Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2018, 05:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Respectfully everyone, IMV the big misperception in this thread, and the big mistake in CMB thinking, involves not painting with a broad brush.

They are all Combo Safeties! NCB. FS. SS. NLB. The two positions to have a narrow parameters are MIKE and Boundary CB.

Modern offenses constantly try to create mismatches. We will mix up the work of most of our defenders, disguising coverages and blitzes. Isn't this common sense ?

Before the Draft, gusD proclaimed, absent Tre Boston, King and Jenkins are capable of taking snaps at FS. They are both not as fast at processing and range, but much, much better at tackling. This improves our run defense.

Now. Dline. Bosa and Rochell are very similar in size. Strong Side DE. Penetrating 3Tech. Both. Both.

Justin Jones gets snaps at 3Tech until Liuget is back. Then JJ will transition to becoming Mebane's successor. You don't see that ? Talk to your optomitrist. You need new glasses. Say goodbye to old, JWall era labels.

#defensewithoutpositions
They are all combo safeties in Gus's D or modern NFL?

The cover 3 has clearly defined roles for safeties. Who cares about a pre Boston interview. Why did Boston deep FS so much last year and Addae didn't. Because the safety roles are clearly defined in Gus's D. They always have kam wasn't a deep safety much and Earl was the deep safety that's the cover 3 and the players strengths.

What improves our run D? Jenkins and kings tackling?Jenkins doesn't play and king was nickel so that has nothing to do with safety. Do u think king or Jenkins will play FS. I can see king as FS 2 or 3 competing with Watkins. I liked king going into last year but I like Watkins as an ideal FS, I've done my research, so we will see how they compete.

To me it's Derwin 60, Watkins 40. King and Addae would split time if Derwin or Watkins were both out. King could beat Watkins , does anybody want to commit or just talk ish. I bet Watkins wins and Jenkins is irrelevant.

I like Jones behind philon for now. I've said he could replace Mebane someday already but that's a big if. I preferred guys that were ready to play NT already, he has a lot of work to do and isn't ready to help at that position right away. He can rotate with philon the first 4 games for luiget but what about after that? 3 Rd string? Sarcasm is so hard to detect in text

Last edited by Firemarshalbill; 05-08-2018 at 06:30 AM..
Old 05-08-2018, 06:04 AM
Hall of Famer

I see no reason to argue about what gusD said, and I take it at face value.

gusD has evolved as NFL offenses have become more prolific and loaded up.

Either become less defined in playing defense in 2018 and beyond, or you will be destroyed.

Addae improved in coverage last year...surely you saw that fmb...and this adds up to lots of snaps at Combo Safety for Killah.

Derwin is not Troy or Sean or Kam or Eric...he is something new and improved.

Chargers 2018 defense...Legion of Boom...with a twist.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I see no reason to argue about what gusD said, and I take it at face value.

gusD has evolved as NFL offenses have become more prolific and loaded up.

Either become less defined in playing defense in 2018 and beyond, or you will be destroyed.

Addae improved in coverage last year...surely you saw that fmb...and this adds up to lots of snaps at Combo Safety for Killah.

Derwin is not Troy or Sean or Kam or Eric...he is something new and improved.

Chargers 2018 defense...Legion of Boom...with a twist.
U tried to support your argument with what a coach said but didn't do in reality. He did end up playing Boston in a defined safety role, which u say doesnt exist.

With 2 safeties deep u don't know who is playing deep. they can both play deep zones or 1 can go underneath. Both have similar skill sets and can do either role.

Our base d has 8 in the box. U know the FS deep is and Gus has a specific skill set for each safety position. It is not a combo or interchangeable

Last edited by Firemarshalbill; 05-08-2018 at 06:26 AM..
Old 05-08-2018, 06:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Yes, I quote what our decision makers say, and offer interpretation about it.

gusD was asked specifically about what will we do at FS, now that Tre is gone.

We drafted Derwin..we did not draft Jesse Bates.

This is kind of a prima facie argument I am making here, about how we will play defense in 2018.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:27 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I quote what our decision makers say, and offer interpretation about it.

gusD was asked specifically about what will we do at FS, now that Tre is gone.

We drafted Derwin..we did not draft Jesse Bates.

This is kind of a prima facie argument I am making here, about how we will play defense in 2018.
Sorry I'm a jerk, I rarely disagree with you. Maybe being up all night has something to do with it.

