Old 01-28-2018, 02:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Being figurative.
Need working model.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
We lack speed at linebacker to get to the edge. I can recall Cordalle Patterson taking a reverse to the house and LeSean McCoy gashing us with long runs out wide this past season. We're super slow getting to the outside to make plays.

Roquan Smith not only has the instincts like Perryman to diagnose a play he can get there in a hurry and his recovery speed is amazing. Sideline to sideline speed is not a cliche as mentioned in scouting reports with Smith. He will make us better.

Question is do we draft an OT as the first pick or get a defensive player to neutralize an explosive offensive like the Chiefs or Rams? Roquan Smith would be ideal in improving the Chargers last ranking in run defense. In return, as you mentioned he lacks the ideal size at the Pro level and may get eaten up by NFL linemen...it's a trade off.

Edmunds brings great size and quickness. He can explode into the backfield and plays quicker than his best 4.72 in the forty. Micah lacks lateral quickness though he was productive in total tackles in college. We have Perryman as our hammer so I'd pass on Micah.

Rashaan Evans really is the most versatile player of the linebackers. Plays under control but fast and with a nasty attitude which I like. He had 10.5 tackles out of a total 66 for a loss, coupled with 7 QB hurries and 6 sacks. Described as an aggressive, alpha dog defensive player...plays with a nasty attitude which is a quality missing in our defense.

Smith, Edmunds or Evans would be starting linebackers immediately on our defense. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Derwin James was selected if he fell to us given Bradley likes to move the safety forward in run situations and his overall athletic ability can be used to defend the pass against the opponents best receiver slot/TE or WR.
So, let's roll with Rashaan...plug him in just about anywhere at LB...inside, outside and watch him make a difference...he can tackle, he can cover, and he can blitz...this discussion reminds me a bit of the analysis of Bosa...just about everyone said Bosa would not fit edge at 3-4 scheme, that he would only work in 4-3. Well, looks like Bosa proved he can do both.
3. Charles Omenihu, DT, Texas
4. T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old 01-29-2018, 04:27 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Perryman's best play was at WILL. His coverage improved.

Phillips, of all people, played MIKE. Intelligence. Diagnosis. Always in the right position. Certainly not size. Protected by Mebane.

Toomer/Jatavis were out of proper position way too often. Failed to wrap up. This is why we got a healthy dose of AP. I look for these two to bounce back. Competition for Pullard is necessary. Also as depth behind Perryman.

We should look at Josey Jewell. As a MIKE.
and the run game cuts through tiny Phillips like a hot knife through butter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
and the run game cuts through tiny Phillips like a hot knife through butter.
No doubt.
You end up scratching your head.
Is this what gusD is supposed to look like ?

JMO, but front7= PON over DB.
Stock up and overwhelm them.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:44 AM
Hall of Famer

Talent over need in the 1st every time....

Old 01-29-2018, 08:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Talent over need in the 1st every time....
Agreed. Day 1 Starter.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:19 AM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Bolt View Post
One last question...For us specifically...if Edmunds, Evans, and Smith are all there at 17(definitely hypothetical!!) who do you want for the Chargers, specifically?
Edmunds looks like the best all around ILB in this draft. He has

a) the size to shed off blocks
b) speed to get from sideline to sideline
c) wraps up when he tackles
d) height to cover TEs and knock down passes at the LOS
3) played on a D that didn't have a ton of additional talent... I.e. you know opposing O coords were gameplaying for him.

Evans also impressed me and I would have no problem at all if he were the selection at #17. Smith has all the speed you could want from an ILB and I have no doubt that he can go sideline to sideline... Again, my main complaint here is that he does no wrap up when he tackles. Check out his highlight film... it is supposed to be his best plays... and he is just not wrapping up. He is also a bit undersized.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
No doubt.
You end up scratching your head.
Is this what gusD is supposed to look like ?

JMO, but front7= PON over DB.
Stock up and overwhelm them.
Derwin James is a very strong tackler in addition to a great coverage guy. Could play a hybrid LB/S role...

Go Chargers...
Old 01-29-2018, 09:50 AM
Hall of Famer

I agree with the consensus on Edmunds. He's my favorite ILB in the draft and he could play any of the LB positions. The problem is #17 may be too high for him in rd. 1. The weakness for sure on D is the run defense.

I'd like to see DT or ILB addressed early on if they are BPA with our first two picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
Edmunds looks like the best all around ILB in this draft. He has

a) the size to shed off blocks
b) speed to get from sideline to sideline
c) wraps up when he tackles
d) height to cover TEs and knock down passes at the LOS
3) played on a D that didn't have a ton of additional talent... I.e. you know opposing O coords were gameplaying for him.

Evans also impressed me and I would have no problem at all if he were the selection at #17. Smith has all the speed you could want from an ILB and I have no doubt that he can go sideline to sideline... Again, my main complaint here is that he does no wrap up when he tackles. Check out his highlight film... it is supposed to be his best plays... and he is just not wrapping up. He is also a bit undersized.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerTrader View Post
Derwin James is a very strong tackler in addition to a great coverage guy. Could play a hybrid LB/S role...
Someone may offer Boston a ridiculous contract. Derwin IS extraordinary. Combo Safety with Jahleel. NLB.