Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Default Should we have gotten Gruden?

An ongoing thread (yes, I know it goes elsewhere, but this is a swansong) about freezing cold takes.

Sure, Chucky could turn them around, but he won't. He's done.

So I just want to either eat or serve crow regarding the Cowher/Gruden brigade that has infested these boards for years.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Marion Butts

can we merge this into the Norv/AJ/Marty Thread?

-Mario Lopez
Old 09-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Were there still people that wanted him here? I thought the prevailing opinion since the hire (not just here, but everywhere) was that he was going to fail miserably.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:01 PM
outback goon

ive always liked Gruden
ppl bash him for Tampa without realizing he was without two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks. No coach can succeed without draft picks. We as Charger fans should know this.

He was successful with Raiders and Tampa before, i think he will again. Some say he was out of football too long and the game has passed him, yet he was still around the NFL and talking to new stars every week.

I wanted him bad, but alas my football knowledge may be lacking in this area.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Legend

As a commentator, he was infatuated with Philip Rivers. My thought was he'd do what it takes to get him an immovable O-line, and grant with any and all weapons at his disposal.

We got the O-line, anyway, but with that impression of him I wouldn't have been bothered if we chose to coach to team.

But with the insane contract, I'm glad we didn't. (Not that we would've signed him to that, anyway.)

And with the head-scratching personnel decisions he's made so far, not sure I'd be all too thrilled.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Agreed. If he just stuck to coaching and had no influence on general management attaining of players, I'd be all in.

He's a brilliant football mind. Has the game passed him by? Will find out this season. One thing that's questionable is our current coach and growing tendency for being out coached in big time games. It's not even close. I would of loved to see Gruden game plan as our HC against teams on Sundays.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
One thing that's questionable is our current coach and growing tendency for being out coached in big time games. It's not even close.
He does get out-coached. This is not what you should expect from someone who supposedly learned from Mike Shanahan or Bill Walsh. If Lynn can't manage more than 9 wins, then he's no better than Mccoy. Did you see how undisciplined the players were? Players on the defense let a Chiefs player just walk into the end zone. Disgusting. Then there were times where Ingram, a star player, get too eager and commit penalties. There was so much wrong with the team. Some of the players didn't seem to practice well.

TT oughta consider moving on from Lynn if the team isn't having the success they're envisioning. Now that the team is in LA the organization can't afford to keep falling behind and play these catch-up games. They need to win games and not fall behind again. Because they're losing fans. As if it wasn't bad enough already.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
He does get out-coached. This is not what you should expect from someone who supposedly learned from Mike Shanahan or Bill Walsh. If Lynn can't manage more than 9 wins, then he's no better than Mccoy. Did you see how undisciplined the players were? Players on the defense let a Chiefs player just walk into the end zone. Disgusting. Then there were times where Ingram, a star player, get too eager and commit penalties. There was so much wrong with the team. Some of the players didn't seem to practice well.

TT oughta consider moving on from Lynn if the team isn't having the success they're envisioning. Now that the team is in LA the organization can't afford to keep falling behind and play these catch-up games. They need to win games and not fall behind again. Because they're losing fans. As if it wasn't bad enough already.

they are not moving on from LYnn because he's cheap and no major moves will be made until they are out of the band box soccer stadium.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Reality professor

Nobody can save this team until the owner sells.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:06 PM

No, we should have got T. HILL AND A. ***arA. NO WAY OUR COACHES CAN MESS THAT UP