Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Big-money lineman out by halftime

Gerard Warren injures his big toe on the first defensive play of the game. And Matt Lepsis' knee gives out in the second quarter.
By Mike Klis and Bill Williamson Denver Post 10/23/2006

Cleveland - As a growing group of media circled his locker, Gerard Warren struggled to slip his right shoe around his painful toe.

He tugged futilely, then tugged again. The foot remained shoeless. Frustrated by this development, Warren shooed away the media.

This time it worked. It was the only good play by the Broncos defensive tackle all day. On the first defensive play of the game, Warren wrenched his big toe. This was the right big toe, not the left toe he dislocated early in training camp, an injury that forced him to miss all four preseason games.

He says the injury isn't a dislocation this time, but it was serious enough to sideline him for the remainder of the Broncos' 17-7 win against his former Cleveland Browns and puts his next game - against the Indianapolis Colts - in doubt.

"I ain't no doctor," Warren said. "I don't know yet."

In the next quarter, the Broncos lost another key lineman, this time on the offensive side. Left tackle Matt Lepsis was blocking on a running play when he felt his planted knee give out.

He was diagnosed with a sprained right knee and didn't return. He and Warren will undergo MRI exams today. It appears Lepsis' injury is more severe than Warren's.

So in one half, the Broncos lost their highest-paid offensive lineman in Lepsis ($9 million salary) and highest-paid defensive lineman in Warren ($6 million). That's all.

Lepsis was replaced by Erik Pears, who was a three-year starter at Colorado State. After spending most of his rookie season last year on the Broncos' practice squad, Pears beat out veteran Adam Meadows, who returned from a two-year retirement, as the team's top reserve tackle.

When Pears replaced Lepsis, who played at the University of Colorado, in the second quarter, it marked the first offensive snaps of his NFL career.

Pears politely asked not to be quoted, citing the offensive line's policy of only having right tackle George Foster serve as their spokesman.

"I'm not surprised Erik Pears did a good job because he's a good player," Foster said.

Warren was replaced by veteran Demetrin Veal.

Long live the sack king

After not dressing for the Broncos' first three games, Elvis Dumervil got some action in Game 4 against Baltimore, then got two sacks in Game 5 against Oakland and three more Sunday in Game 6 against Cleveland. That's five sacks in two games.

The Broncos may just have a legitimate sackmaster.

"We were giving him a hard time the first couple weeks, telling him, 'Elvis really is dead,"' safety John Lynch said. "But now I guess it looks like Elvis is still alive."

Dumervil said he was forbidden by the veteran defensive linemen to comment. The Broncos' starting front four, all of whom played for the Browns in 2004, were upset their comments to Denver newspapers last week were lifted by a Cleveland newspaper and reprinted in a story with a decidedly Browns slant.

"One bad apple spoils the whole bunch," said Kenard Lang, the veteran defensive end.

So that means with the exception of Foster, the offensive line and defensive line aren't talking to the media. And, no, the Broncos aren't 1-5, they're 5-1.

Rod passes Floyd

With 69 yards receiving Sunday, Rod Smith passed Floyd Little as the Broncos' all-time leader

in combined yardage. Little, who retired in 1975 with 12,173 career yards in rushing, receiving and returning, is now second to Smith's 12,181 yards.
"My thing is I've been around a long time," Smith said. "I've had an opportunity to be consistent with the people around me. I just love working with the guys I work with and individual things like that are really for them."

Windy kicks

It was a challenging game for Broncos punter Paul Ernster as he encountered what he said was the windiest game of his life. He averaged just 35 yards on six punts, although he got two inside the Browns' 20 and another that went 57 yards after a fortunate roll.

"It's the worst I've dealt with," Ernster said. "When it's 10 to 15 (mph) you can deal with it, but 25 (mph) is tough."

"Paul did a great job," said Mike Leach, Denver's long snapper. "He was basically punting into the lake. He had 25-mph winds. We told him just get it off and we'll go try to make the play. It was brutal and he handled it great."

T. Bell gets 100 ... twice

Running back Tatum Bell ended up with 115 yards on 24 carries. Bell had 100 yards but lost a yard. However, late in the fourth quarter, Bell went over the plateau again.

Bell left the game in the fourth quarter with turf toe, but returned. He said he'll be fine to practice this week.

Williams penalized

Cornerback Darrent Williams was called for taunting Cleveland's sideline after Denver recovered a fumble at the Browns' 28-yard line with 1:02 remaining in the second quarter.

