Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 05:16 PM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
He makes some good points. Top ten QB's make so much money that there's not enough left to build a good team around him. I'll go one step further - is it better to release average players at the other positions and bring in rookies at their lower cost? Interesting stuff.

This idea also points out how difficult the GM job is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:52 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
He makes some good points. Top ten QB's make so much money that there's not enough left to build a good team around him. I'll go one step further - is it better to release average players at the other positions and bring in rookies at their lower cost? Interesting stuff.

It took me a while to learn this, I had to watch and study. But yes. If there is an average vet, plus or minus the average area a little, but there is a rookie that can do the same thing for cheaper. Bye bye vet. Salary cap has driven that. Barksdale and Tevi is probably a bad example, but you get the idea. Feeney and Slauson ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post

It is far more challenging than most on here recognize, or acknowledge.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
It is far more challenging than most on here recognize, or acknowledge.
Many CMBers have been involved in business, from owners through management levels to journeymen.
I doubt any have worked with the combination of NFL level money, public exposure & scrutiny. That with all the vagaries of a human product, league owner/management and the NFLPA.

I'm sure it's tough.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Hall of Famer

This is one of the INCREDIBLE benefits of finding UDFAs that start for us. First they end up being the equivalent of higher draft picks and secondly, their salary costs are minimal.

This is also, the reason that FA vets can't be overpaid if it weakens the entire squad. Discerning and keeping those vets that are key (Bosa etc.) Letting those that would cost more than they would likely contribute so that the squad is balanced and competitive.

When Hubby and I were watching the Eagles game this weekend we were talking about what a pleasure it is NOT to have AJ Smith any longer. Letting Sproles go for "3 or 4 players" that weren't around more than a year or so *still smacking my head* Sproles was always more valuable than his statistics might indicate. As a returner, we started a huge percentage of our offensive possessions at or near the 40 yard line. Watching him upend a DL in pass pro was pure pleasure, and as a 3rd down pass catcher/escape hatch for Rivers (boy do I still miss that boy!)

That said, what a tough job... I won't be applying for a GM position any time soon ;-)

Old 01-11-2019, 11:09 PM
BHC: Giving Since 2007

I have a question for all of you concerning the Colts-Chiefs game tomorrow. There is a Winter Storm Warning for Kansas City until 6 p.m. Saturday. How do you see this impacting the game, particularly if it continues to snow after 6?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachba View Post
I have a question for all of you concerning the Colts-Chiefs game tomorrow. There is a Winter Storm Warning for Kansas City until 6 p.m. Saturday. How do you see this impacting the game, particularly if it continues to snow after 6?
Despite being an “indoor team”, I’d have to think that bad weather would favor the Colts’ power running game.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:11 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachba View Post
Favors the Colts, the Colts good oline, and Running back Mack.

Hunt would have even things some, but he is gone.

Snow turns football into a running game.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:17 AM
outback goon

Colts D is built to take away big plays

KC Offense is all big plays.

Colts win this by 2 scores.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
Colts D is built to take away big plays

KC Offense is all big plays.

Colts win this by 2 scores.
I think you might be right. The Colts are top 10 in offense and defense. They have a point differential (old timers- remember thumper?) similar to the Chargers.

KC has a tough match up.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln