Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 PM
glutton for punishment...

Default Lets Talk ILB...

We all know that ILB is a pretty big weakness for this team. When Perryman is out there is a glaring drop-off in our ability to stop the run and protect the middle of the field.... and I think it is safe to say that Perryman just can't stay healthy. We are in luck however, because there are several highly ranked ILBs in this draft and a couple that belong in the 2nd tier. Here is my list based on my preference and where they could be drafted. Videos of each should help the dialogue.

1st Round
Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech, 6'5'' 236

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYILvuqiBcs

Reshaan Evans, Alabama, 6'3'' 234

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWryYBBAylE

Roquan Smith, Georgia, 6'1'' 225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtqI3BQMtl0

2nd - 3rd Round
Micah Kiser, Virginia, 6'2'' 240

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL0myY0x42E (2016-2017, Too much slow mo, Sorry. Please post another if you get one)

Christian Sam, ASU 6'1'' 241

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R301CpSTP0

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
We all know that ILB is a pretty big weakness for this team. When Perryman is out there is a glaring drop-off in our ability to stop the run and protect the middle of the field.... and I think it is safe to say that Perryman just can't stay healthy. We are in luck however, because there are several highly ranked ILBs in this draft and a couple that belong in the 2nd tier. Here is my list based on my preference and where they could be drafted. Videos of each should help the dialogue.

1st Round
Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech, 6'5'' 236

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYILvuqiBcs

Reshaan Evans, Alabama, 6'3'' 234

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWryYBBAylE

Roquan Smith, Georgia, 6'1'' 225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtqI3BQMtl0

2nd - 3rd Round
Micah Kiser, Virginia, 6'2'' 240

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL0myY0x42E (2016-2017, Too much slow mo, Sorry. Please post another if you get one)

Christian Sam, ASU 6'1'' 241

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R301CpSTP0

One of the knocks on Kiser is he's not too good in coverage, whereas Rashaan Evans is solid in BOTH run-stuffing and coverage. Nice round 1-2 clusta you put together, Glut...
3. Charles Omenihu, DT, Texas
4. T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old 01-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Moderator of Delusions

This is round 1 or 2 pick. OT or ILB has to be the priority imo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:02 PM
All-Pro

Oren Burks, Nick Deluca, and Darius Leonard all playing tomorrow, and worth consideration mid rounds, if we opt for oline and dline early.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:06 PM
Hall of Famer

If TT adds some top end FA DT's, and D. James is the 1st rd pick, maybe the ILB's are not as bad as we think.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Bolt View Post
Oren Burks, Nick Deluca, and Darius Leonard all playing tomorrow, and worth consideration mid rounds, if we opt for oline and dline early.
I wasn't sold on Burks' game tape. But he's looked good in SB practices. Nick DeLuca was a favorite late round sleeper. There are a lot of later round LB's I like this year.

A guy I liked last year as a later round pick (Matt Milano) ended up starting and playing well for the Bills.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:39 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
If TT adds some top end FA DT's, and D. James is the 1st rd pick, maybe the ILB's are not as bad as we think.
Reasonable...ILB isn't the only way to fix the run defense, to be sure. Upgrading LB, DL, or SS are all ways to improve there...a consistently healthy Perryman would probably do the trick...

I don't think our linebackers are all that bad...but they do need Perryman in there as the foundation, or it seems to crumble. I think we could add a first round pick or solid FA there, and it would make a difference. But even if we go a different direction, and we very well might, adding a mid round thumper would be prudent, for depth, and to develop in the event Perryman isn't just unlucky, but injury prone.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:52 AM
All-Pro

I don't know about Micah Kiser having trouble in coverage...as a mid rounder, if you think it is fixable through coaching, I'd love to add him.
Van der Esch sounded awful intriguing to me early on, but now Im reading some so-so evals on him...and he did play at Boise State. Sure, the production is there...but he seems more methodical than instinctual...I would have liked to see him stacking and shedding, or knifing through traffic against some bigger talent at the senior bowl, but alas...

He is definitely a football player, but I don't know about second to late first that some of these pundits are predicting...jmo, but I would go no higher than our third on him.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:03 AM
All-Pro

I think R. Smith is gonna fall in this draft...maybe even to us. A huge combine may shine the light back on him, but if not...do we really want him? He is basically a blue chip version of Jatavis Brown...do we think he slumped a little, or has he hit a ceiling? Do we upgrade our Will at the expense of other positions? How much would he help our run defense, with his size and tackling skills? We would be faster, but stouter?

Very important questions, because like I said...very possible he slides due to other positions, QBs, and the climbing of Tremaine Edmunds and Rashaad Evans.

One last question...For us specifically...if Edmunds, Evans, and Smith are all there at 17(definitely hypothetical!!) who do you want for the Chargers, specifically?
Old 01-27-2018, 11:25 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Bolt View Post
I think R. Smith is gonna fall in this draft...maybe even to us. A huge combine may shine the light back on him, but if not...do we really want him? He is basically a blue chip version of Jatavis Brown...do we think he slumped a little, or has he hit a ceiling? Do we upgrade our Will at the expense of other positions? How much would he help our run defense, with his size and tackling skills? We would be faster, but stouter?

Very important questions, because like I said...very possible he slides due to other positions, QBs, and the climbing of Tremaine Edmunds and Rashaad Evans.

One last question...For us specifically...if Edmunds, Evans, and Smith are all there at 17(definitely hypothetical!!) who do you want for the Chargers, specifically?
I think the question about J. Brown is fair, and IMO he is a solid LB, that should be the man at the Will position.
The problem is, the coaches apparently disagree with me.
After playing an average of 95% of the D's snaps in the first four games, he went on to play just 30% of the snaps the rest of the season.
Our FO seems to think he shouldn't be on the field so much and I have no idea why.

That said, I think LB is a priority this off-season.

Seeing that, to me, our three biggest needs are OT, LB and DT, I would try to solve them through the 1st Rd, 2nd round and FA, respectively.

But, if the top OTs are gone and the scenario you proposed played out, I would go Smith, Evans/Edmunds.

To me Smith is the best overall LB that can do it all.
I like Evans better, but its hard to ignore Edmunds 2016 year.
After Smith, I'd be happy with either