Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents/Trade Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2018, 10:04 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
I don't think they'll be apt to bring in another "project" at QB. Geno knows the offense and any others would need time to learn the offense before they could be ready to step in. Anyway, what are the odds that the backup QB will play during the regular season?

I think they are more likely to look at help in the trenches. Better backups at OT and DT and LB.

My thoughts:

QB.....I just get the feeling AL actually likes his options in Smith and even Jones. It seems ridiculous, but one of the two has won the BU slot. There are a number of vet QB's on that 'possibly available' list that wouldn't require huge amounts of time to be adequate (knowledge of offence) if Rivers was lost.

All other positions.....you can bet TT and staff will be looking.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 AM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
I don't think they'll be apt to bring in another "project" at QB. Geno knows the offense and any others would need time to learn the offense before they could be ready to step in. Anyway, what are the odds that the backup QB will play during the regular season?

I think they are more likely to look at help in the trenches. Better backups at OT and DT and LB.
Yup... we are stuck with Geno this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a young QB next year... but IMO, PR wants to play several more years... at least until 2020 in the new stadium... and likely another year or two after that. They may spend a 3rd rounder or later next year on a dev project with more talent or they may bring in a better vet... but PR has shown no signs of slowing down... he had a great year last year and Brees and Brady are longer in the tooth and they are still playing.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:06 AM
I be humbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
With the deadline for cutting down to the final 53 coming up on Sept. 1, who are some of the top players who may get cut that the Bolts should consider signing or trading for? Here are a few to get the ball rolling:

QB - Terry Bridgewater, Jets
Safety - Obi Melanfonwu, Raiders
QB - Paxton Lynch, Broncos
OL - Cedric Ogbuehi, Bengals
DL - Carl Nassib, Browns
OL - Jermey Parnell, Jags
OL - J'Marcus Webb, Colts
QB - Joe Webb, Texans
TE - Rico Gathers, Dallas
QB - Kevin Hogan, Redskins
DE - RJ McIntosh, Giants
DT - Dominique Easley, Rams
OL - Hroniss Grasu, Bears
QB - Tom Savage, Saints
DE - Daeshon Hall, Panthers
QB - Matt Schaub, Falcons

https://247sports.com/nfl/tennessee-.../#120874279_31
We need a TE more than anything, but I know nothing about Gathers.

I had no idea Schaub was still in the league.

No to Lynch.

Maybe yes to Easley. DT is the second biggest need.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:15 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
We need a TE more than anything, but I know nothing about Gathers.
Neither do I, but Gathers is too close to Gaithers!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Rico Gathers is straight out of the Antonio Gates mold.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:26 AM
I be humbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Neither do I, but Gathers is too close to Gaithers!!!

Looks like Gathers was trying to go the Antonio Gates route in the NFL, but has been shut down by injuries. He's just like our UDFA TE's...zero catches in NFL regular games.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:03 PM
First member of the board

We all know Cardale Jones can't play QB. Maybe he could become a TE? He has the size and pretty decent speed. Put him on the practice squad and teach him to be a TE in practice.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:49 PM
Go Chargers!

I have to throw Kaare Vedvik's name out there (pronounced CORR-e Ved-VICK) an UDFA punter/kicker from Marshall with the Ravens, apparently he's done pretty well, yes he's punted, kicked FG's, XP's and KO's in PS games.

The Ravens of course have one of the best kickers in Justin Tucker and a real good but aging punter (36) in Sam Koch, I don't know if he makes the team or not, if not, the Chargers should consider working him out.

A few of his kicks with Ravens:
https://www.baltimoreravens.com/vide...a-huge-leg-old

Hes demonstrated to us that the talent he has can be used on the punt team and the field goal team, Ravens ST Cord Jerry Rosburg said. .... they originally brought him in as a P but found they believe he can do either at the NFL level.

Link for comment above and more:
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports...e2d4d69a8.html

Go Chargers!
Old 08-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Rookie

Default Anthony Firkser

Titans TE Anthony Firkser looked pretty good against the Steelers the other day. Might be worth a look if he's available.

Last edited by bluez28; 08-27-2018 at 04:28 PM..
Old 08-27-2018, 04:21 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
We all know Cardale Jones can't play QB. Maybe he could become a TE? He has the size and pretty decent speed. Put him on the practice squad and teach him to be a TE in practice.
This just came to me today, we may see Cardale a certain way, AL may see him a different way .... as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can't tell much difference from last yr, he may flash some in practice or a game, but can he become consistently good? .... that remains to be seen, I have my doubts, but I could be wrong.

We'll find out what AL and the team think of Cardale come Sept 1st, he's still PS eligible, that would get my vote if they wanna continue to work with him.

Go Chargers!