Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Electric Glide Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Saw this crazy stat today - in the Super Bowl era only the 2016 Patriots, 2007 Giants, 2005 Steelers, 2000 Ravens, 1984 & 1989 49ers & 1972 Dolphins have won 9+ games on the road (including playoffs).

They all won the Super Bowl that year.

The Bolts have won 9+ games on the road this season......

#1 advise Coach Lynn gave the team imho...Play loose. We actually play loose and to the death on the road vs at home. We've been in playoff mode since the middle of the season. We're not new to this we're true to this!!

If you're a Chargers fan and now in another forum but are reading this. YOU are the Resistance. Bold the Freak up!!!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Hall of Famer

This is a little off topic, but it's been on my mind for a while & hearing today that the Broncos are interested in trading for Antonio Brown reinforced it. The reason Denver is never down long is because the Super Bowl is their ultimate goal. Not building a team for the future, but for now. To me that was always AJ Smith's downfall. As good as those '04-'09 teams were he never went out and got a true difference maker in free agency. He was stubborn beyond belief about building through the draft. I was a huge AJ supporter. He didn't make Marlon McCree fumble. He didn't injure LT & Rivers in '07, but I also don't feel like he did EVERYTHING possible to win a Super Bowl.

We all know John Elway isn't a great GM. His own fans aren't thrilled with him. But he went and got Peyton Manning. He went and got TJ Ward, Louis Vasquez, Emmanuel Sanders, Vernon Davis, Wes Welker, Aqib Talib, DeMarcus Ware, Antonio Smith etc. The result? 2 Super Bowl appearances and 1 win. They were a decent QB away from being contenders this year. He tried to get Cousins & regardless of how he played this year for Minnesota, it still shows that Elway was aggressive at improving the position. Adding Antonio Brown would make Denver very dangerous.

My point? The Chargers are close. I believe they have a 3 year window after this season. Regardless of what happens this year there are some available players at positions of need in free agency. The obvious two that come to mind are Earl Thomas and CJ Mosley. I don't think there's one person on this message board that would disagree that either of those two would be a huge upgrade to the defense & would fit perfectly.

Offensive line is another area. Overall they didn't grade out particularly well. There's a difference between adequate and dominant. There are going to be some decent lineman available.

The salary cap is rising to crazy proportions. It seems in today's NFL that it's not a huge hindrance in building a team. Look at the Rams. They're going all-in to win it. A Lombardi trophy would be worth any type of ramifications down the road.

I'm 44 years old & have been a DieHard Chargers fan my whole life. I don't know about anybody else in here, but I'm tired of hearing from fans of the other three teams in the division about no rings. 1 Lombardi trophy would erase all of the futility of my fandom. It would take the biggest monkey you can imagine off the Chargers back. Telesco has the opportunity to go all in to take this solid team he's built to the next level. Will he do WHATEVER it takes to win a championship?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Hall of Famer

^^^^hr May have already
Old 01-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
This is a little off topic, but it's been on my mind for a while & hearing today that the Broncos are interested in trading for Antonio Brown reinforced it. The reason Denver is never down long is because the Super Bowl is their ultimate goal. Not building a team for the future, but for now. To me that was always AJ Smith's downfall. As good as those '04-'09 teams were he never went out and got a true difference maker in free agency. He was stubborn beyond belief about building through the draft. I was a huge AJ supporter. He didn't make Marlon McCree fumble. He didn't injure LT & Rivers in '07, but I also don't feel like he did EVERYTHING possible to win a Super Bowl.

We all know John Elway isn't a great GM. His own fans aren't thrilled with him. But he went and got Peyton Manning. He went and got TJ Ward, Louis Vasquez, Emmanuel Sanders, Vernon Davis, Wes Welker, Aqib Talib, DeMarcus Ware, Antonio Smith etc. The result? 2 Super Bowl appearances and 1 win. They were a decent QB away from being contenders this year. He tried to get Cousins & regardless of how he played this year for Minnesota, it still shows that Elway was aggressive at improving the position. Adding Antonio Brown would make Denver very dangerous.

My point? The Chargers are close. I believe they have a 3 year window after this season. Regardless of what happens this year there are some available players at positions of need in free agency. The obvious two that come to mind are Earl Thomas and CJ Mosley. I don't think there's one person on this message board that would disagree that either of those two would be a huge upgrade to the defense & would fit perfectly.

Offensive line is another area. Overall they didn't grade out particularly well. There's a difference between adequate and dominant. There are going to be some decent lineman available.

The salary cap is rising to crazy proportions. It seems in today's NFL that it's not a huge hindrance in building a team. Look at the Rams. They're going all-in to win it. A Lombardi trophy would be worth any type of ramifications down the road.

I'm 44 years old & have been a DieHard Chargers fan my whole life. I don't know about anybody else in here, but I'm tired of hearing from fans of the other three teams in the division about no rings. 1 Lombardi trophy would erase all of the futility of my fandom. It would take the biggest monkey you can imagine off the Chargers back. Telesco has the opportunity to go all in to take this solid team he's built to the next level. Will he do WHATEVER it takes to win a championship?
Good take Damage .. what are your thoughts on trading for the #1 and draft Nick Bosa .. a difference maker turning our D into 85 Bears 00 Ravens territory?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Man! That 4rth down was violent.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargingBolts View Post
Good take Damage .. what are your thoughts on trading for the #1 and draft Nick Bosa .. a difference maker turning our D into 85 Bears 00 Ravens territory?
The amount of draft picks that the Chargers would need to offer to move up at least 25 spots in the draft would be astronomical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
The amount of draft picks that the Chargers would need to offer to move up at least 25 spots in the draft would be astronomical.
31 spots ... fixed it for you

Two #1's, Two #2's, Melvin Gordon and Hunter Henry, AZ would do that all day long.

We roll in 2019 with the Brosa's, Ingram at blitzing LB, Derwin on D, on O Keenan, M Dub, Cantrell, Gates, Green, JJax, Ekeler, Newsome.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:53 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
31 spots ... fixed it for you

Two #1's, Two #2's, Melvin Gordon and Hunter Henry, AZ would do that all day long.

We roll in 2019 with the Brosa's, Ingram at blitzing LB, Derwin on D, on O Keenan, M Dub, Cantrell, Gates, Green, JJax, Ekeler, Newsome.
Gordon and Henry will only be under contract through the 2019 season.

That isn’t close to being enough capital for the Cards to make that deal.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Gordon and Henry will only be under contract through the 2019 season.

That isn’t close to being enough capital.
We won't know unless we ask, I would love it, the marketing of the Brosa's would be great and it'd be easier to resign Joey later on.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
We won't know unless we ask, I would love it, the marketing of the Brosa's would be great and it'd be easier to resign Joey later on.
The Cards GM will laugh.

The Rams had to give up two 1sts, two 2nds and a 3rd to move up from 15 to 1.

After giving all of that up for another DE when the Chargers are already stacked at the position, the question is “Why”?

Closed Thread