Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you want Mike Badgley to be our kicker?
Yes 42 68.85%
No 14 22.95%
Go for 2 every time 5 8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2018, 10:03 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default Mike Badgley Splits Things

Hold our breaths time this weekend. Maybe Carlo Santos makes the trip to London come next week as Zeurlein is expected to be back for the Rams.

Quote:
Chargers sign a kicker Mike Badgley; will still keep Sturgis on the roster

Per Field Yates, with veteran kicker Caleb Sturgis nursing a strained quad, the Chargers are signing free agent kicker Mike Badgley, league sources say. Sturgis will not be cut, however, as the Chargers will carry two kickers on their active roster.

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...on-the-roster/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default JJJ heading to the practice squad

The Los Angeles Chargers added a new kicker on Thursday, signing Michael Badgley while waiving WR JJ Jones. The Bolts now have two kickers on the roster as Badgley joins Caleb Sturgis.

Badgley most recently spent the past four years serving as the kicker for the Miami Hurricanes from 2014-2017. He locked down the job as a true freshman, and over his career made 77 of 97 attempts (79.4 percent) with a long of 57. Badgley proved to have good accuracy, connecting on 24 of 26 career attempts between 40-49 yards. As a senior a year ago, he made 17 of 23 attempts with a long of 50.

The 5-10, 183-pound kicker initially signed as a free agent with the Indianapolis Colts after going undrafted this past April. He appeared in all four preseason games this summer, making all five field goals, including a long of 51 yards. He also connected on all five extra point attempts.

Meanwhile, the Bolts waived Jones after he appeared in three games, primarily serving as the teamís kickoff and punt returner. He averaged 23 yards on three kickoff returns as well as 4.8 yards on five punt returns.

https://www.chargers.com/news/charge...ichael-badgley

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Rookie

Why does it feel like we haven't had an actual good, reliable kicker since John Carney?
Maybe we should contact Wide Right Richey and Steve Christie, if we're going to carry two kickers again.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Hall of Famer

DK has been good on kick/punt returns. I guess JJ Jones not playing on offense and King doing the job at the return game pushed Jones off the roster.

This could be it for Sturgis. If he continues to be underwhelming Lynn will have to replace him.

What is the longest range that the new kicker has kicked from?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
DK has been good on kick/punt returns. I guess JJ Jones not playing on offense and King doing the job at the return game pushed Jones off the roster.

This could be it for Sturgis. If he continues to be underwhelming Lynn will have to replace him.

What is the longest range that the new kicker has kicked from?
It could be the end for Sturgis if his quad injury keeps him out for longer than a week.

I donít see the Chargers waiting on him if he is still out next week with Carlo Santos likely reentering the market after Sundayís game.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Mark View Post
Why does it feel like we haven't had an actual good, reliable kicker since John Carney?
Maybe we should contact Wide Right Richey and Steve Christie, if we're going to carry two kickers again.
Nate Kaeding was very reliable in the regular season for more than a half-decade.

Postseason??? Different story.

Novak was reliable for several seasons as well.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 AM
glutton for punishment...

The JJ hype train has officially been snuffed out. One PR TD in the preseason and he was slated by many to be the next Hester.

King has been VERY good at returns. He is more durable and has very good vision. Perhaps a step or two slower... but he can take a hit w/o looking like he is going to get crushed to death. Only concern is that King is a valuable DB and I worry about his health.... we really need him in the backfield.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
Old 10-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Rookie

What happened to the guy who competed with Sturgis in camp?

Why not him?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMR8FAN View Post
What happened to the guy who competed with Sturgis in camp?

Why not him?
Ricky. Thats what i was thinking.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Nate Kaeding was very reliable in the regular season for more than a half-decade.

Postseason??? Different story.

Novak was reliable for several seasons as well.
I just remember Kaeding being a head case and missing the big kicks. Novak wasn't terrible, just seems like he wasn't around very long, 4 years or so? Still, that's two kickers since Carney that haven't sucked... Crazy.