Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Rookie

Honestly, they need to go after Earl Thomas. Him and Derwin would be insane back there. Especially since Earl Thomas knows Bradley’s D. Addae needs to go and Benjamin. After releasing Barksdale that opens 5 mil in cap space. Benjamin and Addae would open another 10. If they decide to release Liuget as well, that opens another 8 mil. With run stuffing DT needed and guys like Malcom Brown and Bennie Logan FAs and known for being run stuffers. And still going for a DT like Dexter Lawrence or Christian Wilkins in the draft. Maybe even a ILB like Germain Pratt. Either way, they need to focus on their run D. I’m also a fan of OT Kaleb McGary in the 2nd at this point.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:13 AM
& ramblin' man

agree that ET makes a lot of sense @FS. if our FO can see their way to disengaging from Addae's contract will take that as a positive step in their development, as saying good bye to players under contract is not their forte/MO.

and ditto for Benjamin, if they can let him out of his contract, and not go out and sign a receiver just for the sake of signing a receiver, would love to go w/what we've got and reinforce our lines instead for once.

hadn't really given much thought to signing a FA Dlineman, albeit if the likes of Philon, Square and Mebane don't make it back for next season, then there are names like Malcolm Brown ($7m), Kyle Williams ($6m) and Terrell McClain ($4m) to consider, and yes.... in addition to a draft pick @DT.

also have FA Demetrius Rhaney on my watch list @the OC.

and agree again on Germaine Pratt, and like Kaleb McGary (not so much as a Charger tho) as well, albeit some peoples don't like that he might not be able to handle too much speed on the outside ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by beachcomber; 12-11-2018 at 01:02 AM..
Old 12-11-2018, 01:29 AM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerTrader View Post
There is only one safety worth even thinking about in rounds 1 and 2.... as everyone has mentioned that is Thompson and I think there is a decent chance he falls to us late in round 1. Still very early... No other safety, at least for how the Chargers would want him to play, would be a high pick consideration for me. The tape tells the truth and most are a big pass.
will be (very) surprised if Deionte does anything close to the such, and....

Quote:
I’ve been told the NFL isn’t as high on Thompson as I am.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/...k-draft-4-0/2/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:19 AM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
You'll see Jones, a young, ascending player, defense passes and show range + tackling ability. I like him over all others at late round 2.

I would not be adverse to trading up for Deionte Thompson, as a final piece, key ingredient to unlock Derwin.

The "savvy veteran" is Jaylen Watkins.
It's a real shame we couldn't see what he could do. He could have been a nice value piece for us back there.

I don't think it's imperative that we have a difference maker at FS, I'd just prefer to have someone who is in position regularly. Though I do like Addae, he is much better suited near the LOS.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Cut: WR Benjamin
FA: LB Barr, K Gostkowski/Gould, S Amos

Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
agree that ET makes a lot of sense @FS. if our FO can see their way to disengaging from Addae's contract will take that as a positive step in their development, as saying good bye to players under contract is not their forte/MO.

and ditto for Benjamin, if they can let him out of his contract, and not go out and sign a receiver just for the sake of signing a receiver, would love to go w/what we've got and reinforce our lines instead for once.

hadn't really given much thought to signing a FA Dlineman, albeit if the likes of Philon, Square and Mebane don't make it back for next season, then there are names like Malcolm Brown ($7m), Kyle Williams ($6m) and Terrell McClain ($4m) to consider, and yes.... in addition to a draft pick @DT.

also have FA Demetrius Rhaney on my watch list @the OC.

and agree again on Germaine Pratt, and like Kaleb McGary (not so much as a Charger tho) as well, albeit some peoples don't like that he might not be able to handle too much speed on the outside ??
There are actually a bunch of interesting DT names in FA this year, and it is a stacked DL class so I'm curious to see what the market is like for these guys. In addition to the names you have above:

Grady Jarrett - will get paid but he is a difference maker
Suh
Sheldon Richardson
Wilkerson
Shelton
Hankins
Ngata
Irving

Michael Pierce is a RFA but he was an UDFA, if he gets an original round tender then we should be running hard at him.

