Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Chargeroo's Avatar
Chargeroo Chargeroo is offline
First member of the board
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 30,661
Default Chargers players that are free agents

From Rickey Henne's column -

The Los Angeles Chargers will have to make a decision on 18 players whose contracts will expire. Here is a full list of the team’s pending free agents.

Unrestricted Free Agents (14)
Unrestricted Free Agents have completed four or more accrued seasons. An Unrestricted Free Agent is free to sign with any club with no draft choice compensation owed to his old club.

WR Geremy Davis – The former UConn product known for his strong hands appeared in 14 games, largely contributing on special teams. Davis finished the year ranked third on the team with 13 tackles in the kicking game.

LB Kyle Emanuel – The team’s fifth-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft had another productive year, playing in all 16 games with seven starts. He totaled 27 tackles on the year with three tackles for loss, and notably scored his first career touchdown in Week 17’s win over the Denver Broncos on a fumble recovery.

TE Antonio Gates – A true legend, the greatest tight end in NFL history showed he still had enough left in the tank in 2018. Gates totaled 28 catches on the year for 333 yards and two touchdowns, proving to be a reliable weapon in the red zone and on third down.

P Donnie Jones – The veteran punter joined the Bolts midway through the year, providing stability on field goals after being inserted as the holder. Jones also finished the year with 47 punts, averaging 42.3 yards per attempt while landing 15 inside the 20.

LB Denzel Perryman – Known for his punishing hits, Perryman led the team in tackles before suffering a season-ending knee injury in Week 9’s win over the Seattle Seahawks. The linebacker finished the year with 64 tackles and a pair of passes defensed in only eight games.

S Adrian Phillips – Dubbed the “heart and soul” of the defense by General Manager Tom Telesco, Phillips proved invaluable while lining up as a linebacker. He started seven games, ranking third on the team with 77 tackles while also recording 12 passes defensed, one interception and a forced fumble. In addition, he was a First Team All-Pro pick and Pro Bowl selection for his prowess on special teams as he led the NFL with 19 tackles in the kicking game.

DT Darius Philon – The 2015 sixth-round pick of the Bolts finished the year ranked fourth on the team with 4.0 sacks. He proved to be a force against both the pass and the run, totaling 50 tackles, eight tackles for loss and five passes defensed in 2018.

LB Hayes Pullard – Pullard joined the team midway through the season, appearing in nine games with the Chargers with most of his action coming on special teams. He totaled 17 tackles on defense while adding another four on special teams.

QB Geno Smith – The veteran was a trusted confidant and sounding board for Philip Rivers during his first year with the Bolts.

NT Damion Square – The versatile and productive veteran not only played every position along the defensive line, he led all Chargers’ linemen with a career-high 55 tackles. Square also tied his career high in sacks (3.0). He appeared all 16 games while starting 11 contests.

CB Jason Verrett – It was another heartbreaking year for the former Pro Bowler as he was lost for the season after tearing his Achilles during the team’s conditioning run on the first day of training camp.

S Jaylen Watkins – Watkins also missed the entire season, injuring his knee in the preseason after joining the Bolts in free agency.

WR Tyrell Williams – It was another impressive season for the former undrafted free agent as Williams finished with 41 catches for 653 yards and five touchdowns. He led the team with an impressive 15.9 yards per catch, earning rave reviews from Telesco for taking his game to another level.


Restricted Free Agents (1)

Restricted Free Agents are players with three accrued seasons. A Restricted Free Agent may receive a qualifying offer from their previous team, which is a salary tender predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players. If the Restricted Free Agent signs an offer sheet with a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because the qualifying offer entitles it to a "right of first refusal" on any offer sheet the player signs. If the old club does not match the offer, it may receive draft choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer.

CB Trevor Williams – A steady presence at cornerback his first two years in the league, 2018 was pretty much a lost year for Williams as he was hampered throughout the season with an injury suffered in training camp. He appeared in nine games with seven starts before being placed on IR.


Exclusive Rights Free Agents (3)
Exclusive Rights Free Agents are players with two years of NFL experience. If their team tenders them with a qualifying offer, the Exclusive Rights Free Agent is not eligible to sign with any other team.

DE Isaac Rochell – A key part of the Chargers’ defensive line rotation, the former seventh-round pick ranked third on the team with 5.0 sacks. Rochell appeared in all 16 games while making three starts, finishing with 42 tackles, eight tackles for loss, four QB hits and one interception.

WR Artavis Scott – The explosive wideout missed the entire season after suffering a season-ending knee injury in the final preseason game. Clemson’s all-time receiving leader previously spent all of 2017 on the Bolts’ practice squad.

