree.

While it would involve some level of stamina to be behind the wheel for so long, I don't see much in the way of "physical exertion" as described below.

And as to "why doesn't everyone do it" to argue that is is a sport, I mean I can drive pretty fast in my non-race car on the interstate if I want to, difference being that state laws limit how fast I'm allowed to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthommes View Post
Where does auto racing go awry based on the below?

sport
/sp˘rt/

Noun
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
What is the physical exertion? It may require stamina as I said above, but turning the steering wheel and keeping pressure applied to a gas pedal isn't exactly the same as literally running a relay.

Is banking a sport then? I have to physically exert myself to stand up, count cash, type, walk customers to an ATM, fill deposit slips, etc. while competing against co-workers for transactions or as a team against, say, US Bank.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM

Regardless of whether or not you want to call it a sport I fail to see how watching people make left hand turns for 500 miles can be considered an enjoyable time.

Just get a lawn chair and sit on the side of the freeway.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

1 is the main car race i watch. The drivers go through the same g force as fighter pilots. They are going from 300k's to 80 in 50 metres. In some corners they are pulling 5+ gs while going 280ks. NASCAR is hard to argue for cause its in circles.

Everyone can drive, everyone can run but there are only so many who cqn do it at the highest level. Why do fans go? Cause its entertainmeny. The noise of the engines, the apeed of the cars, seeing some amazing overtaking manouvers. I think when you understand how hard the drivers are wrking you appreciate it more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM
When all else fails

Quote:
for the record i don't consider golf a sport either. more of a leisurely activity that you can play competitively, like pool.
Starting tonight I want you to go hit 500 golf balls at the golf range until Wednesday evening. Come Thursday morning I want you to go walk 18 holes for four straight days. At the end of the week you will have walked several miles and swung the club roughly 800 or so times. Next Monday report back to us on how you still think golf is a leisurely sport.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
Starting tonight I want you to go hit 500 golf balls at the golf range until Wednesday evening. Come Thursday morning I want you to go walk 18 holes for four straight days. At the end of the week you will have walked several miles and swung the club roughly 800 or so times. Next Monday report back to us on how you still think golf is a leisurely sport.
Or... go drive a car around in circles for 500 miles without air conditioning, in 120 degree cabin temps, wearing a full fire suit and helmet, minimal steering assist, subjected to 2-3 Gs in corners, all the while maintaining the split second hyperfocus required to not become the next tradgedy people are waiting to see on TV. Also, be prepared to routinely communicate to your pit crew how yor car feels and handles, if adjustments to suspension are needed at the next pit. Oh, and no potty stops either...

I'm by no means a Nascar fan, but to trivialize what those drivers have to accomplish is pretty ignorant IMO.

Last edited by cthommes; 02-25-2013 at 03:55 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
i'm about to go hop in my car and head to work. the most athletic part of this action is the walk from my front door to my car.
I agree. You driving your car has absolutely nothing in common with driving a NASCAR, F1 car, Top Fuel Eliminator, or another kind of racing.

Are you going to drive your car 500 miles to work, while going 200 mph with other cars on either side of you, and another car 3 inches off your back bumper?

How about running 4 seconds in a quarter mile at over 300 mph? Will that be included in your commute?

It's competition. Therefore, it's a sport.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
How about running 4 seconds in a quarter mile at over 300 mph? Will that be included in your commute?
Oh don't get me started on drag racing. That's super easy, no skill at all. You just mash your right foot down when the light changes, no?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM

Doing high level math takes skill, that doesn't mean it's fun to watch people do it.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Doing high level math takes skill, that doesn't mean it's fun to watch people do it.
Unless you're a math fan.

Just like chess matches. Doesn't sound like much fun to watch, but it's a strategy game that draws hundreds of fans for world matches.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Closed Thread