I've proposed what I think will happen. Derwin60/watkins40 at FS. Addae at nearly the same role as last year but a little less with Derwin experimenting all over the line from nickel linebacker, SS in the box for addae.

When not playing FS Derwin can play in Adrian Phillips role last year. We played with 6 DBs and Derwin is an upgrade from the not bad Adrian Phillips

Adrian Phillips was the 6th DB in what is really a dime coverage. King was the nickel and Phillips was the DB playing "nickel linebacker".

This is a small lineup that we used to compensate for lack of quality LB play. Yes Derwin can upgrade Phillips in this type of defense but do we really want to play Dime against runs. We will stop teams that run out of passing formations better I guess but that won't help base D. Base D he will be FS again not much help against the run. I'm just trying to figure it out instead of thinking of life

Last edited by Firemarshalbill; 05-08-2018 at 07:09 AM..
Old 05-08-2018, 06:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemarshalbill View Post
Sorry I'm a jerk, I rarely disagree with you. Maybe being up all night has something to do with it.

I've proposed what I think will happen. Derwin60/watkins40 at FS. Addae at nearly the same role as last year but a little less with Derwin experimenting all over the line from nickel linebacker, SS in the box for addae.

When not playing FS Derwin can play in Adrian Phillips role last year. We played with 6 DBs and Derwin is an upgrade from the not bad Adrian Phillips
No prob.
We are getting close.
A final 53.
At this early date.
With reasonable cap health.
Always a good sign.

I greatly appreciate a chance
to have a real football discussion
with you Fmb.

I really think our only area of disagreement is in projecting
how soon the rookies get in the mix.
Who knows ?
Old 05-08-2018, 07:22 AM
Veteran

I'm ready to proclaim Derwin the baseD free safety year 1

He can be the 6 th DB/nickel linebacker/dimeback (its all the same thing)against passing formations when not playing FS - with my man Watkins taking his place at FS. This would be a great way to learn for a rookie

Eventually he could be the in the box SS in the baseD.

Or he could be the Will in the baseD if white or brown don't hack it or do hack it..

Last edited by Firemarshalbill; 05-08-2018 at 07:30 AM..
Old 05-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Hall of Famer

It's a deal Fmb.

Camp competition.

Coming up next.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemarshalbill View Post
After my last antagonistic post I was thinking 60 percent of FS snaps to Derwin and 40 percent to Watkins. TT didn't sign him for nothing.

Derwin can play the other 40 near the line in various roles while he developes. I think we will improve our ability to stop big plays especially big runs. Also later in the year I can see him locking down tight ends and making big plays with his versatility.

Jenkins is a SS not FS. I wouldn't have too high of hope's for Jenkins he's out of luck, Derwin took his role.

Addae actually did play alot of FS in place of slow ass Dwight lowery, it's not that far fetched that he can play FS, I just threw the idea out there as a possibility. I still think it's Derwin Watkins and Addae at FS. Philips is worse than addae at FS(I literally have compared video) and I'd bet Jenkins is too.

Really FS isn't that valuable though. For Dewin to be valuable he needs to play near the line as much as possible. In the future he should be able to settle in at SS in addae's role fulltime and nickel linebacker.

What if Emanuel and Brown can hold the rookies off and Jones is rotational. What if Derwin plays 60 percent of the snaps at nearly the same level as Tre Boston or a second round Justin Reid? Would this be a good draft year one ? What would it take long term?

Or maybe like basketball a big play in a key moment or a championship from Derwin could define success. His big play Could be against the chiefs. Games against them always seem key
Do you have proof and snap count numbers of how many times Addae lined up at FS last year?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:05 PM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21and500 View Post
And we are a lucky franchise to continue to land
Players of his caliber
Alebit he hasn’t done anything in the NFL thus far
But do you remember that feeling you got as a Chargers fan
When you realized how good Gates was?
Or merriman?
Even cromartie that one breakout night against Peyton Manning?
Well, we’re all going to see the same thing at some point this season with DJ
Believe that
my suspicion is that he has a trajectory similar to Melvin in that he dropped and that he will flash (@FS) his first season or coupla few before he settles in as our SS.... (just as Melvin got a whole lotta bettah after a position change)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Derwin James a Top 5 grade falls to 17 is a bad draft pick ????
don't know 'bout bad, but yes.... not falling in w/all the bells and whistles by most folks accounts.

Quote:
The pundits are strident and numerous in praising the Chargers draft.
and just as they were after team Tommy John registered day one and day two picks of DJ Fluker and Manti Te'o as well....