Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Official Stuff > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the level of interaction by the Mods on this board?
There are too many posts & threads deleted and the mods are too ban-happy 18 46.15%
Moderating is about right 18 46.15%
The moderators are not active enough / should lock or delete more threads. Ban Chargerbomb 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerfan78 View Post
Wow, there is actually a thread where individuals can complain about the moderating without fear of repercussions? Props to the mods for giving posters a place to vent.

In all honesty, my problem with regards to moderating is not really with any of the individual mods themselves. It's with the actual selection process of the moderators. When you think of the term "moderator," you think of someone who controls and regulates conflict, not instigates or adds to it. As such, moderator candidates should be those with a long-standing history of calm and civil discussion, and a demonstrated ability to keep a cool and calm head when all others around them are losing theirs. People like SDDon and myself, for example, would not make good moderator candidates. We are both too emotionally attached to our respective sides of the issue. It does not damage my ego at all to admit that I'm not cut out to be a moderator. Some of us just weren't made for the role.

Conversely, the current moderator lineup features some individuals who were well known for getting into rough and tumble, vitriolic dogfights on the CMB before they ever became moderators. At least one of them even had the misfortune of experiencing the banhammer himself when he was a regular poster, as he once confided in me. Despite this, someone saw fit to suit these guys up with their own hammer and give them the title of moderator. Is that their fault? No. They are who they are, and this was well-known before they ever actually became a moderator. If someone were to give me a moderator hammer right now, it should come as no surprise to anyone if my actions are heavily biased against those who are pro-AJ and Norv. Likewise, if you take a fellow like SDDon and give him the moderator title, his actions are obviously going to be biased against the AJ and Norv critics. And that wouldn't be anyone's fault but the person who give him the title in the first place.

So I think that if we are to change moderating on the CMB for the better and so that it is friendlier to a wider range of people, the process of moderator selection needs to be a more thoughtful and diligent process. It can't just be "Whoever is best known for defending the head coach and GM." Other qualifications, such as personality traits, debating styles, and temperament need to be closely looked at as well.

They've rejected me numerous times

Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Try cash payments, it's how I got selected.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Your monopoly money cashiers check bounced. Pay up!!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkerbasser View Post
They've rejected me numerous times
I gave my application to pacstud. He promised he'd turn it in for me, and not throw it in his fireplace.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I gave my application to pacstud. He promised he'd turn it in for me, and not throw it in his fireplace.
You were almost in until:

Quote:
myself, for example, would not make good moderator candidates. It does not damage my ego at all to admit that I'm not cut out to be a moderator. Some of us just weren't made for the role.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
So I think that if we are to change moderating on the CMB for the better and so that it is friendlier to a wider range of people, the process of moderator selection needs to be a more thoughtful and diligent process. It can't just be "Whoever is best known for defending the head coach and GM." Other qualifications, such as personality traits, debating styles, and temperament need to be closely looked at as well.
So you're saying this was the only thing considered during the selection process?

Maybe you should drop Chargeroo and ChargerDave a pm and tell them that.

This whole "moderators are supposed to be moderate" nonsense is just that. Each moderator here was well known before they became moderators. Their personality traits, debating styles, and temperament were well known to those making the selection.

As per the instructions I received when I was picked, I was told to "enjoy the forums first, moderate second." First and foremost, we're posters just like you. We're just as entitled to our opinions, and free to post them, as everyone else is.

That doesn't mean you have to agree, and that doesn't mean we have to agree with you. That wasn't part of the deal. Neither was sitting on our hands if there is a subject we want to chime in on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide how to spend that 14 cents.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
I'm still trying to decide how to spend that 14 cents.
Don't tell Silly, he only got $.09
Old 01-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Don't tell Silly, he only got $.09
You told me you gave him a Ferrari?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
You told me you gave him a Ferrari?
Matchbox, stole it from my kid