Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2018, 11:57 PM
& ramblin' man

Default in hindsight.... Full (Laid an) Egg Moon Review

another (very) avg draft by team Tommy John, and....

won't lie.... the draft got off on the wrong foot for me, as real eyes in hindsight/after the fact that I woulda, shoulda, coulda traded up for Vita Vea.

the fear was that I had been sippin' on the draftnik koolaid in thinking that Vea was moving up the board into the top ten, and as high as seven to Tampa.... turned out it was close to true, as far as I'm concerned the Buccaneers took the top prize in round one, w/not only snaring VV, but coming away w/two additional second rounders in the process.

know all y'all are in love w/Derwin, and trust he will be a team leader and pick up where EW left off.... personally like him better than about half the guys in front of him, and thought Minkah was the more likely to drop than James.

did suspect that this might be another Melvin Ingram similar draft in that someone would drop, albeit didn't suspect that James would be the one.

personally prolly woulda gone Isaiah Wynn or Billy Price as am wary of the Pouncey signing and don't see him as any sort of panacea.... the other guy that I suspect might turn out to be the better pro than DJ is Courtland Sutton.

again for myself and in hindsight, Vea represents most everything I would want in a Charger.... he was the NT that we have been remiss to draft ever since Jamal went his way, the man in the middle that every offense would have to navigate thru, someone that would command a double team and help stop teams from running amuck on us.... he would help the defense on the whole, and every other player on that D, and almost most important for me, is he would help give an identity to the Carson Chargers as really admire his intangibles, not only as a football player but as a person.

Last edited by chargertom; 04-29-2018 at 08:36 AM..
Old 04-29-2018, 12:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs down

Vea would have been my least favorite choice of the top defensive players. Would have much rather had De'Ron Payne or Taven Bryan. He's a 2 down player who will need his snaps limited to be fresh in the 4th quarter. Gus has never had a NT weigh as much as Vea does & I fear he'll only get bigger. His pass rush ability is vastly blown out of proportion. He's a one trick pony.

One of my favorite moments of the draft was when Tampa took Vea, especially since everyone thought it was a virtual lock that they would select Derwin James. It gave us an outside shot (although I thought it was slim) at still getting James & assured that Vea wouldn't be a Charger. I can't stress how much I DID NOT want him in lightning bolts.

I haven't been this excited about a Bolts first round pick since Shawne Merriman.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:15 AM
& ramblin' man

on the other hand will gladly and gratefully so receive of (my) consolation prize in that we have signed Tony Brown and Brandon Facyson as UDFAs !!

T. Brown is bad ass and a bad ass.

for me and going forward, and not quite sure how long he might take, and.... he's my single high and everything we wanted and hoped for as Tre Boston 2.0

far as Facyson goes.... two words >> he's just "really good." the concern/cautionary tale w/him is his health.

in my world they both make the 53, and Gus has a surprisingly potent secondary.

am guessing that James is penciled in to be our single high this season unless Jaylen Watkins pulls something out of his hat and then some, and then.... sometime down the line, guessin' again that Derwin could spell Jahleel at some point ?? and given that T. Brown rounds into single high form by then.

Addae is being paid starter's money, so am guessing he still does just the such, and was never overly excited 'bout Watkins as def prefer(red) E. Reid (and still do), and.... maybe he surprises, maybe he doesn't ??

SS Addae, Rayshawn, Kyzir
FS Derwin, T. Brown
CB Jayson, Hayward, Desmond, Trevor, Brandon Facyson

again speaking for myself, the cool thing w/the abovementioned depth chart is that recently read that "coverage" is the most important factor in wins and losses, save for quarterback play.... we could be (real) decent in our defensive backfield next year, and.... cue the record >> if and when JV can stay healthy for the entire year (ditto Denzel and KA for another year)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:33 AM
& ramblin' man

and there's always the benefit of the doubt, and.... day two was a disappointment.

personally will give Justin Jones the benefit of the doubt as he had a good SB and seems like he can spell Corey as our undertackle, albeit still wondering if and when we might ever get ourselves a NT.... (do suspect that Steven Richardson has a real chance to do something as an UDFA).

and wasn't a Harrison Phillips nor Josey Jewell guy, so not losing any sleep over them, albeit do suspect that Dorance Armstrong is gonna turn into a player.

Nwosu is another story tho, as really think he was/is a day three talent, and even then woulda passed on him for others, and that's not to mention who we did leave on the board @48 >> Connor Williams, Anthony Miller, Jessie Bates, Isaiah Oliver, Guice, Carlton Davis, Nnadi, Michael Gallup and others I'm sure, and.... one word: ouch !!
Old 04-29-2018, 12:37 AM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Vea would have been my least favorite choice of the top defensive players. Would have much rather had De'Ron Payne or Taven Bryan. He's a 2 down player who will need his snaps limited to be fresh in the 4th quarter. Gus has never had a NT weigh as much as Vea does & I fear he'll only get bigger. His pass rush ability is vastly blown out of proportion. He's a one trick pony.

