Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006, 07:59 PM

There is a new smell in the air at mile-high.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Dave
There is a new smell in the air at mile-high.
<snif> <snif> Smell's like rotten cheese to me !
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Don't mess wid da dawg.

Chargers 2-0
Broncos 1-2
Chiefs 0-2
Raiders 0-2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:20 PM
LT_Raiderkiller

smells like donkey crap
Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Gary Kubiak is gone as their OC. They let Alex Gibbs go to the Falcons. On Sunday they simplified the offense so that Plummer wouldn't lose the game, and their offense was so simplified they couldn't do anything.

I'm not going to predict the demise of the Donks just yet, but when you consider they lost to a team that lost to the Niners the next week, and then barely beat a team missing its starting QB, it doesn't look all that great for the Donks.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:17 AM
jadeyknoxville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Gary Kubiak is gone as their OC. They let Alex Gibbs go to the Falcons. On Sunday they simplified the offense so that Plummer wouldn't lose the game, and their offense was so simplified they couldn't do anything.

I'm not going to predict the demise of the Donks just yet, but when you consider they lost to a team that lost to the Niners the next week, and then barely beat a team missing its starting QB, it doesn't look all that great for the Donks.
plus, in 2 straight games jake plummer has played like the jake plummer from arizona. that 2nd game should have been a wake up call, not to mention drafting jay cutler. i think pressure's getting to him, and now they've relied on defense to keep them in the game. so far so good...for us.

Last edited by jadeyknoxville; 09-19-2006 at 05:24 AM..
Old 09-19-2006, 06:01 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Shanahan says Cutler isn't going to replace Jake. He also claims he "dialed down the offense" after Jake's 4 turnovers the week before.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/wcStory...&storyNumber=4

Kinda screwy that you have to tell your QB to dial it down, because you're afraid he's going to be a turnover machine, but you still won't let your back-up win you some games.

Quote:
Mike Shanahan said Monday there's no way he's turning the offense over to rookie Jay Cutler even though the coach "dialed down" his offense in Denver's 9-6 overtime win against Kansas City on Sunday after Plummer's four-turnover performance the week before.

Plummer was flustered over his handoff-heavy afternoon, but another pedestrian game left him little room to complain about getting reined in. Twice he got the Broncos inside the 5-yard line only to come away empty. He also threw his fourth interception after throwing seven all last season.

Frustrated fans, however, can holler for Cutler, the first-round draft pick from Vanderbilt. Shanahan is sticking by his 10-year veteran who is coming off a career year and is 34-15 as his starter.

Shanahan said he wouldn't even entertain thoughts of giving Cutler a series here and there.

"No. Same thing happened last year and it is going to happen (again)," Shanahan said of the fans' love affair with backup quarterbacks. "It happened when John Elway was here, it happened when I was in San Francisco with Joe Montana and Steve Young. This is football and it is great. It is great for talk radio. It is great for TV.

"But Jake has won a lot of games and just because we start out a little slow, like we did last year, doesn't mean it is the end of the world."

Shanahan said it's always easy to blame the man under center but it's usually misdirected criticism.

"Everyone looks at the quarterback and thinks it is totally his fault and that is never true. You have to put a lot of that responsibility on the coaches and the supporting cast," Shanahan said. "People forget very quickly about the tough games that John Elway had here. It is just the nature of the profession."

Shanahan noted that Plummer started slowly last year, too, and had to rely on the defense to salvage a win in Week 2, just like he did this year. Plummer then went eight games without an interception, igniting the Broncos to a 13-3 record and an appearance in the AFC title game.

"Hopefully he plays like he did last season," Shanahan said.

But Plummer didn't wait until Week 3 this time. After Denver won the coin flip, he moved the Broncos 63 yards to set up Jason Elam's game-winner five minutes into overtime.

Shanahan put Plummer in the shotgun formation twice on the winning drive "just to give him a little more time to see downfield" and it resulted in a 14-yard completion to David Kircus and a 24-yarder to Javon Walker.

Maybe it shouldn't be so surprising the Broncos are sputtering on offense with longtime coordinator Gary Kubiak now coaching in Houston. But Shanahan said he's not so sure there's an adjustment period going on.

"Since I'm involved with that, it's the same thing as before," Shanahan said. "It's always tough to lose coaches, especially great coaches like Gary. But I think Mike (Heimerdinger) has done a great job. I'm still involved. Rick Dennison, our offensive line coach, is here. Bobby Turner is here."

Plummer is as stumped as his coach is over the slow start.

"I don't have any answers yet," he said. "We have too much talent to struggle like that. The way our defense is playing, we are going to be tough to beat if we get it going offensively."

The Broncos have scored just one touchdown, but that's one more than they've allowed, and safety John Lynch said he's certain the offense will return to its high-octane power soon enough.

"Historically, we've been one of the top offenses in the league," Lynch said. "It's going to come together. For whatever reason, they're struggling, but they'll get it going. There's big-time talent. I think we're better talent-wise than we were last year."

Lynch said the defense is prepared to carry the load for however long it takes for Plummer to get the offense going again, "and when we click on all cylinders, we can be an explosive team."

The offense did get some good news Monday when doctors said Rod Smith's concussion, his third head injury in a year, didn't appear serious, meaning he might play Sunday at New England.

Go Shanahan!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!

Last edited by chargertom; 09-19-2006 at 06:05 AM..
Old 09-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Jmasta911

Thumbs down Donkeys

I hate the Donkeys,they cant even score a TD against the chiefs and KC dont even got trent green and willie roaf!!

Last edited by Jmasta911; 09-19-2006 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: I spelled hate wrong lol
Old 09-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Jmasta911

Man i am new here and I want to get 50 posts but I dont wanna keep postin on the same thing for no reason ill get in trouble
Old 09-19-2006, 04:39 PM
iodude122

Default Wow!

W L Points for Points against
Chargers 2 0 67 7 Won 2
Broncos 1 1 19 24 Won 1
Chief 0 2 16 32 Lost 2
Raiders 0 2 6 55 Lost 2