Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents/Trade Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2018, 10:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Jonathan Hankins RUN STOPPER

Chargers were terrible against the run last season and they haven't made any moves in FA to improve it. Hankins is still available and he's a stud against the run. He fills a major need and should instantly improve the run D. Make it happen Tom.

I got 1 pick right 😂😂😂, Nnadi in the 2nd would have been really good.

1. Derwin James PLAYMAKER
2. Derrick Nnadi DT
3. Rashaad Penny RB
4. Jerome Baker LB
5. Josh Swest DE
6. Shaquem Griffin LB
7. Korey Robertson WR
Old 03-21-2018, 10:54 PM
HOFer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully-Charged View Post
Chargers were terrible against the run last season and they haven't made any moves in FA to improve it. Hankins is still available and he's a stud against the run. He fills a major need and should instantly improve the run D. Make it happen Tom.
All depends on what he is looking for contract wise. If he is looking for any more than 3-5 mil a yr then his position doesn't warrant it. Maybe he has priced himself out as his contract he just lost was for 10 mil avg a year.

Do you want Hankins and Vea? 2 players that may see a combined 50% of snaps?

Mack Wilson (LB) BAMA, Jalen Jelks (DE) ORE, Gerald Willis III (DT) TheU, Paul Adams (OT) MIZ, Nasir Adderley (FS/CB) UD, Davion Davis (WR/RS) SHSU, Eli Dunne (QB) UNI

“The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe it.” Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Old 03-22-2018, 07:38 AM
All-Pro

Last I heard, he had left the Skins without a deal, and was possibly visiting Detroit...also headed that way at the time was Sylvester Williams, and also Detroit was trying to deal for Ricky Jean Francois...and since they have signed Williams I think...

I find it curious that there isn't more movement on Hankins...either there is a health issue, or he is pricing himself out of the market. If it's money, works for me...the other DT needy teams will sign other guys, and Hankins will still be available, with a rolled back price. I'm even ok with him being bounced back to Washington...less likely they will target DT in the first round if they land him, and they pick before us. If we don't pursue him, fine...means he isn't for us.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:44 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by like54ninjas View Post
All depends on what he is looking for contract wise. If he is looking for any more than 3-5 mil a yr then his position doesn't warrant it. Maybe he has priced himself out as his contract he just lost was for 10 mil avg a year.

I hate when people use this....it's not the percentage of snaps that is important. It's stopping the run on first and second, putting the other team in third and long...doing that effectively on a consistent basis is how you put the other team behind the eight ball, and how you get your offense back on the field quicker...and if the other team goes into come from behind passing mode, putting our big body on the sideline? Then he has proven his worth...

To me, that's worth a first rounder.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Bolt View Post
[/B]

I hate when people use this....it's not the percentage of snaps that is important. It's stopping the run on first and second, putting the other team in third and long...doing that effectively on a consistent basis is how you put the other team behind the eight ball, and how you get your offense back on the field quicker...and if the other team goes into come from behind passing mode, putting our big body on the sideline? Then he has proven his worth...

Hate it all you want, but the reality is cost/return is a significant component to roster building and long term health of the club (in financial terms). Failing to include this in the decision making is a quick way to get fired for any GM.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:55 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Hate it all you want, but the reality is cost/return is a significant component to roster building and long term health of the club (in financial terms). Failing to include this in the decision making is a quick way to get fired for any GM.
I believe I just explained the cost return....number of snaps not important. Third and long on a consistent basis is.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I believe I just explained the cost return....number of snaps not important. Third and long on a consistent basis is.
I figured my post was a waste of time, you confirmed my belief.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
I figured my post was a waste of time, you confirmed my belief.

Won't you Bag Up to help the Chargers cause ?

Give. Give till it hurts.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:05 PM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like54ninjas View Post

Quote:
[/B]

I actually agree with likeninjas here, I'm all for stopping the run but when you spend 70% of the time in subpackages you need guys who can get after the QB. I think there is a roster spot for a premier dedicated run stopper, but not 2. Then comes a question of how much resources you want to dedicate to this(these) run stopper(s).

That's actually my fundamental issue with taking Vea so high.
4. Shaquem Griffin, LB
5. Poona Ford, DT
6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB
7. Trey Quinn, WR

UDFA. CB Grant Haley, S Troy Apke, OT Korey Cunningham, DE Mike Love

"Penetration is needed" - Woodeye via TT
Old 03-22-2018, 01:11 PM
HOFer in Training

Quote:
What $$$ & length would this contract you propose for Hankins look like?

Mack Wilson (LB) BAMA, Jalen Jelks (DE) ORE, Gerald Willis III (DT) TheU, Paul Adams (OT) MIZ, Nasir Adderley (FS/CB) UD, Davion Davis (WR/RS) SHSU, Eli Dunne (QB) UNI

“The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe it.” Neil DeGrasse Tyson