Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-02-2019, 12:56 AM
Boltinloudguy Boltinloudguy is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Oceanside
Posts: 30
Default

I think TW and TB are both gone. They can go a low risk high toward WR in Kevin White and also go after a John Brown type receiver as well. They can and will have cap space for that. They already cleared up 5 mil with the release of Barksdale.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-02-2019, 06:49 AM
ltinabottle ltinabottle is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 6,380
Default

TW has been great stretching the defense this year. TB has come on as of late with some critical catches. We have only one ball so it's difficult to get targets to receivers regularly in this offense. I think addition by subtraction might be good allowing other receivers to get more targets. Mikey is a great example.

I think what's missing is a shorter guy who is cat quick and can be counted on for specifically shorter routes using the width/ sidelines. Could that be Artavis Scott? Wes Welker defined the position when he joined the Patriots...NFL copied soon after seeing his success. Be nice for Rivers to have someone that can beat his man on outs on a regular basis or on slants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
I think TW and TB are both gone. They can go a low risk high toward WR in Kevin White and also go after a John Brown type receiver as well. They can and will have cap space for that. They already cleared up 5 mil with the release of Barksdale.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-02-2019, 02:32 PM
beachcomber's Avatar
beachcomber beachcomber is online now
& ramblin' man
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NorCal
Posts: 607
Default

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/...rs-in-the-nfl/
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-03-2019, 03:15 AM
woodeye2000's Avatar
woodeye2000 woodeye2000 is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: san jose
Posts: 26,914
Default

Production will come from other weapons.

KA. MW. HH. MG. AE.

Cantrell/Artavis et al will have limited, specialized roles, including blocking, ST, KR.

WR is low PON, after DB, OL, defensive depth.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-03-2019, 04:27 PM
beachcomber's Avatar
beachcomber beachcomber is online now
& ramblin' man
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NorCal
Posts: 607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
WR is low PON, after DB, OL, defensive depth.
can you go to sleep feeling good about the injury concerns of Keenan and Mike ?? or would you be better served in hedging your bet outside of Travis and Dylan ??

agree it might be best to sit tight and invest draft capital otherwise, and.... if there's a very talented wideout still on the board day three, think you've got to consider it, and....

we all know that there will be @least a coupla few UDFAs that will be of some intrigue come training camp.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-03-2019, 06:36 PM
Boltnut's Avatar
Boltnut Boltnut is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: La Mesa
Posts: 5,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
Production will come from other weapons.

KA. MW. HH. MG. AE.

Cantrell/Artavis et al will have limited, specialized roles, including blocking, ST, KR.

WR is low PON, after DB, OL, defensive depth.
There's a pretty good chance that MG and HH are signed to their second contracts after next year. Don't expect either to come cheap. 2021 is where it gets interesting... I expect MW will get his 5th year option (again, not cheap). But Keenan Allen, Melvin Ingram, and Joey Bosa all have contracts expiring in 2020. Bosa's contract will reportedly cost $25 million/year. Currently, Ingram/Allen contracts equal $27 million together.

Tough decisions don't have to be made today... or even next year. But it's always good to be prepared for the inevitable. I'd be planning to draft pass rusher and WR this year. That way you're not relying on rookies to fill big shoes... or hoping/praying late rounders/UDFA's grow wings akin to what TW did. Not all gambles pay off like that. And PON can be addressed through FA as well. DT and FS are deep in FA and the draft. OT will be a crap shoot this year. Should have been addressed already...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-03-2019, 09:08 PM
beachcomber's Avatar
beachcomber beachcomber is online now
& ramblin' man
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NorCal
Posts: 607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
There's a pretty good chance that MG and HH are signed to their second contracts after next year. Don't expect either to come cheap. 2021 is where it gets interesting... I expect MW will get his 5th year option (again, not cheap). But Keenan Allen, Melvin Ingram, and Joey Bosa all have contracts expiring in 2020. Bosa's contract will reportedly cost $25 million/year. Currently, Ingram/Allen contracts equal $27 million together.

