Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
I see it from a different perpective. The rule is the rule. whether or not its done to meet its supposed purpose is not the rules fault but of those who are suppose to follow it.
Hence the 'ruse' comment.....as nobody, be it owners or league employee, will enforce it unless forced to.

GO BOLTS !
Old 01-12-2018, 10:43 AM

To be honest with you guys, it's pretty widely accepted that the rule is a complete farce. Teams will hire whoever they want, and this rule is not followed. Teams will make up excuses or basically interview candidates that don't even have a lick of a chance of getting the job, and this happens regularly.

In my view, the idea of the rule was a good one at heart, since there is a problem leaguewide at higher positions but unfortunately, the rule itself is a dumb one. Non-Execution of the rule as I alluded in my first paragraph aside, the principle is silly. The rule is inherently racist in my opinion. People should be treated equally. Mandating interview someone of a certain skin colour is inherently racist. I realize this can be argued, but regardless, that is my take on it. I wish the rule would be abolished.

Why can't we just hire people based on their ability to do the job? It's silly. This is just another good example of how terrible this rule has become.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4PT0R View Post
To be honest with you guys, it's pretty widely accepted that the rule is a complete farce. Teams will hire whoever they want, and this rule is not followed. Teams will make up excuses or basically interview candidates that don't even have a lick of a chance of getting the job, and this happens regularly.

In my view, the idea of the rule was a good one at heart, since there is a problem leaguewide at higher positions but unfortunately, the rule itself is a dumb one. Non-Execution of the rule as I alluded in my first paragraph aside, the principle is silly. The rule is inherently racist in my opinion. People should be treated equally. Mandating interview someone of a certain skin colour is inherently racist. I realize this can be argued, but regardless, that is my take on it. I wish the rule would be abolished.

Why can't we just hire people based on their ability to do the job? It's silly. This is just another good example of how terrible this rule has become.

You cannot possibly believe that a team hires someone because of their skin color, because I am here to tell you they do not. They get hired because the team believes they will turn the club into winners, which of course is based off of some perceived talent or ability.....

GO BOLTS !
Old 01-13-2018, 04:50 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
You cannot possibly believe that a team hires someone because of their skin color, because I am here to tell you they do not. They get hired because the team believes they will turn the club into winners, which of course is based off of some perceived talent or ability.....
I agree with your post.

But we complied with the rule AND hired a minority coach.

So Nah.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I agree with your post.

So Nah.
Would we have hired him without the rule? Chargers never ever had a minority head coach unless you include Gillman.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
Would we have hired him without the rule? Chargers never ever had a minority head coach unless you include Gillman.
Bow ties are no longer a "minority."
Zachary Crabtree
Martez Carter
Darius Leonard
Bryce Crawford

The woodMock '18
Old 01-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I agree with your post.

Eye am gonna vomit.

So Nah.

There it is.
Wasn't sure what I was reading at first.
Zachary Crabtree
Martez Carter
Darius Leonard
Bryce Crawford

The woodMock '18
Old 01-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4PT0R View Post

Yes, the teams will hire the guy that they want regardless of the Rooney rule.

However, what the Rooney rule achieves is allowing minorities to be interviewed, and the interview experience for the head coaching position is pretty much essential in order to grab one of the 32 rings. Lynn interviewed multiple times before he so impressed the Chargers brass that he was offered the job, and you'd have to believe that his name started circulating in NFL circles as a potential future head coach as a result of his "failed" interviews.

Before the Rooney rule was implemented, minorities rarely were given the chance to interview for the head coach position. Hence, (with the exceptions of Tony Dungy & Denny Green) they never gained interview experience, and the total number of African American head coaches remained stuck at two when the rule was implemented in 2002.

There is less of a need for the rule these days as the number of African American coaches has multiplied, but it still serves the purpose of getting the faces of those from different backgrounds in face-to-face interviews with largely white male billionaire owners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post

However, what the Rooney rule achieves is allowing minorities to be interviewed, and the interview experience for the head coaching position is pretty much essential in order to grab one of the 32 rings. Lynn interviewed multiple times before he so impressed the Chargers brass that he was offered the job, and you'd have to believe that his name started circulating in NFL circles as a potential future head coach as a result of his "failed" interviews.

Before the Rooney rule was implemented, minorities rarely were given the chance to interview for the head coach position. Hence, (with the exceptions of Tony Dungy & Denny Green) they never gained interview experience, and the total number of African American head coaches remained stuck at two when the rule was implemented in 2002.

There is less of a need for the rule these days as the number of African American coaches has multiplied, but it still serves the purpose of getting the faces of those from different backgrounds in face-to-face interviews with largely white male billionaire owners.
Agree. Well said
Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post

that was a pretty amazing explanation.

Unleash the Rivers!!!