Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2018, 01:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Default Unpopular opinion: Rivers deserves MVP

Quote:
And this isn't merely throwing Rivers a bone. He deserves to be in the conversation. His Chargers are 3-2. The losses came at the hands of the league's two undefeated teams. He didn't lose to the Buccaneers in Week 1, like Drew Brees did. He also didn't get pushed to the brink the following week by the Browns (again, like Brees did). He didn't lay an egg in Week 3 against a Lions team that was winless at the time, like Tom Brady did. Yet, Brees and Brady are certainly getting more love than Rivers when it comes to the MVP discussion. And I'm old enough to remember when Alvin Kamara was an MVP candidate, too.

I also want to point out that those two losses were not Rivers' fault. The Chargers' defense hasn't been the same without Joey Bosa, who has yet to play a down this season. I know it's unfair to give Rivers credit for overcoming his defense's shortcomings while not giving Brees and Brady the same kind of consideration. But the world is not fair, so that's what I'm going to do. Fine, I won't. Here's something that is fair to say: Nobody is playing better at quarterback right now than Rivers. Let's look at the numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-mvp-candidate
Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 AM
Hall of Famer

I would love Rivers to win MVP (Super Bowl first and foremost, although every team in the league only has a 3% chance of doing so at the beginning of the season).

As long as it isn't Brady, so sick of that guy (or Rodgers either the way the media slobbers all over him).
Old 10-11-2018, 06:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Rivers work ethic is second to none. You want to say the film studying while on the 405/ 5 south on his way to San Diego coming from practice is bound to pay off. In order for him to be MVP, he's gotta imitate Rocky and lead the Bolts to wins over the top teams in the league. Not just the Chiefs later this season which would be huge but also well into the playoffs against the Patriots and/ or Jaguars.

I know playoffs don't count for MVP it be nice to see him make a run to the Super Bowl. Winning it would be a beautiful thing. Well deserved if he can accomplish it. He's gotta be the man to earn it. No choking here just championship plays leading to wins.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Browns forum calls PR a HOFer.

They are talking plenty of junk about LAC too.

I believe we are going to give their rookie QB some problems.
jordan brailford
dante olson
charles omenihu
anthony ratliff-williams
josh oliver
Old 10-11-2018, 09:00 AM
I be humbolt

Bit early to be talking about this. Rivers is great, early on having one of his best years ever. But a few other QBs are also playing lights out this season. Only 5 games in. Have this convo in Week 12.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Adam Rank just catapulted to #1 on my list of sports writers.
3. O.Brown Jr, OT, Oklahoma
4. G.Avery, LB, Memphis
5. M.Cole, OL, Michigan
6. K.Kelly, DB, SDSU
7. A.Simmons, PRS, Georgia Tech
Old 10-11-2018, 09:39 AM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
Bit early to be talking about this. Rivers is great, early on having one of his best years ever. But a few other QBs are also playing lights out this season. Only 5 games in. Have this convo in Week 12.
Agreed. If PR continues to put up a QBR North of 115 and gets his team to the playoffs, then he should be a front-runner. Also, I think he needs to actually beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead.

That being said, I find it very hard to believe that he would actually win it even if the things I posited actually happen. MVP is a popularity contest and the Chargers have the fewest fans in the NFL. How else can you explain PR being rated as the 56th best player in the NFL.... behind QBs like Keenum (51), Goff (38), Stafford (31), Ryan (29), Cam (25), Big Ben (18) and Wilson (11). In 2017, he had 62 passing yards less than Brady in 25 fewer attempts... and Brady won the MVP and was rated #1.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
How else can you explain PR being rated as the 56th best player in the NFL.... behind QBs like Keenum (51), Goff (38), Stafford (31), Ryan (29), Cam (25), Big Ben (18) and Wilson (11). In 2017, he had 62 passing yards less than Brady in 25 fewer attempts... and Brady won the MVP and was rated #1.
This list sickens me and that is even before this years good start.

What a joke that Keenum ... Cam ... Rapersburger ... and Wilson are ranked higher ... I'd rank Goff higher than them as of now also.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Lets wait and see if he can keep performing. Last time this MVP talked happened he went into a down spiral and was chucking up INT's.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Hall of Famer

over mahomes, goff, and brady (who will be in that conversation in 3.. 2.. 1..)?

i dont think rivers ever stood a chance tbh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.