C Cole Toner – The 6-5, 310-pound interior lineman was active for the team’s first game but was a healthy scratch the rest of the way.
*********************************************

The question is - which players do you hope they can keep?
__________________


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2019, 06:48 PM
ChargingBolts's Avatar
ChargingBolts ChargingBolts is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
From Rickey Henne's column -

The Los Angeles Chargers will have to make a decision on 18 players whose contracts will expire. Here is a full list of the team’s pending free agents.

Unrestricted Free Agents (14)
Unrestricted Free Agents have completed four or more accrued seasons. An Unrestricted Free Agent is free to sign with any club with no draft choice compensation owed to his old club.

WR Geremy Davis – The former UConn product known for his strong hands appeared in 14 games, largely contributing on special teams. Davis finished the year ranked third on the team with 13 tackles in the kicking game.

LB Kyle Emanuel – The team’s fifth-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft had another productive year, playing in all 16 games with seven starts. He totaled 27 tackles on the year with three tackles for loss, and notably scored his first career touchdown in Week 17’s win over the Denver Broncos on a fumble recovery.

TE Antonio Gates – A true legend, the greatest tight end in NFL history showed he still had enough left in the tank in 2018. Gates totaled 28 catches on the year for 333 yards and two touchdowns, proving to be a reliable weapon in the red zone and on third down.

P Donnie Jones – The veteran punter joined the Bolts midway through the year, providing stability on field goals after being inserted as the holder. Jones also finished the year with 47 punts, averaging 42.3 yards per attempt while landing 15 inside the 20.

LB Denzel Perryman – Known for his punishing hits, Perryman led the team in tackles before suffering a season-ending knee injury in Week 9’s win over the Seattle Seahawks. The linebacker finished the year with 64 tackles and a pair of passes defensed in only eight games.

S Adrian Phillips – Dubbed the “heart and soul” of the defense by General Manager Tom Telesco, Phillips proved invaluable while lining up as a linebacker. He started seven games, ranking third on the team with 77 tackles while also recording 12 passes defensed, one interception and a forced fumble. In addition, he was a First Team All-Pro pick and Pro Bowl selection for his prowess on special teams as he led the NFL with 19 tackles in the kicking game.

DT Darius Philon – The 2015 sixth-round pick of the Bolts finished the year ranked fourth on the team with 4.0 sacks. He proved to be a force against both the pass and the run, totaling 50 tackles, eight tackles for loss and five passes defensed in 2018.

LB Hayes Pullard – Pullard joined the team midway through the season, appearing in nine games with the Chargers with most of his action coming on special teams. He totaled 17 tackles on defense while adding another four on special teams.

QB Geno Smith – The veteran was a trusted confidant and sounding board for Philip Rivers during his first year with the Bolts.

NT Damion Square – The versatile and productive veteran not only played every position along the defensive line, he led all Chargers’ linemen with a career-high 55 tackles. Square also tied his career high in sacks (3.0). He appeared all 16 games while starting 11 contests.

CB Jason Verrett – It was another heartbreaking year for the former Pro Bowler as he was lost for the season after tearing his Achilles during the team’s conditioning run on the first day of training camp.

S Jaylen Watkins – Watkins also missed the entire season, injuring his knee in the preseason after joining the Bolts in free agency.

WR Tyrell Williams – It was another impressive season for the former undrafted free agent as Williams finished with 41 catches for 653 yards and five touchdowns. He led the team with an impressive 15.9 yards per catch, earning rave reviews from Telesco for taking his game to another level.


Restricted Free Agents (1)

Restricted Free Agents are players with three accrued seasons. A Restricted Free Agent may receive a qualifying offer from their previous team, which is a salary tender predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players. If the Restricted Free Agent signs an offer sheet with a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because the qualifying offer entitles it to a "right of first refusal" on any offer sheet the player signs. If the old club does not match the offer, it may receive draft choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer.

CB Trevor Williams – A steady presence at cornerback his first two years in the league, 2018 was pretty much a lost year for Williams as he was hampered throughout the season with an injury suffered in training camp. He appeared in nine games with seven starts before being placed on IR.


Exclusive Rights Free Agents (3)
Exclusive Rights Free Agents are players with two years of NFL experience. If their team tenders them with a qualifying offer, the Exclusive Rights Free Agent is not eligible to sign with any other team.

DE Isaac Rochell – A key part of the Chargers’ defensive line rotation, the former seventh-round pick ranked third on the team with 5.0 sacks. Rochell appeared in all 16 games while making three starts, finishing with 42 tackles, eight tackles for loss, four QB hits and one interception.

WR Artavis Scott – The explosive wideout missed the entire season after suffering a season-ending knee injury in the final preseason game. Clemson’s all-time receiving leader previously spent all of 2017 on the Bolts’ practice squad.

