Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents/Trade Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Moí Hurts

So this is interesting but I just read that the Colts tried to trade him in the weeks leading up to his release, which tells me that teams clearly don’t believe he is worth the contract $9/yr.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Cut: WR Benjamin
FA: LB Barr, K Gostkowski/Gould, S Amos

Old 03-22-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
So this is interesting but I just read that the Colts tried to trade him in the weeks leading up to his release, which tells me that teams clearly donít believe he is worth the contract $9/yr.
I agree with that assessment. Pure NT are not worth big money. If you can't provide some pressure in the passing game you are limited. Still needed but limited muchnlike a full back or blocking TE.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:01 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
So this is interesting but I just read that the Colts tried to trade him in the weeks leading up to his release, which tells me that teams clearly donít believe he is worth the contract $9/yr.
$9 a year would be the steal of the millennium.

PAY THE MAN, TT!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 03-23-2018, 10:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by like54ninjas View Post
I agree with that assessment. Pure NT are not worth big money. If you can't provide some pressure in the passing game you are limited. Still needed but limited muchnlike a full back or blocking TE.
A great NT makes the 3-4 D work. Not worth Pro Bowl OLT or D edge rush money but WAY more important than FB or blocking TE in a 3-4. 4-3 not as much but controlling the middle of the LOS is still a big deal. We didn't have a player who could give us that last year. Hence the lousy run D stat. You shouldn't need a Pro Bowl LB to get avg run D.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:41 PM
Thanks for everything 85!

Quote:
I actually do think Liuget fits this system, I think he had a better year this year then he's had in the past... Up until recently I thought he was overpaid, but seeing some of the contracts this year I'm like wow ok maybe he isnt.

Ultimately I think both need to be upgraded, Mebane is probably facing retirement soon and is a good leader, so I understand keeping him around one more year. I would like to double dip at DT this year but not sure how likely that is.
I know you posted this before his suspension, but what do you think about him now?
Old 03-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I actually agree with likeninjas here, I'm all for stopping the run but when you spend 70% of the time in subpackages you need guys who can get after the QB. I think there is a roster spot for a premier dedicated run stopper, but not 2. Then comes a question of how much resources you want to dedicate to this(these) run stopper(s).

That's actually my fundamental issue with taking Vea so high.
You mainly have to see what depth you have.

Vea can do things in the pass rushing department too.

Quote:
Teams will attack your weakness. Our weakness was stopping the run. Having a mammoth at NT to make it challenging to run through will make teams think. We lack that with the NTs we have.

You need to be able to build on having depth on the DL. There are guys who can do one of the two things and then there are guys who can do both in pass rushing and run stopping. DL is physically demanding. So it would be good to have a rotation that you can depend on. I don't think we have good depth currently.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
You mainly have to see what depth you have.

Vea can do things in the pass rushing department too.

Teams will attack your weakness. Our weakness was stopping the run. Having a mammoth at NT to make it challenging to run through will make teams think. We lack that with the NTs we have.

You need to be able to build on having depth on the DL. There are guys who can do one of the two things and then there are guys who can do both in pass rushing and run stopping. DL is physically demanding. So it would be good to have a rotation that you can depend on. I don't think we have good depth currently.
We absolutely need to upgrade the talent on the interior Dline. I think an explosive penetrating DT along with a rotation 1tech is desired. I'm of the camp the that 0/1tech can be had in mid rounds as there are multiple guys who fit that bill.
I see only 2 elite explosive upfield DT....Hurst and Bryan.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Dodger View Post
I know you posted this before his suspension, but what do you think about him now?
Liuget is a decent starter but not worth his pay. Early in his career he had one or two dominant games per year, then he'd get hurt and just hold his position. He never got consistently great but has been consistently around avg for a starter.
We can get avg for a lot less money. Draft young talent that has some upside.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
We absolutely need to upgrade the talent on the interior Dline. I think an explosive penetrating DT along with a rotation 1tech is desired. I'm of the camp the that 0/1tech can be had in mid rounds as there are multiple guys who fit that bill.
I see only 2 elite explosive upfield DT....Hurst and Bryan.
Vea & Payne consistently play on the other guy's side of the LOS. We don't need another rusher, we need crush the pocket and beat the drive blocking double teams. (although they do get an occasional sack)
Old 03-24-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Vea & Payne consistently play on the other guy's side of the LOS. We don't need another rusher, we need crush the pocket and beat the drive blocking double teams. (although they do get an occasional sack)
Vea doesnít play beyond the LOS by design of there defense. He posts and 2 gaps. He has upside to push but he plays with a high pad level way too much. A man 6í5Ē canít do that inside in the NFL. Physical freak with uncanny movement skills though.