Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2018, 07:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
Mike Williams was a rookie bust. Tyrell Williams has accomplished significantly more in the NFL. TW is the superior talent until MW proves otherwise.
Right......

I love the caveat you put in there "TW is the superior talent until MW proves otherwise".....

TW is a nice find out of the UDFA pile, but he isn't anywhere near as talented as KA or MW.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Well.... I'm one of those who "bash" TW.... so I guess I'll try to explain my view on the situation...

To me TW is an average WR who is made better due to Rivers. His rookie year nobody had tape, therefore the explosion. His body size and speed is great and gives him the tools to become an above average to good WR.... but here's the thing.... he doesnt/hasn't improved.

First of all, his "size" is irrelevant because he doesnt fight for contested balls. Heck he doesnt even jump or lift his arms up. He uses his body to catch balls and that should show you right there that hes just average. The great ones use their hands and due to the fact he uses his body so often, the times hes supposed to catch with his hands (over the shoulder grabs for example) more than likely results in drops. This is something that is easily fixable.... but why has it not been fixed? I, obviously dont know his training regiment so I cant say he doesnt work on it, but.... if we keep seeing the same issue from his rookie year.... then what can we conclude?

Second issue.... his pis poor route running. Again... this is something that has been a problem since year one and it's something that is easily fixable. Again.... cant say he doesnt work on it, but if he has been and it's still an issue, its because hes just bad at it.

The third thing that gets me with him is the biggest thing.... he has a low football IQ. He doesnt recognize coverages, he doesnt recognize where hes supposed to go. Theres the famous line from Gates where he said the first time him and rivers stepped onto the field, he (gates) saw something in the coverage before the ball was snapped, so he looked over at Rivers and rivers was STARING right at him because he too saw that. Sometimes the play call is to go one way but coverages or blown coverages (as well as oline failures) dictate you go a separate way. TW never sees these. How many times have we seen Rivers through up his arms, or motion with his hand to cut that way, heck in the KC game you saw him mouth "where are you going?" We all blame Rivers for a terrible INT, but the reality is, the WR should have been there because that's what the coverage called for, but TW just doesnt see it, so he fails to do it.

I always half joke about how if I were TW I would ride to San Diego every day with Rivers and watch film with him so I could begin to see exactly what Rivers sees. That would do so much to improving his game.

What separates the average players from the good and great is the effort in between games. LTs off season workouts were legendary. Jerry Rice catching bricks to create soft hands is the thing of Gods. Ray Lewis was an animal during practice... Allen Iverson, for as funny as his rant was, had the talent and chance to be considered one of the greatest, but he viewed practice as a joke.

what kind of player does TW want to be? Because his play and his continued (fixable) mistakes and issues shows that hes ok with just being average. A WR who doesnt use his hands, runs poor routes, has a low football IQ cannot be considered anything more than average.

/rant
Old 07-31-2018, 09:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Oh and one more thing.... when he first appeared I claimed that he will catch the game winning touchdown in our first Super Bowl, therefore exorcising the demons that the number 16 has on this team.

I still stand by that comment.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniard View Post
Well.... I'm one of those who "bash" TW.... so I guess I'll try to explain my view on the situation...

/rant
Great post.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-31-2018, 10:12 AM
Hall of Famer

TW is in his 4th year in a quality program. Eastern Oregon isn't well known for developing NFL WRs. KA is from Cal & MW from Clemson. TW has greater size & speed than KA and is faster than MW. Still he is obviously not in their class. I expect he'll continue to be an asset and have a solid NFL career. If he continues to build on his opportunity, he's going to get a big payday somewhere.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:22 AM
Boltgang74

I agree that Rivers kinda props him up.Not a huge fan of the guy either.Always seems that Rivers is pissed at him for some blunder.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
TW is in his 4th year in a quality program. Eastern Oregon isn't well known for developing NFL WRs. KA is from Cal & MW from Clemson. TW has greater size & speed than KA and is faster than MW. Still he is obviously not in their class. I expect he'll continue to be an asset and have a solid NFL career. If he continues to build on his opportunity, he's going to get a big payday somewhere.

I am of the belief that NFL GM's/HC's/Scouts are more than able to recognize TW has reached his ceiling, essentially meaning what you currently see is what you will get, and be wise enough to not over pay for his production.

But.....

It will only take 1 dumb GM.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:25 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Funny how all of that Small School Sammy comes home time and time and time again huh ?

Kneel. Let the Doves and Balloons fly too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Why bash our productive skill players ?

TW was raw as hell when we drafted him.

Watch him go off as WR#3 this year.

It's about matchups.

Loosely stated, PR won't force the ball to TW.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Why bash our productive skill players ?

TW was raw as hell when we drafted him.

Watch him go off as WR#3 this year.

It's about matchups.

Loosely stated, PR won't force the ball to TW.

I am not bashing TW, but I am also not buying TW has the talent of KA or MW.

Let us hope he sees few targets, and the few he does see, he makes the most of them.