C Cole Toner – The 6-5, 310-pound interior lineman was active for the team’s first game but was a healthy scratch the rest of the way.
*********************************************

The question is - which players do you hope they can keep?
Adrian Phillips is a must keep, have to unfortunately pay the man going rate.

Jason Verrett I say resign if the price is right, he'd want to stay I would think.

Denzell Perryman I say resign if the price is right, he should want to stay too.

Would love to resign Gates for a vet min with bonus'.

We found our Punter from the CFL.

I could live if we lost any of the rest.

In Telesco I trust.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2019, 07:11 PM
shruggy's Avatar
shruggy shruggy is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Santa Clarita
Posts: 1,515
Default

Well, i mean, I can tell you who the easiest cut would be.

Donnie Jones

For various reasons, ranging from we could get them back cheap (they know our system) and it would hurt to lose them, I would want to bring back the following:

Must Sign

Adrian Phillips
Isaac Rochell
Trevor Williams
Kyle Emmanuel

On the fence

Denzel Perryman
Darius Philon
Damion Square
Geramy Davis*
Artavis Scott*

*Sort of depends on whether we bring back Tyrell Williams. Travis Benjamin can be un-pursued, and I wouldn't flinch.

The "on the fence" list is determined by how much we can bring some of these players back. We'll obviously need depth along the D-line, so it's important to retain the versatility of Square and the dependability of Philon.

Plus, drafting a DT in the 1st round, along with bringing back Justin Jones, makes Liuget and Mebane expendable; especially if we can allocate the extra funds towards other areas of need.
__________________
Looking through the bent-back tulips.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2019, 07:26 PM
jorgecasasSD's Avatar
jorgecasasSD jorgecasasSD is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: mazatlan
Posts: 315
Default

Keep trevor williams, isaac rochell and artavis scott
Resign gates verrett perryman square philon philips emanuel tyrell
__________________
Trade
CB ramsey for a 2020 1st
Tender
CB Trevor williams, DE isaac rochell, WR artavis scott
Resign
TE Gates, DT philon, DT Square, LB Emanuel, CB Verrett, WR williams, LB perryman, S/LB adrian philips
Sign
OLB Kj wright, FS earl thomas, DT jarret/mccoy, LB kwon alexander, RB cj anderson, OT juwuan james, MLB mosley
Realase
SS Addae DT liuget
Draft
1 DT dexter lawrence
2 FS deonte thompson
3 LB mack brown
4 RB damien harris
5 OT isaiah prince
6 OG alex bars
7 P jack bailey
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2019, 07:38 PM
sonorajim's Avatar
sonorajim sonorajim is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sonora
Posts: 30,331
Default

Priorities: Phillips, Philon, Square, Ty Will.
Like to sign to a team friendly deal: Emanuel, Gates, Perryman.
Tender: Trev Will, Rochell, Scott, Toner
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 PM
spaniard's Avatar
spaniard spaniard is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,352
Default

Unrestricted Free Agents (14)
WR Geremy Davis – Shouldn't be an issue to re-sign him. He can easily be #5 on the depth chart and provide solid Special Teams tackling.

LB Kyle Emanuel – Another player that shouldn't be hard to re-sign and can be used as camp fodder. Either he makes the team because he is better than who-ever we bring in, or he gets cut.

TE Antonio Gates – Would love to see him come back.

P Donnie Jones – We definitely need a new holder.

LB Denzel Perryman – MUST RE-SIGN HIM. Perryman, White and hopefully a stud middle linebacker. But can't see how we become a better defense without re-signing him.

S Adrian Phillips – As much as I think Perryman is a MUST.... Phillips is the number one FA that we must re-sign. Does it all, helps on special teams, helps in the secondary, helps the linebackers.... We would take a huge step back without him.

DT Darius Philon – I think Philon is starting to come on and we should make an effort to re-sign him. However, I feel he will want more than what we will offer.

LB Hayes Pullard – Thank you for your help this year Pullard. Good luck in the future.

QB Geno Smith – Thank you for the memories Geno... especially the fumble against the Broncos... smh

NT Damion Square – I know some people think little of Square, but he is an important piece. He will be back on a fair, team friendly contract. Bank on it.

CB Jason Verrett – I really hope we re-sign JV... he's a stud and the day his injuries are behind him is the day that he will show everyone his worth.

S Jaylen Watkins – I don't even remember signing this guy.

WR Tyrell Williams – I think it's pretty evident that TW will test the waters... I hope they bring him back, but (sorry Midtown) I think TW is just another in a long line of WRs that are made by Rivers and not the other way around.


Restricted Free Agents (1)

CB Trevor Williams – Definitely should be brought back, I think it will be a simple contract since he was getting owned the beginning of the season.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (3)

DE Isaac Rochell – Don't see why they wouldn't bring him back.

