Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2019, 08:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Nothing happened yesterday that hasn't happened in every other game against decent offenses this year:

Week 1: KC Defense quickly got behind 14
Week 3: LA Rams: Defense quickly got behind 14
Week 13: Pitt Defense quickly got behind 20
Week 15 KC Defense quickly got behind 14

It's the defensive scheme. It's too easy for teams that have any semblance of offense.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:12 AM
Is it time to panic yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
Nothing happened yesterday that hasn't happened in every other game against decent offenses this year:

Week 1: KC Defense quickly got behind 14
Week 3: LA Rams: Defense quickly got behind 14
Week 13: Pitt Defense quickly got behind 20
Week 15 KC Defense quickly got behind 14

It's the defensive scheme. It's too easy for teams that have any semblance of offense.
That's a fallacy. How were the Bolts able to come back and win some of those games?

The scheme/philosophy Gus favors, requires certain types of players. As injuries piled up to key starters over the season, it opened up weak spots that good teams could take advantage of. That is all.

― Thomas Paine

"We some dogs....we take what we want.."

- Keenan Allen

Last edited by MidwestBolt; 01-15-2019 at 10:52 AM..
Old 01-15-2019, 08:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBolt View Post
That's a fallacy. How where the Bolts able to come back and win some of those games?

The scheme/philosophy Gus favors, requires certain types of players. As injuries piled up to key starters over the season, it opened up weak spots that good teams could take advantage of. That is all.
Yeah they were able to come back in those games but the point is they got behind 14-20 points in EVERY single game against top 10 offenses, which shouldn't happen if you're a good defense. Coming back against that type of deficit is low probability with a large enough sample size. And it happened early in the season too so you can't blame it solely on injuries. I believe the scheme needs retooling and believe they will retool to include more zone blitzes.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBolt View Post
That's a fallacy. How where the Bolts able to come back and win some of those games?

how can it be fallacy when it did happen?
the games against Rams and KC were game 1 and game 3, no key players injuries 'piling up' as stated. stop making mindless excuses.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Chargers. Colts.
Hot. Wild Cards.
Road. Cold.

Exact same results.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:49 AM
Hall of Famer

The biggest problem on this team this season wasn't a talent issue, it was a coaching problem. The coaches did not use personnel appropriately.
Addae at FS is one example.

Ekler is another example. When Gordon went down during the season, they tried to use ekler as a power back. He got dinged up too for a reason. Newsome is the closest guy we have to a power back and he wasn't used that way until we were forced to, with both Gordon and ekler out.

One of Belli's greatest strengths is getting the most out of his players abilities. Our current coaches don't have that vision IMO.

It's another reason I want to see Whiz gone. We need some fresh blood at OC. He let's Rivers get away with over audibling all the time to the last seconds of the playclock. I'm sure that has an effect on the oline communicating too.

In this offensive minded league, where all the rules favor scoring, you have to take advantage of those oppurtunities. We need an OC that will reign in Rivers and adjust when necessary with better play calls/design. I just don't think Whiz has it. This is not even considering the silly playcall that got Gordon hurt (the double reverse I think it was?)

Last edited by SD SneakKing; 01-15-2019 at 09:00 AM..
Old 01-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthommes View Post
Maybe I'm not following what you're saying here. But you do know that sacks happen nearly every game, right?
17 out of 18 games? That's way too damn much. Rivers is getting older and the more hits he takes the more it takes its toll.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirdsd View Post
The complete inability to adjust... Defensive scheme proved after two TD scoring drives that it wasn't going to work. I looked like the players were performing their jobs, but the scheme of getting to Brady doesn't work when he has the ball out of his hands in 2 seconds.
On offense it seemed they got pressure on Rivers with only 4-5 rushers and every time a pass was caught their were 3 Patriots preventing the YAC.
The nail in the coffin in my opinion was the fumbled punt after the defense had FINALLY stopped a Patriots drive. That was a 14 point swing. We would have had time to score (if they called the right plays) and the Patriots did score.
I whole heartedly place the blame on the coaches for this loss. That and I thought they should have stayed on the east coast after the Ravens game.
One thing on defense is they just did not have the players to adjust. We had no LB's only ST guys, that is why we could not change up and we had to go with the 6-7 DB's.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post
The biggest problem on this team this season wasn't a talent issue, it was a coaching problem. The coaches did not use personnel appropriately.
Addae at FS is one example.

Ekler is another example. When Gordon went down during the season, they tried to use ekler as a power back. He got dinged up too for a reason. Newsome is the closest guy we have to a power back and he wasn't used that way until we were forced to, with both Gordon and ekler out.

One of Belli's greatest strengths is getting the most out of his players abilities. Our current coaches don't have that vision IMO.

It's another reason I want to see Whiz gone. We need some fresh blood at OC. He let's Rivers get away with over audibling all the time to the last seconds of the playclock. I'm sure that has an effect on the oline communicating too.

In this offensive minded league, where all the rules favor scoring, you have to take advantage of those oppurtunities. We need an OC that will reign in Rivers and adjust when necessary with better play calls/design. I just don't think Whiz has it. This is not even considering the silly playcall that got Gordon hurt (the double reverse I think it was?)
Actually Ekler got hurt covering an onside kick. But don't let facts get in the way of a cool story.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts-Fan View Post
Actually Ekler got hurt covering an onside kick. But don't let facts get in the way of a cool story.
I think you should check your facts...

Ekler re-aggravated an existing neck injury he was already dealing with during the onside kick.

It was the same stinger that had limited him in practice the previous month.