Lots of Edge players as well... Ansah, Clowney, Lawrence, Wake, Graham, Mathews, Orakpo, Suggs, Barr, Barrett, Ford, Fowler, Peppers, Johnson, Clark, Flowers, Smith, etc.

One value Edge player might be Aaron Lynch, who is very strong against the run.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Hall of Famer

Great report, I AM.
Interesting names.
TT coupon shopping.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:57 PM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
Michael Pierce is a RFA but he was an UDFA, if he gets an original round tender then we should be running hard at him.

One value Edge player might be Aaron Lynch, who is very strong against the run.
not familiar w/Pierce, but like that he's got some heft to him @340, and.... was a (big) proponent of bringing Aaron Lynch in here last time 'round.

still in favor of A. Barr here, and hadn't thought 'bout Shaquil Barrett, but could be some (very) good depth.

Last edited by beachcomber; 12-11-2018 at 03:06 PM..
Old 12-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
not familiar w/Pierce, but like that he's got some heft to him @340, and.... was a (big) proponent of bringing Aaron Lynch in here last time 'round.

still in favor of A. Barr here, and hadn't thought 'bout Shaquil Barrett, but could be some (very) good depth.
Agreed. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but IMO we could stand to have a little more depth/competition at edge. Any of those guys or good or draft someone to develop.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Old 12-19-2018, 08:11 PM
& ramblin' man

think this is a very important/telltale selection for us.... (@FS).

really think our culture shifted w/the hiring of AL and for me, the drafting of Desmond King was also a pivotal moment in the shaping of our personnel.

personally had King slotted to Pittsburgh in the first as the quintessential Steeler.... obviously they passed as did all 32 of 'em, and time and time again over the course of the three days.

and thinking 'bout our HC, have recently had the thought that his MO of sorts is that he's a tough out, and that if you think you're gonna take him (and his team) down, that you're gonna "feel" him in the process.

Tre Boston was a valuable asset for us, and.... don't think he's the prototypical player/defender on an AL coached/Gus Bradley designed defense.

there are guys @FS like Lukas Denis, and my single highs of choice, Jordan Fuller and Chris Johnson, albeit not sure they fit the new mold here.

one guy who def fits the AL makeup is Brandon Jones.... are we gonna get him before the Steelers and any and all the other of the perennial NFL powerhouses ??

personally am a fan of Nasir Adderly, and think they both may be getting thirtysomething consideration by the time April rolls around.

also like Deionte Thompson, albeit again not so sure he is the prototype that best serves this team and its makeup going forward.

am undoubtedly hoping for one of the big ol' DTs come round one.... am also thinking QB or CB as well, and would have no problem w/RB Bryce Love.

that all said and done, will team Tommy John take the ball and run w/it and build on their successes of Desmond, Derwin, Joey and even Denzel.... this draft and its successors could begin to usher in a new era of Super Charger footba!!

Old 12-20-2018, 12:38 AM
Hall of Famer

Battle tested, experience in championship games, passionate player heck of a talent. If he's healthy having him team up with our talented secondary would be fun to watch. With the way TT and staff have managed to find gems in UFA it may not matter.

Sidenote I hope Jason Verrett can contribute and stay healthy if he somehow remains with the team next season. It's a long shot...he's gone through so much adversity. It would be gratifying to him to have a comeback season as Mike Williams did this year and Keenan last year. Be fun to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
Honestly, they need to go after Earl Thomas. Him and Derwin would be insane back there. Especially since Earl Thomas knows Bradley’s D. Addae needs to go and Benjamin. After releasing Barksdale that opens 5 mil in cap space. Benjamin and Addae would open another 10. If they decide to release Liuget as well, that opens another 8 mil. With run stuffing DT needed and guys like Malcom Brown and Bennie Logan FAs and known for being run stuffers. And still going for a DT like Dexter Lawrence or Christian Wilkins in the draft. Maybe even a ILB like Germain Pratt. Either way, they need to focus on their run D. I’m also a fan of OT Kaleb McGary in the 2nd at this point.