Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Default Mahomes Thread

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ont-worry-reid
Quote:

Patrick Mahomes' practice struggles don't worry Reid

The Kansas City Chiefs earned plenty of praise when handing the starting quarterback job to Patrick Mahomes this offseason after just one start.

Despite the universal acclaim, the young Padawan still has several steps to take before becoming a Jedi Knight.

Andy Reid and the Chiefs coaching staff have thrown the kitchen sink at their new starter during offseason practices. During Thursday's OTA session open to the media, Mahomes struggled, completing just 4 of 15 passes with an interception in a full-squad session. He went 7 for 12 with an INT in 7-on-7 drills, per ESPN's Adam Teicher.

Normally we'd scoff at tracking completion percentage and interceptions during OTAs. In the Chiefs' case, however, it's instructive in how much the coaching staff is putting on Mahomes' plate, knowing he must run the offense at full capacity come September if K.C. is to return to the playoffs.

"[Coaches] have really tried to throw a lot at the whole offense," Mahomes said Thursday, brushing off his struggles, via the team's official website. "If you want to make mistakes you make them now. You don't want to make those mistakes in the game so we throw a lot now so when we get to the game it's a lot easier."

Reid likewise dismissed Mahomes' practice struggles as part of the process of getting the new quarterback up to speed.

"No, and I've mentioned this to you guys before when Alex [Smith] was here and so on, these are camps where you want to test," Reid said when asked if the interceptions were worrisome. "We throw in a lot of new stuff so you want to test what you can get away with in these camps, so you're going to have interceptions. That doesn't bother me. If you repeat it, now that's a problem but you want to test it and see what you can get away with. That's all a part of the way this thing works."
He probably will be better in reg season games BUT...the Chargers pass rush & secondary are the best defense he will face. Looking forward to introducing him to the 2018 Chargers.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Much respect to Reid and his ability to match QB's strengths within the offense. Mahomes has an arm so look for him to take advantage of long plays to Tyreek Hill mixed in with what they do best running the ball. There's a learning curve for Pat will see if he is a bonafide starter or an eventual back up.

The Chiefs are ahead of us in that they are rolling with a new quarterback as we still have Rivers an aging one on the latter part of his career. They are either going to strike gold or like Cleveland go back to the drawing board.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Mahome's will eventually turn into a fine qb.

1. I'm glad the Chargers get him week 1.
2. I'm glad KC started him week 17: gives the division tape to prepare
3. I'm glad the Chargers worked him out during the draft process
4. I'm glad to hear he's struggling mightily just to learn the KC offense: gives him less time to learn other team's defenses.

When was the last (& only) time Andy Reid prepared a young qb? Donavon McNabb in 1999 - and Philly won 5 games that year.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:21 PM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderblueboy View Post
Mahome's will eventually turn into a fine qb.

1. I'm glad the Chargers get him week 1.
2. I'm glad KC started him week 17: gives the division tape to prepare
3. I'm glad the Chargers worked him out during the draft process
4. I'm glad to hear he's struggling mightily just to learn the KC offense: gives him less time to learn other team's defenses.

When was the last (& only) time Andy Reid prepared a young qb? Donavon McNabb in 1999 - and Philly won 5 games that year.
great points.
PM may turn out to be a stud, but hopefully not on our watch.
one of the biggest reasons i say we have a great shot at the division imo is because they made the switch at QB
(never thought in a million years id be saying that about Alex Smith)

brace yourselves charger peeps
this could very well be THE season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ASAP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21and500 View Post
great points.
PM may turn out to be a stud, but hopefully not on our watch.

one of the biggest reasons i say we have a great shot at the division imo is because they made the switch at QB
(never thought in a million years id be saying that about Alex Smith)

brace yourselves charger peeps
this could very well be THE season
PM vs LAC will be a tough match for KC. We're a VERY good secondary & pass rush under a top DC. Rookie QBs take some time.
KC's best shot is to pound the rock on the ground, be patient and hope to break some big gainers as last year. If we actually have improved team speed & tackling at LB & S, we should be the favorite in game one.
Who is favored Thursday night, Dec 13 in KC would be KC today. The week before that game it may look different.
The LAC-KC games are significant to both teams hopes for a post season berth. Hopefully we sweep them. We appear to have the edge in talent.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:36 AM
Hall of Famer

It remains to be seen with James being a rookie. Acquiring his talent and them losing Peters is big turnaround. How much of a loss/ gain this will be among the teams, I look forward to seeing next season.

I just know it's going to be of impact. Rookie quarterback against a strong Charger defense with another top 5 pick as a defender in James spells growing pains for Mahomes.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:44 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
It remains to be seen with James being a rookie. Acquiring his talent and them losing Peters is big turnaround. How much of a loss/ gain this will be among the teams, I look forward to seeing next season.

I just know it's going to be of impact. Rookie quarterback against a strong Charger defense with another top 5 pick as a defender in James spells growing pains for Mahomes.
Don't underestimate Mahomes' talent, rookie or not. Reid will have him ready fpr G1.

Adding a talent such as James, to an already really talented defence, will allow Gus to be creative in his disguising of the defence.....and that should cause some problems for Mahomes.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Contrary to perception, the Charger D had success against the KC offense last year.

In the first game, Rivers threw a ton of interceptions the first half - the D kept them in the game. The Chiefs were shut out for most of the 2nd half (until the final long td run at the 2:00 minute mark - when a first down would have sealed the game).

In the 2nd game, the Charger O turned the ball over repeatedly in the 2nd half. The D was stout until the Perryman (& Liuget) injury.

The Oline didn't distinguish itself in either game.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderblueboy View Post
Contrary to perception, the Charger D had success against the KC offense last year.

In the first game, Rivers threw a ton of interceptions the first half - the D kept them in the game. The Chiefs were shut out for most of the 2nd half (until the final long td run at the 2:00 minute mark - when a first down would have sealed the game).

In the 2nd game, the Charger O turned the ball over repeatedly in the 2nd half. The D was stout until the Perryman (& Liuget) injury.

The Oline didn't distinguish itself in either game.
Peters had 3 of the 6 picks PR threw in the 2 KC games.
We are in better shape at WR, should be better at rushing.
I'm sure that PR, Lynn & Whis are aware that ints killed any chance of winning. I strongly doubt we avg 3 per game v KC this year.
The D leaked deep to Hill last year.
Both need to be corrected.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 PM
Hall of Famer

This only proves that the Chiefs defensive backfield is way better than the Chargers.
Waaay better.
Eric Berry is back.
We are the greatest in all of football.
It's not even close.

Chiefs Fan