Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2018, 08:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Default NFL.com draft grades: B for Bolts, C for Raiders

Denver Broncos
Draft picks: N.C. State edge rusher Bradley Chubb (No. 5 overall), SMU WR Courtland Sutton (No. 40 overall), Oregon RB Royce Freeman (No. 71 overall), Boston College DB Isaac Yiadom (No. 99 overall), Iowa LB Josey Jewell (No. 106 overall), Penn State WR DaeSean Hamilton (No. 113 overall), Wisconsin TE Troy Fumagalli (No. 156 overall), Arizona State OG Sam Jones (No. 183 overall), Washington LB Keishawn Bierria (No. 217 overall), Arkansas RB David Williams (No. 226 overall).
Overall grade: A
The skinny: Chubb was the best value on the board for this team. Putting him and Von Miller on the same defense makes them dangerous again, like when DeMarcus Ware and Miller were doing their thing. Case Keenum's two-year deal took QB out of the equation here, and Paxton Lynch still has an opportunity to grow into a starter. Sutton's going to be a playmaker at the next level because of his quick feet and size. The Broncos also needed a running back after letting C.J. Anderson go, and found one in Freeman, who looked more explosive later in the 2017 season. He might be getting back to his former self after struggling through injury; if he returns to form, the team got a steal. Trading Aqib Talib meant the Broncos were in need of a corner with length. Yiadom is a good fit. Jewell was a fine fourth-round pick at inside linebacker for the Broncos.

Kansas City Chiefs
Draft picks: Mississippi LB Breeland Speaks (No. 46 overall), Florida State DT Derrick Nnadi (No. 75 overall), Clemson LB Dorian O'Daniel (No. 100 overall), Texas A&M S Armani Watts (No. 124 overall), Central Arkansas CB Tremon Smith (No. 196 overall), Tennessee OG Kahlil McKenzie (No. 198 overall).
Overall grade: B
The skinny: The Chiefs had no first-round selection this year because they traded up 17 spots in 2017 to bring in Patrick Mahomes. The young gunslinger played well enough last season that the team unloaded veteran Alex Smith this off-season. The Chiefs wanted a versatile defender in the second round, and they gave up a third-round pick to go get Speaks, who fits the bill. Speaks has potential, and he'll have to meet it to make the trade-up worthwhile. Nnadi will be a good nose tackle, but can he affect the passing game enough to justify the team's decision to give up a fourth-round pick to move up 11 spots to get him? With the final pick in the third round, the Chiefs added O'Daniel, who will play a safety/linebacker hybrid role. The value was about right, and it will be an interesting fit. Kansas City received pick 124 for cornerback Marcus Peters in their trade with the Rams this off-season, and they used the pick to meet their need for a safety in Watts.

Los Angeles Chargers
Draft picks: Florida State S Derwin James (No. 17 overall), USC LB Uchenna Nwosu (No. 48 overall), N.C. State DT Justin Jones (No. 84 overall), West Virginia S/LB Kyzir White (No. 119 overall), UCLA C Scott Quessenberry (No. 155 overall), Texas Tech WR Dylan Cantrell (No. 191 overall), Northwestern RB Justin Jackson (No. 251 overall).
Overall grade: B
The skinny: The Chargers let the draft come to them in the first round, and they got a great player at a need position. Doesn't get much better than that for a mid-first-round selection. James is fluid, tough, and fast. I don't understand why he was still available at 17. The team was looking to improve its linebacker situation, and it deemed Nwosu the best option available in the middle of the second round. Will Texas' Malik Jefferson or Georgia's Lorenzo Carter -- who were both still on the board -- prove to be better players? Time will tell. They found their nose tackle in the third round, picking Jones. This might have been a little early for him, but we'll see if he can put it all together to be more than a rotational player. White is a physical player with ball skills. Even after signing Mike Pouncey, the Chargers picked Quessenberry, a sturdy pivot who will start in the future. They did not find any depth at guard or tackle, though, nor a quarterback to compete with Geno Smith and Cardale Jones for a backup spot.

Oakland Raiders
Draft picks: UCLA OT Kolton Miller (No. 15 overall), Sam Houston State DT P.J. Hall (No. 57 overall), North Carolina A&T OT Brandon Parker (No. 65 overall), LSU DE Arden Key (No. 87 overall), Wisconsin CB Nick Nelson (No. 110 overall), Michigan DT Maurice Hurst (No. 140 overall), Florida P Johnny Townsend (No. 173 overall), Washington LB Azeem Victor (No. 216 overall), Oklahoma State WR Marcell Ateman (No. 228 overall).
Overall grade: C
The skinny: With many top-notch defenders on the board, the Raiders took an athletic but inconsistent tackle in Miller. His tape did not put him in the mid-first round. The team did get a third- and fifth-round pick in the trade to with Arizona to move five picks down (from 10 to 15), so that's a plus. Hall was one of my favorite non-FBS players in this draft, but his ascension to the second round was astounding. I believe his quickness and tenacious nature will translate to the NFL. Parker is raw and a bit of a reach in the early third, especially for a team that already picked an offensive tackle in Round 1. The Raiders took a chance on Key, who struggled with issues and injuries during his college career. The Raiders traded for a couple veteran receivers -- Martavis Bryant and Ryan Switzer -- over the course of the draft. Oakland doctors signed off on Hurst, a first-round talent who was diagnosed with a heart condition at the NFL Scouting Combine. He's going to be a star.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...r-all-32-teams
3. Charles Omenihu, DT, Texas
4. T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old 05-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Broncos got an A. They picked a lot of CMB faves also.