One of my favorite moments of the draft was when Tampa took Vea, especially since everyone thought it was a virtual lock that they would select Derwin James. It gave us an outside shot (although I thought it was slim) at still getting James & assured that Vea wouldn't be a Charger. I can't stress how much I DID NOT want him in lightning bolts.

I haven't been this excited about a Bolts first round pick since Shawne Merriman.
obviously have heard all the above storylines since day one of draft season, and.... one of my fears w/the drafting of Derwin James is that our team will only get (back to being) Eric Weddle good, and.... personally will be surprised if James becomes the better player than Weddle was for us.

again personally really suspect/believe that we make our next jump in the standings/playoff push if and only when we return to having a (top shelf) run stopping/stuffing NT in our midst, of which in the case of Vea, would have added a lot more than just that, albeit.... excellent post and point (well) taken.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:57 AM
& ramblin' man

far as day three/round four and more (of the same).... holy mole'

was (very) afraid that Kyzir White might prove to be Chargers failbait, as he has Gus B. D written all over him, albeit isn't he just more "junk in the trunk" and which isn't all bad by some takes, albeit again how many junkyard dogs do you need on the field @one time ??

and really.... ?? Armani Watts (playmaker), Mo Hurst (day three ?? !!), Genard Avery (dunno, and.... albeit prototypical Gus B. LB, no ??), Tyrell Crosby (banger/baller !!)

and ditto for the Q.... a!right, he's been a Chargerite since Balboa Stadium (or somewhere thereabouts).... sorry, and bfd.

again.... Obo !! Tim Settle, Jaylen Samuels, (even) Daniel Carlson, (a day three RT) Jamarco Jones, and (even) Deon Cain, and.... not to mention surely what must have been a (major) heartbreak for Spanny.... Troy Fumagali

and sorry/ditto again w/who (Dylan Cantrell) ?? ....WR Cedrick Wilson was my guy and thinkin' he coulda, woulda, shoulda spelled TB, if not this season, pretty darn soon after that.

not to mention we lost Dontrelle for nothin', and costing us a shot at the likes of Bo, or in my case.... Mata'afa already !!

and just like some of the other aforementioned, don't know a whole lotta 'bout them, and this rant is mostly just my first impression of things, and without doin' a whole lotta diggin' into things/these players, and.... will hope that Justin Jackson is somethin' somethin' more than I suspect, as no way do I pass on Hercules for this or any of these (day three) guys, and ditto for T. Brown and Facyson (thank you team Tommy John for getting them in here as LACs).
Old 04-29-2018, 01:44 AM
Blame Butts for me

Derwin shouldn’t be considered our single high
He’s too good at the LOS
With all due respect
I’m thinking you’re not too familiar with his game
Which would also explain your unspectacular reaction to DJ
He is an elite prospect in every sense of the term
And we are a lucky franchise to continue to land
Players of his caliber
Alebit he hasn’t done anything in the NFL thus far
But do you remember that feeling you got as a Chargers fan
When you realized how good Gates was?
Or merriman?
Even cromartie that one breakout night against Peyton Manning?
Well, we’re all going to see the same thing at some point this season with DJ
Believe that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ASAP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:50 AM
Hall of Famer

If we’re picking NT, Vea is my pick, above Hurst and Payne.
But with our scheme, I think LB and Safety are more valuable, especially with Derwin James om board.

As far as Inman, i believe we also didn’t lose a 7 for Cardale Jones, let’s just say those things even out, as if we traded Inman for Jones. I’m totally fine with that... Jones would be better than any QB we can pick on the 7th. Inman would be inactive most games, and we still have Geremy Davis for depth.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:53 AM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21and500 View Post
I’m thinking you’re not too familiar with his game
Which would also explain your unspectacular reaction to DJ
Even cromartie that one breakout night against Peyton Manning?
Well, we’re all going to see the same thing at some point this season with DJ
Believe that
you're right/correct.... am no authority at ascertaining his true/best position other than obviously he is a SS, but the thought is that we are already paying Addae starter's monies, so surmising and given that nfl.com and others have prognosticated/suggested that he can also play single high/FS, that we would put him there for now, and until we were perhaps ready to move on from Jahleel ??
Old 04-29-2018, 04:49 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
you're right/correct.... am no authority at ascertaining his true/best position other than obviously he is a SS, but the thought is that we are already paying Addae starter's monies, so surmising and given that nfl.com and others have prognosticated/suggested that he can also play single high/FS, that we would put him there for now, and until we were perhaps ready to move on from Jahleel ??
You are so freaking good at the draft, where did this come from ????

Derwin James a Top 5 grade falls to 17 is a bad draft pick ????