Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Official Stuff > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the level of interaction by the Mods on this board?
There are too many posts & threads deleted and the mods are too ban-happy 18 46.15%
Moderating is about right 18 46.15%
The moderators are not active enough / should lock or delete more threads. Ban Chargerbomb 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Referendum on Message Board Moderating

I, personally, have never seen or heard of a message board with as many locked and/or merged threads, deleted posts, suspensions, etc., as this board. In my opinion, it is extremely excessive, and ruins the message board experience. However, it is difficult to gauge whether others feel this way, simply because the moderators frequently delete posts that complain about the moderating, and ban posters who complain. At the risk of being banned (yet again), I would like to start this poll to see what the rest of the Chargers.com community thinks.

Please vote, so that we can see whether this level of interaction by the moderators is supported by the greater community. Moderators, please do not delete this poll. This is the feedback forum, and the poll is designed to provide feedback.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Carpe Diem

Norv is great ...AJ is a genious......Chargerland is the happiest place on earth, blah , blah, blah. Say anything different you will be censored, post deleted or banned. There is no free speech here, but then again its the chargers message board and they not only own it but make the rules. The mods are only doing as they are told.......crush any rebellion with an iron fist and keep the minions in line. We either accept this or choose to not be here.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:33 PM
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

I've been on forums where its a lot worse than the cmb. I've never been banned but have had warnings about posting stream links. You can very easily get your opinion across on here. I can post my feelings about Norv without getting in trouble.

I will say the mods can ban people for quite miniscule things. If your a frequent cabo visitor then you're going to get lengthier bans.

I also feel that some members create threads just to stand out. They feel like their opinion isn't focused on if they were to just post in a thread. This could be down to too much thread merging. Honestly if you post a "Fire Norv" thread do you really think it won't be merged. Just cause you make a thread it doesn't make your opinion any more important than someone elses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Most,are blind sheep!

The mods are only reacting as the rules demand...unless they're involved, then they use a double standard. Many on here get reprimanded for antagonistic comments, yet some mods consistently do it. The problem seems to be more about the title itself. They need a new moniker since the actions are far from moderate. Not all, just some.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:30 AM
Draft Nut

Once upon a time when the Internet was new and the Charger boards were as well before we even had this place we had a board and every thread would end in name calling and personal attacks.

Most folks grew tired of that and would give up and stop posting. The few who did not took pleasure in running the boards.

Finally this changed with mods trying to keep the peace.The job is a hard one and few folks have the ability to do the job well and none make all the posters happy all the time.

However the ability to post your thoughts and interface with lots and lots of folks is in fact in place.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Never been a Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMANCIL View Post
Once upon a time when the Internet was new and the Charger boards were as well before we even had this place we had a board and every thread would end in name calling and personal attacks.

Most folks grew tired of that and would give up and stop posting. The few who did not took pleasure in running the boards.

Finally this changed with mods trying to keep the peace.The job is a hard one and few folks have the ability to do the job well and none make all the posters happy all the time.

However the ability to post your thoughts and interface with lots and lots of folks is in fact in place.

Merry Christmas.

^ This^^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Now ChargerFanInPB

This place is ridiculous. And once a mod gets a personal thing against you, look out.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerFanInBuf View Post
This place is ridiculous. And once a mod gets a personal thing against you, look out.
This is kinda true. I am pretty sure all my post are monitored by one of the mods here. Also the funny thing is when Mods say you can't do this and that but they allow others to do it. It baffles me.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Where the heck is joemcrug?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Wow, there is actually a thread where individuals can complain about the moderating without fear of repercussions? Props to the mods for giving posters a place to vent.

In all honesty, my problem with regards to moderating is not really with any of the individual mods themselves. It's with the actual selection process of the moderators. When you think of the term "moderator," you think of someone who controls and regulates conflict, not instigates or adds to it. As such, moderator candidates should be those with a long-standing history of calm and civil discussion, and a demonstrated ability to keep a cool and calm head when all others around them are losing theirs. People like SDDon and myself, for example, would not make good moderator candidates. We are both too emotionally attached to our respective sides of the issue. It does not damage my ego at all to admit that I'm not cut out to be a moderator. Some of us just weren't made for the role.

Conversely, the current moderator lineup features some individuals who were well known for getting into rough and tumble, vitriolic dogfights on the CMB before they ever became moderators. At least one of them even had the misfortune of experiencing the banhammer himself when he was a regular poster, as he once confided in me. Despite this, someone saw fit to suit these guys up with their own hammer and give them the title of moderator. Is that their fault? No. They are who they are, and this was well-known before they ever actually became a moderator. If someone were to give me a moderator hammer right now, it should come as no surprise to anyone if my actions are heavily biased against those who are pro-AJ and Norv. Likewise, if you take a fellow like SDDon and give him the moderator title, his actions are obviously going to be biased against the AJ and Norv critics. And that wouldn't be anyone's fault but the person who give him the title in the first place.

So I think that if we are to change moderating on the CMB for the better and so that it is friendlier to a wider range of people, the process of moderator selection needs to be a more thoughtful and diligent process. It can't just be "Whoever is best known for defending the head coach and GM." Other qualifications, such as personality traits, debating styles, and temperament need to be closely looked at as well.

Closed Thread