Raiders may have a C but they got the steal of the draft in Hurst in rd. 5.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
Broncos got an A. They picked a lot of CMB faves also.

Raiders may have a C but they got the steal of the draft in Hurst in rd. 5.
Potentially
But from the info we knew and didnít know,
I donít think it was a ďgreat moveĒ to pick him or not one way or the other
No strong opinion here.

Edit: today at least Iím much happier to have white as a prospect than hurst,l as a prospect (would have taken our 4th rounder to get MG)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ASAP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21and500 View Post
Potentially
But from the info we knew and didnít know,
I donít think it was a ďgreat moveĒ to pick him or not one way or the other
No strong opinion here.

Edit: today at least Iím much happier to have white as a prospect than hurst,l as a prospect (would have taken our 4th rounder to get MG)
After what we went through watching Marcus McNeill slowly go downhill from the stenosis, which was a known issue when we drafted him, maybe the Bolt brass said, "not again..."
3. Charles Omenihu, DT, Texas
4. T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Hall of Famer

I agree. Broncos had a solid draft. Some experts feel they are reloading not rebuilding for another Super Bowl run. Keenum is a proven veteran quarterback.
Miller and Chubb will be scary to face on Sundays. I think Josey Jewell was the only player I hit in the 4th round. I think he will be an eventual starter for Horseface.

Chiefs are my new hated rivals after last seasons second game. You guys going down.

Raiders their thinking they may have their future tackles to protect Carr. Maurice Hurst could be the grand theft player of the draft. Hope he plays for a number of years just to prove everyone wrong. It's a questionable draft one with some calculated risk. You appreciate Gruden for that quality.

Charger fans are riding high on a defensive draft to address the poor ranked run defense. I'm satisfied with the direction given all the speculation of drafting a new quarterback. This draft may be the one that changes franchises fortunes. Which quarterback leads the next generation for fans to follow? Mayfield's Browns, Rosens Cardinals, Jackson's Ravens, Darnold's Jets or Allen's Bills? Rivers the winning starts now. Let's go!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:54 AM
Thank you CMB

Broncos drafted heavy offense which tells you something... I don't think their offense is good enough to compliment their defense for any serious playoff runs or regular season wins.

My prediction for AFCW is...

Chargers
Raiders
Broncos
Chiefs

Old 05-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBoltFan View Post
Broncos drafted heavy offense which tells you something... I don't think their offense is good enough to compliment their defense for any serious playoff runs or regular season wins.

Chargers
Raiders
Broncos
Chiefs
The Broncos won a super bowl with defense and the Miller Chubb combo should be every bit as good as Miller Ware. Not sure they have the dbs. Keenum should be a big improvement tho so I see the Broncos as the most improved afc west Team.

Chiefs are hard to measure with the new qb. Iím sure theyíll want to run.

Raiders, meh.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBoltFan View Post

Chargers
Raiders
Broncos
Chiefs
Chargers drafted heavy defense which tells you something......I dont think their defense is good enough to compliment their offense for any serious playoff runs or regular season wins.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
Chargers drafted heavy defense which tells you something......I dont think their defense is good enough to compliment their offense for any serious playoff runs or regular season wins.
My prediction for the AFCW is

1. Chargers
2. Broncos
3. Chiefs
4. Raiders
Old 05-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Thank you CMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
The Broncos won a super bowl with defense and the Miller Chubb combo should be every bit as good as Miller Ware. Not sure they have the dbs. Keenum should be a big improvement tho so I see the Broncos as the most improved afc west Team.

Chiefs are hard to measure with the new qb. Iím sure theyíll want to run.

Raiders, meh.
Broncos did win the Superbowl with Defense, Miller and Ware played a big role but so did the secondary that is now depleted. Chubb does not give them the same defense they had that Superbowl year.

Offense is certainly a question mark as well... The running game is arguably worse and Thomas/Sanders are another year older with yet another QB to build chemistry with. Which TE is going to be Keenum's security blanket?

Broncos being most improved is debatable IMO. I'd say the Chargers adjusted better this offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
You're joking right? Or are you just trolling?

Last edited by AFBoltFan; 05-03-2018 at 01:07 PM..