Williams, however, said he wasn't taunting. Williams said all he was doing was pumping his fist. But he said officials told him it appeared he was hitting his chest with his fists.

"I wasn't taunting," Williams said. "I think I got called because I was near the sideline. But I was just doing what I usually do."

Helping hand

When Cleveland cornerback Gary Baxter went down with a serious knee injury, Denver linebacker and captain Al Wilson went over to Baxter as he was being put on a cart. Wilson said he doesn't know Baxter.

"People forget that we're all co-workers," Wilson said. "When a guy gets hurt, you have to care, man. You have to go over there and let him know. I just wanted him to know I was wishing him the best."

Jackson plays often

Backup tight end Nate Jackson played significantly on offense for the first time this season.

"It was fun to get out there," Jackson said. "Hopefully, I did enough to get more opportunities."

Stingy group

The Denver defense wasn't happy that it allowed just its second touchdown of the season. Cleveland scored in the fourth quarter to make it 17-7 after getting the ball on Denver's 18 after a Jake Plummer interception.

"I hated that," Williams said. "We all did. On the sideline, it felt like we lost the game in overtime."

Bad day for Droughns

Last week, former Denver running back Reuben Droughns said he wanted to show the Broncos what they were missing. Droughns was traded to Cleveland from Denver for defensive linemen Ebenezer Ekuban and Michael Myers in March 2005.

Droughns didn't fare well, gaining just 33 yards on 12 carries.

Inactive list

In addition to fullback Kyle Johnson, running back Cedric Cobbs was inactive because of an ankle injury. Other inactive players were receiver Todd Devoe, safety Hamza Abdullah, linebacker Nate Webster, offensive linemen Chris Kuper and Meadows, and defensive lineman Kenny Peterson.

Footnotes

Johnson did not play in order to rest his sprained ankle. His active roster spot was taken by Jackson, activated for the first time since the opener. ...

Johnson's injury may have been one reason the Broncos had tight end Stephen Alexander line up at fullback in their three-receiver formations. Another was that the Broncos saw Carolina and Cincinnati have success with their tight ends lined up at fullback against the Browns. "It felt strange being back there," Alexander said. ...

Browns linebacker Andra Davis: "We lost. No matter how we played, we lost. We gave up 17 points. We lost." And did he mention they lost? ... Droughns was the fourth former 1,000-yard runner in Mike Shanahan's offense to line up against his former team, following Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis and Mike Anderson. The Broncos won all four games. Of the four, only Portis ran for more than 42 yards. ... Talk about consistent. The Broncos have won five straight, the past four by 10 points. ... The wonder of Sunday's game was that the Broncos didn't win by more than 10. They owned time of possession - 37 minutes, 15 seconds to 22:45. ... The Broncos had not been to Cleveland since 1993 and neither had Shanahan. He was there as San Francisco's offensive coordinator the same season.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:44 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos
I thought Foster was your left tackle?

Foster is our right tackle.....

Unfortunately, Foster couldn't handle being on the left side....
Old 10-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Just1SuperBowl

Man, I just hope somehow both the Colts and the Broncs will lose next week. So much for wishful thinking. But I'll take a Bronc loss over an Indy win, cause we showed we are capable of beating Indy, and we have. But the Broncs are the stumbling block right now.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Hansolo

Yep, it could be tough here in the next 2 games...

We seem to have SD's # though!

We'll see...
Old 10-26-2006, 02:07 AM
Norv 2017 : The Resurrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansolo
Yep, it could be tough here in the next 2 games...

We seem to have SD's # though!

We'll see...
Speaking of numbers, how is Jake the flake's TD to Int ratio looking these days???
Old 10-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Hansolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Beastwood
Speaking of numbers, how is Jake the flake's TD to Int ratio looking these days???

Yeah... you can go there... he deserves it.

Our D has definitely been getting us by. We need Jake to do a MUCH better job.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Hansolo

Hey, I know...

Ho about we give you Jake and Tatum for L.T. ?

Fair trade I think...

Old 10-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Currimos

Quote:
Hey, I know...

Fair trade I think...

LOL!!!

but no.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:30 PM
RAYRAY37

The Broncos defense looks great so far, if they hold Indy to 13 points rather they win or lose, you must tip your hat to them.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Hey, I know...

Fair trade I think...

Tatum O'Neill?