Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2016, 11:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
Wrong again. Spanos is a San Diegan as much as you are. IF all he cared about was the buck, he'd be in LA. Period. The value of the Bolts would double overnight.
The value of the Bolts doesn't matter unless he's going to sell all or a portion of the shares. See my comments in the stadium section. Selling A. Spanos' shares is an option for the Spanos family. But they won't do that if the team remains in SD due to the valuation. That's where a move to LA would benefit the Spanos.

But in as far as football operations go it's the revenues that count. A new stadium would have more luxury boxes and luxury seating. The revenue from those are not shared thus making more $$$ for the individual club/owners. More money for the club means better facilities, higher salaries for the scouts, coaches and training staff and more cash on hand to sign big contracts. Thus Spanos is correct when he says he needs to stay competitive. The Chargers are in the bottom half of the revenue stream due to an aging stadium. It's the same with the Raiders and was the same for the Rams who were dead last in revenue in St. Louis. Which is why they moved.

Spanos has lived in SD for a long time now. His kids grew up here. So when you say he's San Diegan you would be correct. However he has been holding the LA card over SD for many years now. This is not something new.

He needs public assistance in SD because he can't do it on his own. Public assistance for a new stadium in CA is at best a difficult task. The 49ers ended up doing it on their own, partly because of the location and the cooperation of the Santa Clara politicians. The Raiders have been stuck just like the Chargers. The Rams lucked out in that their owner is super rich.

So what it comes down to is business. Emotionally Spanos probably wants to stay in SD. But it's got to make good business sense. LA too for that matter. Remember he's got a $600M relocation fee hanging over his head. If it weren't for that he'd already be gone. That fee looms large as it takes a bite out of his revenue stream. The NFL would want payback over some period of years.

In my opinion his best financial move would be to move to LA and sell A. Spanos 30% stake. That would make a move to LA essentially free, but losing 30% may not be what Spanos wants. If he doesn't sell a move to LA would be very expensive. That's pretty much why SD has been in the running, but only if he can get financial assistance.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Moderator of Insanity

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...207-story.html
Quote:
“I really do believe that it’s a tremendous organization,” said Rivera, the defensive coordinator on the last Bolts team to win the AFC West, in 2009. “I think the Spanos family has done a great job there.”
Old 12-08-2016, 02:45 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyBoltsFan View Post
SOMEBODY is tanking in Carolina and wants to leave the door open for a future Chargers interview.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Forever San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
SOMEBODY is tanking in Carolina and wants to leave the door open for a future Chargers interview.
/agreed

Rivera reminds me of Gruden... Will prob never say a negative thing about anybody (to the media).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Hall of Famer

would we want Rivera as the HC?! Id say yes, with the right guys around him. As for Spanos, we need him and his entire family out of football operations.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygobrett View Post
would we want Rivera as the HC?! Id say yes, with the right guys around him. As for Spanos, we need him and his entire family out of football operations.
I do not think an all encompassing statement like the bold above is fair. It (family in positions of operations) should be evaluated just like any other employee is. We cannot know the answer to this question, but the answer should determine the direction: Is J Spanos making solid decisions about player evaluations ? (the presumption being he is the final decider on all player moves, which could be incorrect)

The easy question is: Has McCoy performed well enough to retain as HC ?

Clearly he has not.

GO BOLTS !
Old 12-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
I do not think an all encompassing statement like the bold above is fair. It (family in positions of operations) should be evaluated just like any other employee is. We cannot know the answer to this question, but the answer should determine the direction: Is J Spanos making solid decisions about player evaluations ? (the presumption being he is the final decider on all player moves, which could be incorrect)

The easy question is: Has McCoy performed well enough to retain as HC ?

Clearly he has not.
J. Spanos took over the drafting dept, I think in 2007 or 2008. At any rate the top dog there doesn't necessarily make the personnel choices. We've been told that the Chargers use a consensus method. When there is no consensus then we have to assume the GM makes the decision.

However J. Spanos would be responsible for the hiring and firing of the scouts and the management of that whole operation. Since he took over, with few exceptions the drafts have been below average. Can't say for sure it's on J. Spanos, it's just where the evidence points too.

I'm assuming you don't hire a HC without the nod from Spanos (Dean, I'm guessing). But TT most likely made the choice.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
J. Spanos took over the drafting dept, I think in 2007 or 2008. At any rate the top dog there doesn't necessarily make the personnel choices. We've been told that the Chargers use a consensus method. When there is no consensus then we have to assume the GM makes the decision.

However J. Spanos would be responsible for the hiring and firing of the scouts and the management of that whole operation. Since he took over, with few exceptions the drafts have been below average. Can't say for sure it's on J. Spanos, it's just where the evidence points too.

I'm assuming you don't hire a HC without the nod from Spanos (Dean, I'm guessing). But TT most likely made the choice.

My personal experience (no, not with the SD Chargers) tells me everything you wrote is how the Team wants the public to think it goes, but I do not believe for a second it is that way. When the 'consensus' is being built, those that are expressing an opinion are speaking right to the person making the decision, not to the room in general. This isn't an American jury room where everyone has equal say in the outcome.

GO BOLTS !
Old 12-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
My personal experience (no, not with the SD Chargers) tells me everything you wrote is how the Team wants the public to think it goes, but I do not believe for a second it is that way. When the 'consensus' is being built, those that are expressing an opinion are speaking right to the person making the decision, not to the room in general. This isn't an American jury room where everyone has equal say in the outcome.
For the most part I think you're correct. Some voices are going to be heard more than others. The GM usually has the final say. But he should be listening the what the HC, scouts and others are saying. In some cases there is going to be good agreement. In other cases strong disagreement. The GM should be the deciding factor when it's all said and done.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:58 PM
LAme

1. Maurice Hurst, DT
2. James Daniels, C
3. Rashaad Penny, RB
4. Brandon Parker, OT
5. Damon Webb, S
6. Jack Cichy, LB
7. Ja’Von Rolland-Jones, Edge
UDFA. Brian Womac LB, Teo Redding WR, Cole Reyes S, Mychealon Thomas NT