Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt4Life View Post
Yep. Good summary. Although I believe they will stash Jones because he hasn't started enough games, right? I'm not 100% sure on the rules. Shimmy deserves some #3 time this pre-season but probably won't get it.
From an article from last year:
Quote:
How is a player eligible for the practice squad?
In order to be eligible for the practice squad, players must meet one of the following requirements:
  • Have no prior Accrued Seasons in the NFL (An accrued season is six or more games on the active roster);
  • Have one prior Accrued Season in which the player was on the 46-man active roster for no more than 8 games;
  • Each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of 4 Practice Squad players who have earned no more than 2 accrued seasons of free agency credit;
  • If served two seasons on a practice squad, are eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment.
  • A player has served one season on the practice squad if he is on the practice squad for at least 6 games. The rule previously required 3 games on the practice squad roster.
I believe Cardale is at 2 accrued seasons, so he falls into the third bucket. The NFL has been relaxing the PS rules eligibility the last few years and increasing the number of players that can be on it.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Yep. Good summary. Although I believe they will stash Jones because he hasn't started enough games, right? I'm not 100% sure on the rules. Shimmy deserves some #3 time this pre-season but probably won't get it.
Wow, you could be right...maybe Lynn thinks he can still coach Cardale up...my fear is they cut Shimmy or try to stash him on the PS, and he gets picked up or poached and turns into a solid starter for someone...like remember how the Bolts tried to hide Wes Welker on the PS, and look what happened...
3. Darnell Savage, S, Maryland
4. Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama St.
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old 08-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Blame Butts for me

Cardale is less talented than Geno but he’s younger and hasn’t had nearly as much experience
People point to Cardale and his whole year with us,
Geno has had many years to improve his game and finds himself fighting for a backup spot
Additionally, Geno isn’t a natural leader
Not saying Cardale is, but he has a much better chance to become one than Geno
Cardale has this preseason to demonstrate improving accuracy
If he does that, his value as a potential future starter outweighs any potential upside from Geno.
Cardale will likely never be a starting qb
But geno almost certainly will never again be.

And Shimonek has too many tats.
Jk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ASAP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Twitter: @Vrabel56

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
Wow, you could be right...maybe Lynn thinks he can still coach Cardale up...my fear is they cut Shimmy or try to stash him on the PS, and he gets picked up or poached and turns into a solid starter for someone...like remember how the Bolts tried to hide Wes Welker on the PS, and look what happened...
True, but I doubt the Chargers let him showcase himself much at all in the pre-season. So we may not have to worry about it unless other team's scouts are at our practices.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:05 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
Welker was an anomole in that he cleared waivers and was free to sign up with the Chargers practice squad.

Welker was on the active roster Week 1 of the 2004 season and got pissed when they explained to him that they wanted to temporarily move him to practice squad due to the need to sign a safety (Clinton Hart) and the fact that they already had Tim Dwight on the roster returning kicks

They couldn't afford to cut Dwight and his salary because the Chargers were in cap hell due to nearly 1/4 of the team's cap being burned on the likes of the dearly departed David Boston, Marcellus Wiley, Stephen Alexander, Cory Raymer, etc. When they attempted to explain this to Welker, he went ballistic and chose to sign with the Dolphins practice squad instead. After a week on the practice squad in Miami, they moved him to the active roster just as the Chargers had planned.

Welker admitted a few years later that he was pissed and didn't know the process, so he angrily signed with the Dolphins instead. Here is an excerpt from an article back when the Chargers faced the Dolphins in 2005:

Quote:

"I have great regard for him," said Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer. "I frankly was very disappointed when he ended up leaving, I assure you. He was a terrific player. Everybody knows about his return ability, but if you get out there and watch him practice, he's going full speed all the time. I don't know that I saw him drop a ball -- maybe one the whole time he was here. And I'm not talking about catching punts, but as a receiver. But we had a situation where we had to make a move."

After his release, Welker remained confident he would play in the NFL.

"I was just kind of wondering," said the undrafted receiver from Texas Tech. "I didn't know what was going to happen. I felt like I deserved to make the team in San Diego. That's kind of how it goes sometimes."

Soon after, Welker had received several practice-squad offers, including one from the Chargers.

"It was time to move on," he said. "Miami wanted me to be on their practice squad and it seemed like the best situation. A few days after I got here, they activated me."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21and500 View Post
Cardale is less talented than Geno but heís younger and hasnít had nearly as much experience
People point to Cardale and his whole year with us,
Geno has had many years to improve his game and finds himself fighting for a backup spot
Additionally, Geno isnít a natural leader
Not saying Cardale is, but he has a much better chance to become one than Geno
Cardale has this preseason to demonstrate improving accuracy
If he does that, his value as a potential future starter outweighs any potential upside from Geno.
Cardale will likely never be a starting qb
But geno almost certainly will never again be.

