Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 AM
Experienced

Default Raven game reffing

I was a little concerned with a few calls yesterday.
1) How do we challenge the Watt goal line catch as a TD and it then gets placed at the 1 yard line?
2) How did they take 4 yards away from Ekeler on the run in the 4th quarter where he was immediately down by contact but at the 41 not the 45?
3) How did Okung get a holding call on the sweep by Gordon in the 4th to seal the game, when all he did was an open handed push to the chest of the defender?

I spouted about conspiracy against the Chargers and the NFL not wanting the AFC championship game in Carson before, but feel free to alleviate my concerns. Am I being paranoid? Even paranoid people have enemies.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Calls will only get worse against the Pats. Hope our D doesn't get flagged for touching Brady.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 AM
RIP Stan Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirdsd View Post
1) How do we challenge the Watt goal line catch as a TD and it then gets placed at the 1 yard line?
2) How did they take 4 yards away from Ekeler on the run in the 4th quarter where he was immediately down by contact but at the 41 not the 45?
3) How did Okung get a holding call on the sweep by Gordon in the 4th to seal the game, when all he did was an open handed push to the chest of the defender?

I spouted about conspiracy against the Chargers and the NFL not wanting the AFC championship game in Carson before, but feel free to alleviate my concerns. Am I being paranoid? Even paranoid people have enemies.
To me the officiating was about on par average with what we've seen all year. I guess we'll see next week how the officiating goes if it looks like the Colts start pulling away from the Chiefs. I'm pretty sure the NFL makes the most coin with a Pats Vs. Chiefs AFCCG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBoltFan View Post
To me the officiating was about on par average with what we've seen all year. I guess we'll see next week how the officiating goes if it looks like the Colts start pulling away from the Chiefs. I'm pretty sure the NFL makes the most coin with a Pats Vs. Chiefs AFCCG.
Curious....how does the money increase ?

Broadcast rights are set, commercial time costs set.....is there some Fantasy League money, or Betting money that the League would get a slice of ?

Old 01-07-2019, 09:26 AM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Curious....how does the money increase ?

Broadcast rights are set, commercial time costs set.....is there some Fantasy League money, or Betting money that the League would get a slice of ?
I think the idea here is that the future revenue of these TV contracts are based on ratings... Chiefs/Patriots would likely bring a far better rating... indirectly resulting in a better stance with respect to negotiations.

The worst call yesterday, aside from the non-overturn of the Watt TD reception... was the missed PI on Allen in the 1st half.... dude was pushed out of bounds when he was beaten on a double move. Just ridiculous. That holding call on Okung was bad too... it was just as bad as the one they called in the Ravens game at the Stub when we were marching for the win in the 4th. I firmly fell like we will have to beat the refs next week for sure. I expect a lop-sided game as far as officiating is concerned. I expect one or two blatant PIs against us to be ignored... and at least two mysterious holding calls at crucial points in the game.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Nutz and Boltz

Quote:

1. There have been a few calls this year where the refs have mention the "Giving himself up" as to where the ball is spotted. I think it crazy, dude isn't touched should be spotted where he is touched? That is the only way the refs spot the ball at the 1 instead of it being a TD. Its a bad call.

2. just a bad call.

3. He did arm-bar the guy but it didn't effect the play. I think its a bad call but it was technically holding. Not near as bad as was happening on every play the ravens had on O.

There has been some bad officiating all across the league this year. this game was not as bad as most I think.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Hall of Famer

The refs had some issues, but I don't think it was purposely to screw the Chargers. The Bolts didn't get their first penalty until well into the game. I believe the Ravens had at least 4 before we got one.

The placement of the ball on the Watt non-TD & the Ekeler play were head-scratchers, but what can you do? I've watched a lot of football this year & bad calls are plentiful throughout the league. There is definitely no conspiracy against the Bolts.

Let's not forget how much the league has come down on the Patriots & Brady over the last several years. I don't think the NFL has any special interest in seeing the Patriots succeed more than another team.

I don't buy into the NFL not wanting the AFCCG at StubHub either. If the NFL was genuinely concerned they could have negotiated a deal long ago to move it to a larger venue in the event that the Chargers did host the game.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
The refs had some issues, but I don't think it was purposely to screw the Chargers. The Bolts didn't get their first penalty until well into the game. I believe the Ravens had at least 4 before we got one.

The placement of the ball on the Watt non-TD & the Ekeler play were head-scratchers, but what can you do? I've watched a lot of football this year & bad calls are plentiful throughout the league. There is definitely no conspiracy against the Bolts.

Let's not forget how much the league has come down on the Patriots & Brady over the last several years. I don't think the NFL has any special interest in seeing the Patriots succeed more than another team.

I don't buy into the NFL not wanting the AFCCG at StubHub either. If the NFL was genuinely concerned they could have negotiated a deal long ago to move it to a larger venue in the event that the Chargers did host the game.
I'd say the NFL's new darling might be Mahomies and K.C.
The previous game vs. Baltimore was reffed much worse.
Another missed call was when M dub was 11 yards down field and the LB used his but to bump him and ball was almost intercepted.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Twitter: @Vrabel56

Quote:
Yeah, that one was ridiculous. IIRC didn't they spot Melvin Gordon's down by contact a yard away too?

Quote:
I read somewhere that per NFL rules, it is where he gave himself up at.

Quote:
I personally thought it was a hold. Unneeded, but still a hold.

I thought the hair grab hold was pretty hilarious. Since it's part of your uniform it definitely was a hold, but I have never seen a holding called on yanking someone's hair. Loved it. Showed some dominance over them!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
1) How do we challenge the Watt goal line catch as a TD and it then gets placed at the 1 yard line? Spot of the ball challenges only change the placement of the ball when a first down or touchdown is ruled.
2) How did they take 4 yards away from Ekeler on the run in the 4th quarter where he was immediately down by contact but at the 41 not the 45? The new rules state that when a runner (not just the QB) give themselves up they are down when the start the slide. As a side note, Ekeler should have completed the run and it would not have mattered of he went out of bounds, the clock would have kept running since there was more that 5 minutes left of the clock.
3) How did Okung get a holding call on the sweep by Gordon in the 4th to seal the game, when all he did was an open handed push to the chest of the defender? Okung did hold but it wasn't necessary. Bone head play.

The answers are listed above.