Tough decisions don't have to be made today... or even next year. But it's always good to be prepared for the inevitable. I'd be planning to draft pass rusher and WR this year. That way you're not relying on rookies to fill big shoes... or hoping/praying late rounders/UDFA's grow wings akin to what TW did. Not all gambles pay off like that. And PON can be addressed through FA as well. DT and FS are deep in FA and the draft. OT will be a crap shoot this year. Should have been addressed already...
think the two guys that have the longest odds/are not necessarily a gimme to be resigned are the two Melvins. guessing Bosa gets resigned and ditto for Keenan and Henry.

we have Nwosu in the wings as there has been some noise that we like him @LEO, and you can most oft plug 'n play an RB from the draft if and when need be.

and FA is tempting for a DT, albeit think we might be better off via the draft there, and think we might see a double dip @safety in both the draft and in FA there.... OT looks like the draft is the best bet going forward.

also don't think we need to go into the draft looking to draft edge and/or wideout, albeit wouldn't rule it out all together either, and.... suspect that Bosa's $s might come in @under the $20m mark ??
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Boltnut's Avatar
Boltnut Boltnut is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: La Mesa
Posts: 5,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
think the two guys that have the longest odds/are not necessarily a gimme to be resigned are the two Melvins. guessing Bosa gets resigned and ditto for Keenan and Henry.

we have Nwosu in the wings as there has been some noise that we like him @LEO, and you can most oft plug 'n play an RB from the draft if and when need be.

and FA is tempting for a DT, albeit think we might be better off via the draft there, and think we might see a double dip @safety in both the draft and in FA there.... OT looks like the draft is the best bet going forward.

also don't think we need to go into the draft looking to draft edge and/or wideout, albeit wouldn't rule it out all together either, and.... suspect that Bosa's $s might come in @under the $20m mark ??
The Chargers don't mind spending money on second contracts on guys they like. Which is why I think Bosa and Gordon get re-signed. Rookies take time to develop. Ingram and Allen are second contract guys whose production will probably decrease in their third contracts. TB's production never really lived up to his second contract, so he will soon be gone too. TW gone next year... TB the next... possibly KA in 2021...

Kahlil Mack got $23 million/year. That is Bosa's floor. He'll probably get more.

The one caveat is PR. His contract expires at end of 2019. You gotta believe he'll be extended... but, how many years...?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is offline
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 33,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
The Chargers don't mind spending money on second contracts on guys they like. Which is why I think Bosa and Gordon get re-signed. Rookies take time to develop. Ingram and Allen are second contract guys whose production will probably decrease in their third contracts. TB's production never really lived up to his second contract, so he will soon be gone too. TW gone next year... TB the next... possibly KA in 2021...

Kahlil Mack got $23 million/year. That is Bosa's floor. He'll probably get more.

The one caveat is PR. His contract expires at end of 2019. You gotta believe he'll be extended... but, how many years...?
Oh sweet Mother of Pearl !!!!!!!!!!!!! For one guy with a bad footsy ??????

Oh, the room is growing dimmer. I'm blind
Oh, can we figure out the cursed Ratbirds defense
Oh, can we stop that stupid azz high school run option crap
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Boltnut's Avatar
Boltnut Boltnut is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: La Mesa
Posts: 5,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Oh sweet Mother of Pearl !!!!!!!!!!!!! For one guy with a bad footsy ??????

Oh, the room is growing dimmer. I'm blind
Oh, can we figure out the cursed Ratbirds defense
Oh, can we stop that stupid azz high school run option crap
That "Bad Footsy" guy provides that Ratbird pass rush we crave. 5.5 sacks in his last 6 games takes pressure of the secondary, too.

Beat the Ratbirds by staying balanced on offense. Limit holding calls and false starts and you stay out of 3rd and long situations. Short passes to RB's on the perimeter and TE's short/middle. Occasional deep throws to TB (just not 1st play of the game). Stretch that defense vertically and horizontally and account for Jefferson... hit him before he hits you.

Derwin spies Lamar. Shoot gaps on runs, blitzes on pass plays. CB's tight press coverage on mediocre WR's. Pullard responsible for quick hit middle runs. Addae responsible for TE's.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14 AM.


© 2018 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.