Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2018, 12:27 PM
Hall of Famer

We lack speed at linebacker to get to the edge. I can recall Cordalle Patterson taking a reverse to the house and LeSean McCoy gashing us with long runs out wide this past season. We're super slow getting to the outside to make plays.

Roquan Smith not only has the instincts like Perryman to diagnose a play he can get there in a hurry and his recovery speed is amazing. Sideline to sideline speed is not a cliche as mentioned in scouting reports with Smith. He will make us better.

Question is do we draft an OT as the first pick or get a defensive player to neutralize an explosive offense like the Chiefs or Rams? Roquan Smith would be ideal in improving the Chargers last ranking in run defense. In return, as you mentioned he lacks the ideal size at the Pro level and may get eaten up by NFL linemen...it's a trade off.

Edmunds brings great size and quickness. He can explode into the backfield and plays quicker than his best 4.72 in the forty. Micah lacks lateral quickness though he was productive in total tackles in college. We have Perryman as our hammer so I'd pass on Micah.

Rashad Evans really is the most versatile player of the linebackers. Plays under control but fast and with a nasty attitude which I like. He had 10.5 tackles out of a total 66 for a loss, coupled with 7 QB hurries and 6 sacks. Described as an aggressive, alpha dog defensive player...plays with a nasty attitude which is a quality missing in our defense.

Smith, Edmunds or Evans would be starting linebackers immediately on our defense. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Derwin James was selected if he fell to us given Bradley likes to move the safety forward in run situations and his overall athletic ability can be used to defend the pass against the opponents best receiver slot/TE or WR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Bolt View Post
I think R. Smith is gonna fall in this draft...maybe even to us. A huge combine may shine the light back on him, but if not...do we really want him? He is basically a blue chip version of Jatavis Brown...do we think he slumped a little, or has he hit a ceiling? Do we upgrade our Will at the expense of other positions? How much would he help our run defense, with his size and tackling skills? We would be faster, but stouter?

Very important questions, because like I said...very possible he slides due to other positions, QBs, and the climbing of Tremaine Edmunds and Rashaad Evans.

One last question...For us specifically...if Edmunds, Evans, and Smith are all there at 17(definitely hypothetical!!) who do you want for the Chargers, specifically?

Last edited by ltinabottle; 01-29-2018 at 07:01 AM..
Old 01-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Center with the first pick...hope one of the big three LBs drops down to us?

Or one of the big three LBs in the first.... Ragnow or Daniels from Iowa in the second?
Old 01-27-2018, 01:18 PM
Hall of Famer

What about Dorian O'Daniel from Clemson?

Quote:
While O’Daniel lines up at linebacker, he has safety size at 215 pounds and the ball skills of a defensive back. During drills on Wednesday and later in scrimmage, O’Daniel shut down every tight end or running back he was asked to cover. Most impressive was the way he runs with opponents, tracks the ball in the air and defends the pass.
http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-risers-day-2

Seems like a good gusD type of LBer.... no?
Old 01-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Hall of Famer

If your looking to upgrade the LBs.
It starts with upgrading the strong side LB Emanuel.
Then weak side LB Brown.
And finally the Middle LB Perryman.

I understand wanting depth at Middle LB. But if you draft R.Smith from Georgia or ODaniel from Clemson, they should be playing the Weak Side LB. Neither is a fit at MLB or SLB.

Edmunds or Nwosu would be an instant upgrade over Emanuel.

I like the idea of going after LBs in draft. But I wouldn't have ILB as the spot to fix, unless the plan is to move Perryman to weak side LB.
3. T.HANKS-LB, NEW MEXICO ST.
D.TRANQUILL-LB, NOTRE DAME
5. I.MARSHALL-DB, USC
6. K.WILLIS-S, MICHIGAN ST.
7. K.ADAMS-S, KANSAS ST.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniard View Post
What about Dorian O'Daniel from Clemson?

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-risers-day-2

Seems like a good gusD type of LBer.... no?
Yes, please. Ideal WILL/S hybrid. Can Denzel man the MIKE?
3. I.Prince, OT
Old 01-27-2018, 03:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittydog View Post
If your looking to upgrade the LBs.
It starts with upgrading the strong side LB Emanuel.
Then weak side LB Brown.
And finally the Middle LB Perryman.

I understand wanting depth at Middle LB. But if you draft R.Smith from Georgia or ODaniel from Clemson, they should be playing the Weak Side LB. Neither is a fit at MLB or SLB.

Edmunds or Nwosu would be an instant upgrade over Emanuel.

I like the idea of going after LBs in draft. But I wouldn't have ILB as the spot to fix, unless the plan is to move Perryman to weak side LB.
Perryman has been playing there, no?

We debated last off-season where he'd fit in Gus's system. Most of us assumed MIKE, but a remnant of "professional sounding" posters said he didn't have the skills and fit better at WILL Pretty sure they were right as Pullard and Toomer patrolled the middle (or at least that's what it looked like to these amateur eyes).

Clarification/correction appreciated.
3. I.Prince, OT
Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Charger View Post
Perryman has been playing there, no?

We debated last off-season where he'd fit in Gus's system. Most of us assumed MIKE, but a remnant of "professional sounding" posters said he didn't have the skills and fit better at WILL Pretty sure they were right as Pullard and Toomer patrolled the middle (or at least that's what it looked like to these amateur eyes).

Clarification/correction appreciated.
Pullard was injured when Perryman returned.
I think Lynn mentioned playing Perryman at WILL. But he was put back in at MIKE.
They also played a lot with 1 or 2 linebackers and a 3rd Safety with Phillips. But Perryman was still playing MLB in those situations. Then Perryman missed game 15 with injury and Pullard was started at MLB.

I don't recall seeing Pullard start at MLB with Perryman at WILL in any game last year.
3. T.HANKS-LB, NEW MEXICO ST.
D.TRANQUILL-LB, NOTRE DAME
5. I.MARSHALL-DB, USC
6. K.WILLIS-S, MICHIGAN ST.
7. K.ADAMS-S, KANSAS ST.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Perryman's best play was at WILL. His coverage improved.

Phillips, of all people, played MIKE. Intelligence. Diagnosis. Always in the right position. Certainly not size. Protected by Mebane.

Toomer/Jatavis were out of proper position way too often. Failed to wrap up. This is why we got a healthy dose of AP. I look for these two to bounce back. Competition for Pullard is necessary. Also as depth behind Perryman.

We should look at Josey Jewell. As a MIKE.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Josey the outlaw Jewell mmm you may be onto something Woody. Held his own against Saquon Barkley against Penn State earlier in the season. He got juked a couple times but Jewell tackled him in the backfield and covered him about as well as one could in space.

Josey is productive...yet underrated since he isn't the fastest linebacker however, we drafted Jatavis for his athletic prowess yet he's stepped back in Gus defense. I like his smarts and instincts against the run and pass. He's had multiple interceptions, even more passes defensed along with a knack of knocking passes down. Should give Rivers fits during practice I'm sure.

Lastly, he's relentless on every play similar to Bosa. Definitely a keeper on special teams and will eventually start. Good option should he fall to the 2nd/ 3rd round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Phillips, of all people, played MIKE. Intelligence. Diagnosis. Always in the right position. Certainly not size. Protected by Mebane.

Toomer/Jatavis were out of proper position way too often. Failed to wrap up. This is why we got a healthy dose of AP. I look for these two to bounce back. Competition for Pullard is necessary. Also as depth behind Perryman.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:33 PM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post

Wood making funnies.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Cut: WR Benjamin
FA: LB Barr, K Gostkowski/Gould, S Amos