Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Mo’ Hurts

I'm kinda scratching my head thinking I watched a different game/practice week than some of you guys..

1 - Nwosu did not look good to me, he was getting stonewalled by various OTs all week in practice. He was one of the few guys that under-impressed me, I was expecting much more from him.

2 - Leonard is tricky. He looked great in practices because he is a really good athlete and in 1-on-1s he stuck to his man pretty easily. The problem was during the game, he was constantly late to react and taking false steps in the wrong direction... So I'm worried about his instincts.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Cut: WR Benjamin
FA: LB Barr, K Gostkowski/Gould, S Amos

Old 01-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Cha-gers View Post
Thanks for posting, it's interesting but I hope those Chargers 'sources' wouldn't give away the teams draft strategy until after the draft, I think I'll take this with a huge grain of salt, it's not liars month yet, I hope their starting early regarding this rumor and creating a smoke screen.

Separately, the Senior Bowl was worth watching, some good performances, how bout Long Snapper Tanner Carew from Oregon on ST's? .... 2 tackles and 1 or 2 downed punts?, impressive performance and hustle, I hope he's on the Chargers radar as a priority UDFA.

He was interviewed by A. Andrews this week and did Rubik's cube while being asked questions by Andrews in just over 1 min .... also impressive.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...at-Senior-Bowl

Go Chargers!
Carew is a trip! He tore up his team's Bowl game also. I remembered him for that, then he did it again. Definitely a STs star. I'd give him a 6th rd pick.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
I'm kinda scratching my head thinking I watched a different game/practice week than some of you guys..

1 - Nwosu did not look good to me, he was getting stonewalled by various OTs all week in practice. He was one of the few guys that under-impressed me, I was expecting much more from him.

2 - Leonard is tricky. He looked great in practices because he is a really good athlete and in 1-on-1s he stuck to his man pretty easily. The problem was during the game, he was constantly late to react and taking false steps in the wrong direction... So I'm worried about his instincts.
IMO, Nwosu is a good SAM prospect. What he did really well in the game was set the edge in the run game. He wasn't overly impressive in pass rush. But as a SAM, that would be a secondary role anyway. As an occasional pass rusher, I think he will be effective. Senior Bowl ran a lot of vanilla defense. At USC, Nwosu showed well stunting. I have him as a 3rd round prospect.

Loenard is just 1 of many raw talents at LB this year. He'll be an option in later rounds 6-7. There are so many LB's this year. He'll need to be developed. Guys take false steps early on in their careers... much less in a Bowl game with limited practice reps and new teammates.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
IMO, Nwosu is a good SAM prospect. What he did really well in the game was set the edge in the run game. He wasn't overly impressive in pass rush. But as a SAM, that would be a secondary role anyway. As an occasional pass rusher, I think he will be effective. Senior Bowl ran a lot of vanilla defense. At USC, Nwosu showed well stunting. I have him as a 3rd round prospect.

Loenard is just 1 of many raw talents at LB this year. He'll be an option in later rounds 6-7. There are so many LB's this year. He'll need to be developed. Guys take false steps early on in their careers... much less in a Bowl game with limited practice reps and new teammates.
Fair point on Nwosu, still he was so explosive at points in college that i expected a better showing from him.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Old 01-30-2018, 12:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Fair point on Nwosu, still he was so explosive at points in college that i expected a better showing from him.
I was hoping for more, too. I don't see him as a great pass rusher. I don't think teams will be looking at him as a DE. I think he'll see a solid SAM in the NFL. Keep an eye out for his ability to cover during the combine. If he shows that skillset, teams may even see him as an ILB. He's got the size to play ILB/OLB in multiple schemes... if he can move in space.

The other guy I'd hope to see more out of as a pass rusher was Okoronkwo. I think he can be a good SAM also.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Wow. He's tape jumps at you so I can see why your disappointed in his play. Nwosu pass rushes like he's on one smooth rail line to the quarterback. He made tackles look silly at the collegiate level. His first love was basketball so I can see his baller instincts come to play on defense.

Nwosu would be at home with the Bolts. His family hails from Carson, CA. Stub Hub is his home sweet home.
Quote:

Old 01-30-2018, 02:09 AM
Hall of Famer

Nwosu is a former Safety.
Good ball skills. NLB.
Sets the EDGE. SAM.
Size and closing speed. MIKE.
Burst and bend. PRS.
Needs counter move.
Cannot rush passer @ NFL on athleticism only.
ST while learning.
Build LB depth.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
Wow. He's tape jumps at you so I can see why your disappointed in his play. Nwosu pass rushes like he's on one smooth rail line to the quarterback. He made tackles look silly at the collegiate level. His first love was basketball so I can see his baller instincts come to play on defense.

Nwosu would be at home with the Bolts. His family hails from Carson, CA. Stub Hub is his home sweet home.
The basketball skill shows up when he swats passes away like he is blocking shots. He has a knack for timing the QB throw whether he is rushing or dropping. He will create some turnovers and change a open 3rd down pass into a 4th down.
Right now this is where he can impact the game. Looks average at shedding blocks and defending the run. But its a QB driven passing league and he has ability to be disruptive there.
3. T.HANKS-LB, NEW MEXICO ST.
D.TRANQUILL-LB, NOTRE DAME
5. I.MARSHALL-DB, USC
6. K.WILLIS-S, MICHIGAN ST.
7. K.ADAMS-S, KANSAS ST.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Nwosu deflects AND INTERCEPTS passes ! On inside blitzes. Much flexibility. Rapid improvement.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:34 PM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post

disappointed in his play during senior bowl week. I guess I just expected him to dominate.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB