Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2018, 06:34 AM
Thank you CMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by like54ninjas View Post
Why?
Nwosu will at minimum play significant snaps on passing downs and if he shows he can set the edge KE will be a ST/rotational player, as he should be.
Jones will play significant snaps and help our interior dline & LBs
White is an instinctive, physical, sure tackling, fast, thumper that can cover.
Q and Cantrell hopefully will be a quality depth players.
J. Jacks is a solid RB2 that will produce as a runner, receiver, pass protector, and ST contributor.
Throw in 2 OL upgrades and a healthy 1st round receiver and seems to make for a great 2018 season.
If all of our drafts worked out like this none of them would suck. Lets see how they play in the NFL first... 2018 will be great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemarshalbill View Post
I'm suggesting addae and Watkins are likely to play more snaps at FS than James. I'm even willing to day Watkins will get as many snaps at single high than James contrary to some writters. It is an early prediction but what else to we have to do.

I don't throw my observations around Willy nilly either. I know most NFL players from multiple college evaluation and film. Watkins I read his prospect profile from college and followed his career each year from articles, snap count, pff evaluations, blogs. Film ect.

Watkins was the eagles 3rd safety. He logged 388 snaps and started 4 games in 2016 much more than the 188 last year. He can cover and make reads. His knock has been tackling much like Boston through out his career. I think Watkins would rate nearly as well as Boston did in coverage.

So I'm willing to guess 20 percent of the snaps go between James and Watkins each and the remaining 60 percent to addae.

I'm basing much of the 2016 single high coverage info on addae did for pags. He was ok then and I'm saying he can play FS if he can play at his 2016 film level. He's not perfect and like I said lacks the long speed if he's beat but I speculate he can make do so Derwin can roam.

We will see in camp I guess

Derwin seeing 60 percent of his snaps at single high means little impact on most plays. If he plays FS primarily it is the biggest waste of his talent and has the least impact on help vs the run.

I can be swayed if u have proof of addae not being able to play deep coverage in 2017. He played in the box primarily but I don't think he was that bad in deep coverage from what I remember
Addae very rarely played deep because they had Boston back there doing that. Addae is much like James better closer to the LOS and against the run. Addae does not have the ability to consistently stick with WRs in the slot, I also donít have trust in him playing deep safety or having deep responsibilities too often. Look at what happened be Toomer in the last game last year. That was Addaes fault for not staying deep into his drop as he should have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Here's a little more clarity on how Gus will use James...

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles...e-derwin-james
Old 05-07-2018, 03:47 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
Here's a little more clarity on how Gus will use James...

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles...e-derwin-james
I said the perfect fit/help is for him to play Free Safety, would anyone listen to me ? No. You let Addae keep producing at SS, then let the Wonder Kid play Earl Thomas----who incidentally worked out and taught James, and they share the same agent too............................uh huh..........

James ran a 4.47-second, 40-yard time at the NFL combine.........

AT 6'2 AND 215 POUNDS ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Beast. Benched 450 at Florida St.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I said the perfect fit/help is for him to play Free Safety, would anyone listen to me ? No. You let Addae keep producing at SS, then let the Wonder Kid play Earl Thomas----who incidentally worked out and taught James, and they share the same agent too............................uh huh..........

James ran a 4.47-second, 40-yard time at the NFL combine.........

AT 6'2 AND 215 POUNDS ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Beast. Benched 450 at Florida St.

All this talk about where to play James, and then those stats....liking him way early in the process was 'goalie' smart.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
I don't think Watkins even makes the team.

James
Addae
Phillips
Jenkins

If Verrett is healthy King gets pushed to the 4th CB. I think he'd be your "extra" safety if needed. He might even see time there in certain packages.
Agree with this, Jenkins entering year two so still have high hopes for him as well. To me it is a week by week plan, twice a year Derwin's biggest task might be Travis Kelce or to double Tyreek Hill. Against certain team it will be to stop the run. The defense certainly will be faster and able to tackle better if healthy.
3 Jewell ILB
4 Jones/Okorafor OT
5 Armani Watts S
6 BPA
7 BPA

QB next year predicting Rivers plays 2 more
Old 05-08-2018, 03:30 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
All this talk about where to play James, and then those stats....liking him way early in the process was 'goalie' smart.
Spookiness. I scared.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Rockwell View Post
Agree with this, Jenkins entering year two so still have high hopes for him as well. To me it is a week by week plan, twice a year Derwin's biggest task might be Travis Kelce or to double Tyreek Hill. Against certain team it will be to stop the run. The defense certainly will be faster and able to tackle better if healthy.
After my last antagonistic post I was thinking 60 percent of FS snaps to Derwin and 40 percent to Watkins. TT didn't sign him for nothing.

Derwin can play the other 40 near the line in various roles while he developes. I think we will improve our ability to stop big plays especially big runs. Also later in the year I can see him locking down tight ends and making big plays with his versatility.

Jenkins is a SS not FS. I wouldn't have too high of hope's for Jenkins he's out of luck, Derwin took his role.

Addae actually did play alot of FS in place of slow ass Dwight lowery, it's not that far fetched that he can play FS, I just threw the idea out there as a possibility. I still think it's Derwin Watkins and Addae at FS. Philips is worse than addae at FS(I literally have compared video) and I'd bet Jenkins is too.

Really FS isn't that valuable though. For Dewin to be valuable he needs to play near the line as much as possible. In the future he should be able to settle in at SS in addae's role fulltime and nickel linebacker.

What if Emanuel and Brown can hold the rookies off and Jones is rotational. What if Derwin plays 60 percent of the snaps at nearly the same level as Tre Boston or a second round Justin Reid? Would this be a good draft year one ? What would it take long term?

Or maybe like basketball a big play in a key moment or a championship from Derwin could define success. His big play Could be against the chiefs. Games against them always seem key

Last edited by Firemarshalbill; 05-08-2018 at 05:27 AM..
Old 05-08-2018, 05:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Respectfully everyone, IMV the big misperception in this thread, and the big mistake in CMB thinking, involves not painting with a broad brush.

They are all Combo Safeties! NCB. FS. SS. NLB. The two positions to have a narrow parameters are MIKE and Boundary CB.

Modern offenses constantly try to create mismatches. We will mix up the work of most of our defenders, disguising coverages and blitzes. Isn't this common sense ?

Before the Draft, gusD proclaimed, absent Tre Boston, King and Jenkins are capable of taking snaps at FS. They are both not as fast at processing and range, but much, much better at tackling. This improves our run defense.

Now. Dline. Bosa and Rochell are very similar in size. Strong Side DE. Penetrating 3Tech. Both. Both.

Justin Jones gets snaps at 3Tech until Liuget is back. Then JJ will transition to becoming Mebane's successor. You don't see that ? Talk to your optomitrist. You need new glasses. Say goodbye to old, JWall era labels.

#defensewithoutpositions
Old 05-08-2018, 05:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
.... not to mention surely what must have been a (major) heartbreak for Spanny.... Troy Fumagali

First Dorian O'Daniel was taken by the Chiefs.... and then the Broncos... with the pick right after ours... picks Fumagalli....

:-(

Sucks...

But mainly... this idea that Green can take over as a passing TE if called upon is absurd.... He might have one good game, but that's it. Give me a guy that is decent at two things instead....