WR Artavis Scott – Another guy who I can't see why they wouldn't bring him back. He should be able to compete for a spot, especially if TW leaves and Benjamin is cut.

C Cole Toner – Bring him back to compete.
__________________
Firm believer in the BHC!

The star on my bag signifies a World Championship... it's coming boys! It's coming!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 PM
sonorajim's Avatar
sonorajim sonorajim is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sonora
Posts: 30,331
Default

Perryman would have to sign cheap to get my money. No complete seasons, avg 10 games 50 tackles & a sack. He can't be counted on.
MLB might be my top FA. CJ Mosely or KJ Wright.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 PM
SuperBowlBolts's Avatar
SuperBowlBolts SuperBowlBolts is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniard View Post
Unrestricted Free Agents (14)
WR Geremy Davis – Shouldn't be an issue to re-sign him. He can easily be #5 on the depth chart and provide solid Special Teams tackling.

LB Kyle Emanuel – Another player that shouldn't be hard to re-sign and can be used as camp fodder. Either he makes the team because he is better than who-ever we bring in, or he gets cut.

TE Antonio Gates – Would love to see him come back.

P Donnie Jones – We definitely need a new holder.

LB Denzel Perryman – MUST RE-SIGN HIM. Perryman, White and hopefully a stud middle linebacker. But can't see how we become a better defense without re-signing him.

S Adrian Phillips – As much as I think Perryman is a MUST.... Phillips is the number one FA that we must re-sign. Does it all, helps on special teams, helps in the secondary, helps the linebackers.... We would take a huge step back without him.

DT Darius Philon – I think Philon is starting to come on and we should make an effort to re-sign him. However, I feel he will want more than what we will offer.

LB Hayes Pullard – Thank you for your help this year Pullard. Good luck in the future.

QB Geno Smith – Thank you for the memories Geno... especially the fumble against the Broncos... smh

NT Damion Square – I know some people think little of Square, but he is an important piece. He will be back on a fair, team friendly contract. Bank on it.

CB Jason Verrett – I really hope we re-sign JV... he's a stud and the day his injuries are behind him is the day that he will show everyone his worth.

S Jaylen Watkins – I don't even remember signing this guy.

WR Tyrell Williams – I think it's pretty evident that TW will test the waters... I hope they bring him back, but (sorry Midtown) I think TW is just another in a long line of WRs that are made by Rivers and not the other way around.


Restricted Free Agents (1)

CB Trevor Williams – Definitely should be brought back, I think it will be a simple contract since he was getting owned the beginning of the season.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (3)

DE Isaac Rochell – Don't see why they wouldn't bring him back.

WR Artavis Scott – Another guy who I can't see why they wouldn't bring him back. He should be able to compete for a spot, especially if TW leaves and Benjamin is cut.

C Cole Toner – Bring him back to compete.
Sshhhh Midtown will ignore any kind of facts against Tyrell. Like the fact that more than a third of his production came in basically two games.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2019, 03:11 AM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is offline
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 33,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shruggy View Post
Well, i mean, I can tell you who the easiest cut would be.

Donnie Jones

For various reasons, ranging from we could get them back cheap (they know our system) and it would hurt to lose them, I would want to bring back the following:

Must Sign

Adrian Phillips
Isaac Rochell
Trevor Williams
Kyle Emmanuel

On the fence

Denzel Perryman
Darius Philon
Damion Square
Geramy Davis*
Artavis Scott*

*Sort of depends on whether we bring back Tyrell Williams. Travis Benjamin can be un-pursued, and I wouldn't flinch.

The "on the fence" list is determined by how much we can bring some of these players back. We'll obviously need depth along the D-line, so it's important to retain the versatility of Square and the dependability of Philon.

Plus, drafting a DT in the 1st round, along with bringing back Justin Jones, makes Liuget and Mebane expendable; especially if we can allocate the extra funds towards other areas of need.
You must sign Emanuel, but Perryman is on the fence ?

I bet Telesco could get Perryman for a very reasonable injured contract.
Because I don't trust his injury history, free agent a star MLB to help.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2019, 07:13 AM
spaniard's Avatar
spaniard spaniard is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlBolts View Post
Sshhhh Midtown will ignore any kind of facts against Tyrell. Like the fact that more than a third of his production came in basically two games.
The thing is.... the front office has those stats (and more) which is why I say he's going to test the waters... and some team will throw the kind of money that would make him... and all of us.... say yes and leave the Chargers.

It is what it is... he's an UDFA... get that money kid, it's a violent sport!!!
__________________
Firm believer in the BHC!

The star on my bag signifies a World Championship... it's coming boys! It's coming!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 PM.


© 2018 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.