Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: ARE WE PLAYING FOR NOW ?
Yes. Our time is at hand !! 19 54.29%
No. Boring business as usual. 9 25.71%
Freak is our Emperor Overlord. 2 5.71%
Villagers love Gruel. 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
The bold is quite true.....although I would change out the word 'prepared' with the word 'expecting'.....

I love how the fake queen gets a taste of winning and it is go all in now time......stupid......stick with the build plan, be wary of FA, spend wisely (no big contracts) in FA, get more future stars via draft, and have them on rookie contracts when the Super Bowl wins start......
Expecting is a better word.

Some teams do choose the all in approach. So its a legit question. I'm more with you, better to not bet the farm, and look at long term success, then get a one time splash and have to bail a lot of weight.

I guess when you haven;t won it all in like forever, going all in to get it may look appealing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post

Some teams do choose the all in approach. So its a legit question. I'm more with you, better to not bet the farm, and look at long term success, then get a one time splash and have to bail a lot of weight.

I guess when you haven;t won it all in like forever, going all in to get it may look appealing.

All in is the desperate mans bet......

TT is building this roster to have the opportunity to make the PO's every year.

Having a pretty solid roster, and a great draft, puts you in a position to win a Super Bowl.

Having a pretty solid roster, and a marginal draft, puts you in the PO's again.

Having a pretty solid roster, and completely blowing it in the draft, sets you back.....big time.

Pray for great drafts......

Old 01-18-2019, 03:59 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
The bold is quite true.....although I would change out the word 'prepared' with the word 'expecting'.....

I love how the fake queen gets a taste of winning and it is go all in now time......stupid......stick with the build plan, be wary of FA, spend wisely (no big contracts) in FA, get more future stars via draft, and have them on rookie contracts when the Super Bowl wins start......
That's probably the nicest thing you have ever called me. Thanks. Love, a Freak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:02 AM
Power of 51

Quote:

Having a pretty solid roster, and a great draft, puts you in a position to win a Super Bowl.

Having a pretty solid roster, and completely blowing it in the draft, sets you back.....big time.

But is that enough ? Is that the ultimate goal ? Is that the prize ?

Old 01-18-2019, 04:21 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post

Some teams do choose the all in approach. So its a legit question. I'm more with you, better to not bet the farm, and look at long term success, [B]then get a one time splash and have to bail a lot of weight.[/B]

That day is coming no matter what !!!!

Rivers getting old is the first reason you are playing for now. Now lets look at your "lot of weight".

We are talented in youth. Lots of rookie contracts. Those chickens are going to come home to roost. When the rookie contracts are up, that's when players get their big payday contracts. Because of drafting well, those are coming virtually all at once !!!! The day will come.

Bosa, James, King, Ekeler, Jones, Jackson, Newsome, Tevi, Feeney, Lamp, etc etc etc.

Can you imagine the contract money Bosa, James, and King will get ????? That's just 3. Heck Phillips made ST all-pro, he's gonna want paid. Davis made starting CB this year. He's gonna want paid.

Do you think we can afford them all ?? THAT my friends is why teams get to the "playing for now" zone.

I'm not ignoring frozen calling me stupid, I am merely thinking past him.
What.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:15 AM
Hall of Famer

TT put a shout out to Spanos for giving him the resources to do what he does draft and trade along with rehiring staff. He's really mastered building his board and letting the draft come to him.

Playing for now usually means going all in on a guy who they think can take them over the top. Interesting would TT do what Payton and the Saints did last year in moving up to select Marcus Davenport? Possibly. I'm thinking he stays put but Rivers is as he mentioned year to year on his contract.

If I'm a betting man he waits like he did for James and Lamp. No more trading #4 picks to get they player he wants. He's trusting his board and staff alternatives and doing business as usual.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:13 AM
Power of 51

Go get OT Trent Brown ! Inside Linebacker CJ Moseley !! Safety Earl Thomas !! Honey Badger is out there !!!!

Load up !!! The top FA's this year are defensive players !!! Play for Now !!!

BWAAAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Like your thinking Freak. Normally, I'm not a big fan of trading up. However, when you're at #28, and if you see a player still on the board like, oh #17 or so, who's freakishly (sorry, pun intended) good, and a big PON, I might consider packaging a few picks between this year and next year to move up. And yes, I like the idea of signing a really solid couple of FA's...maybe at OT, FS, ILB...tell Rivers, "if you restructure your deal, we get you a solid OT..."
3. Charles Omenihu, DT, Texas
4. T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old 01-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

You forgot FAs. Solid roster, add a couple of impactful FAs and have a decent draft.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:59 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
You forgot FAs. Solid roster, add a couple of impactful FAs and have a decent draft.