Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBoltFan View Post
Not sure about HC, but OC for sure. Look at Norv he continually gets jobs and his teams go nowhere, its insane.
It's rare for coordinators to move laterally onto another team. Usually it's for a promotion (ie., OC or DC to HC)

But we did hire Ron Rivera when he was canned by Love Smith to be our inside linebackers coach. So stranger things have happened.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:08 PM
Rookie

The one thing I would question was the decision to run the ball primarily between the tackles yesterday. We've basically lived on the edges the entire season, and have done so successfully. Yet we repeatedly tried to stuff the ball between the tackles yesterday, and were basically inefficient in doing so. I guess they were really respecting the presence of VM on the edge, but the few times we did run there, we had success.

Not sure I would have deviated from doing what has worked all season, no matter the situation. But I'm not getting paid to call plays in the NFL, either.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Mark View Post
The one thing I would question was the decision to run the ball primarily between the tackles yesterday. We've basically lived on the edges the entire season, and have done so successfully. Yet we repeatedly tried to stuff the ball between the tackles yesterday, and were basically inefficient in doing so. I guess they were really respecting the presence of VM on the edge, but the few times we did run there, we had success.

Not sure I would have deviated from doing what has worked all season, no matter the situation. But I'm not getting paid to call plays in the NFL, either.
Opponents know that Gordon likes to run on the outside. They prepare for it. If there's a weakness on offense, it would be running between the tackles. Gordon and Ekeler aren't great at it.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Experienced

Quote:
479 yards and 22 points...

Get another OC and see this offense challenge the Saints.

479 yards!

only

22 points...

Let that sink in.
Of those 479 yards we probably had to earn 100 of them twice because of penalties in Bronco territory.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:33 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Time for him to go, it should be now and promote Pat Meyer to interim. Ken Whisenhunt has not proven he can lead this offense when it matters most, Chargers need to get serious about winning and make a statement. Meyer has experience and I trust he can do a good job in the meantime.

The season is not lost so I doubt anything will happen, but regardless Whis is not the guy to take us all the way.
You never want to replace a coach midseason especially when you have a winning record so far. It just puts too much pressure on the rest of the staff. Obviously there are exceptions like Caldwell replacing Cameron for the Ravens in 2012. But it's a risky move unless that positional group is completely floundering. The best time to do it is the offseason. If you had to do it midseason, then the bye would have been the best time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Boltgang74

The way our ST is playing I say screw it man up Lynn and make an example of Stewart's incompetent butt.Peace!
4 Bryce Love RB/Andy Isabella WR
5 Bobby Okereke Lb'er/Terril Hanks Lb'er/Clay Johnston Lb'er
6 Garret Brumfield O line/Damien Prince G
7 Hunter Renfrow WR/Porter Gustin Edge
Old 11-19-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltgang74 View Post
The way our ST is playing I say screw it man up Lynn and make an example of Stewart's incompetent butt.Peace!
Yeah I want the same thing too. There's got to be someone on the street who can coach ST better than Stewart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:44 PM

I posted this in another thread, but I would like our coaching staff to not only be more analytically aggressive, but also be open to pulling from different sources to improve both offensively and defensively. It's interesting to read about how Reid pulls from so many sources for his offense, especially college.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/12/fu...as-city-chiefs
Quote:
Reid’s vision, though, didn’t really blossom until he came to Kansas City in 2013. Back in Philly he had control of the Eagles’ personnel, but he didn’t want that burden with the Chiefs; he preferred to spend his time ironing out every nuance of the offense rather than searching for a player to replace someone who’d gotten injured on Sunday. And so down the hill from Arrowhead Stadium he set up an R&D unit for offensive football, scouring film and tinkering with new play designs. He hired Childress as a spread-game analyst (Childress would sort the Pro Football Focus database for every NFL play run out of an empty formation, looking for anything worth pilfering) and Chris Ault, the former Nevada coach, to coach K.C. in the pistol offense he popularized with Colin Kaepernick, replete with options and misdirections.

Reid would later tell his successor in Philadelphia, Chip Kelly (now at UCLA), that Kelly was the one who opened up the NFL’s offensive imagination—but, concurrently, that’s exactly what Reid and his staff were doing in Kansas City. A month after Reid joined the Chiefs, he traded for 49ers quarterback Alex Smith; then he dug back into Smith’s college tape from Utah, where Smith ran Urban Meyer’s spread-option offense before Tim Tebow ever did, including the zone-read plays that would be the precursor to run-pass options (or RPOs). Nagy remembers walking into Reid’s office on Monday mornings and watching the whiteboard fill up with ideas, inspiring the nickname “A Beautiful Mind.”

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 11-20-2018, 03:20 AM
Rookie

I would absolutely try and pilfer Eric Bienemy away as OC. Not sure how much play calling he does with Reid. But we know he is learning a tone. Or maybe go after the Bears OC Mark Helfrich. I bet neither one of those guys have much play calling duty, but they are there learning from these offensive geniuses. I thought Matt LaFleur would have more success in Tennessee learning from Shanahan and then McVay.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Thank you CMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
You never want to replace a coach midseason especially when you have a winning record so far. It just puts too much pressure on the rest of the staff. Obviously there are exceptions like Caldwell replacing Cameron for the Ravens in 2012. But it's a risky move unless that positional group is completely floundering. The best time to do it is the offseason. If you had to do it midseason, then the bye would have been the best time.
Harbaugh replaced Cameron week 14 and they won the Superbowl that year.