And Shimonek has too many tats.
Jk
Quote:
I've been to two training camp practices so far.

Geno Smith is the clear #2 QB imo.

I would love to see more Shimonek. In practice he appears to have great touch and reads on his throws. Shimonek has been far better than Jones. Jones is wildly inconsistent with his throws, which I don't know if that can be coached out of him. I feel Shimonek won't get a fair shot at being the #3 because our coaching staff is set on Jones for whatever reason. Multiple times in each practice I saw Jones rocket easy throws over receivers heads, then on the next throw make an amazing deep pass. Each practice I also saw Shimonek hit his receivers perfectly on most throws but he suffers from dealing with 4th string WRs dropping balls.

#GiveShimonekAShot!
Hmmm...so between 21 and Bolt's analysis, we seem to have the following:

1. Smith is ahead of Jones at this point, based on talent, but Smith isn't a natural leader.

2. Jones is still inconsistent with his throws, even after a year on the Bolts, but has slightly better leadership potential than Smith.

3. Shimmy has talent, but doesn't get considered because he's a raw rook, I guess. Even though he appears to have leadership skills (he led the West to a win in the Shrine game in the last two minutes), he gets pushed below two mediocre career backups in Smith & Jones.

The preseason should be interesting. Let's see if all three get a fair amount of reps.
3. Darnell Savage, S, Maryland
4. Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama St.
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old 08-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Twitter: @Vrabel56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Welker was an anomole in that he cleared waivers and was free to sign up with the Chargers practice squad.

Welker was on the active roster Week 1 of the 2004 season and got pissed when they explained to him that they wanted to temporarily move him to practice squad due to the need to sign a safety (Clinton Hart) and the fact that they already had Tim Dwight on the roster returning kicks

They couldn't afford to cut Dwight and his salary because the Chargers were in cap hell due to nearly 1/4 of the team's cap being burned on the likes of the dearly departed David Boston, Marcellus Wiley, Stephen Alexander, Cory Raymer, etc. When they attempted to explain this to Welker, he went ballistic and chose to sign with the Dolphins practice squad instead. After a week on the practice squad in Miami, they moved him to the active roster just as the Chargers had planned.

Welker admitted a few years later that he was pissed and didn't know the process, so he angrily signed with the Dolphins instead. Here is an excerpt from an article back when the Chargers faced the Dolphins in 2005:
I thought they were moving him to the practice squad because they finally got Ball, the center who was holding out, to come back to the team?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
I've been to two training camp practices so far.

Geno Smith is the clear #2 QB imo.

I would love to see more Shimonek. In practice he appears to have great touch and reads on his throws. Shimonek has been far better than Jones. Jones is wildly inconsistent with his throws, which I don't know if that can be coached out of him. I feel Shimonek won't get a fair shot at being the #3 because our coaching staff is set on Jones for whatever reason. Multiple times in each practice I saw Jones rocket easy throws over receivers heads, then on the next throw make an amazing deep pass. Each practice I also saw Shimonek hit his receivers perfectly on most throws but he suffers from dealing with 4th string WRs dropping balls.

#GiveShimonekAShot!
Awesome (bolded) .... I hope you've had a great time!

Thanks for posting your camp observations @ QB.

I agree with your hash tag ..... #GiveShimonekAShot!

From a practice report by R. Henne about a week ago on Mon Jul 30:
"Nic Shimonek showed tremendous accuracy on his deep balls during QB drills".

I ran across this short 49sec video of Nic from Sept '16 when he came in to replace an injured Patrick Mahomes in the 3rd Q of a game and finished 15 of 21 for 271 yrds 4TD's/0 INT's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Zzsk8dkr8

All he/we can ask for is to get a fair shot, I'm thinking they may carry 3 QB's again like last yr, if he makes it great, if not, maybe he goes to the PS which would make me a bit nervous, but Ty Williams didn't get snatched, so hard to know whether it's a legit concern or not, any of the 10 are obviously poachable if there's a need and interest from another team.

Go Chargers!
Old 08-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I would prefer Shimonek on the practice squad. At some point, you can't teach touch on a pass anymore imo.

Watching Geno, I would trust him for a game or two if Rivers pulled a hammy to at least keep us in the game with our defense. I feel we would stand no chance to win with Jones at all.
I share your belief, Smith as Rivers' BU, Shimonek to PS, and Jones gets released.

After a year of tutelage from Rivers, they can promote Shimonek and say good bye to Smith.

Probably not happening, but it sounds good to Shimonek.....

Old 08-08-2018, 06:58 PM
Hall of Famer

I have been vocal about not wanting Geno,
from documented past incidents.

At this point,
he has done what he needs to do in LA,
and is my favorite
to win the back up job.

We will keep 2 QBS.