Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should Rivers be benched?
Yes! I'm tired of him melting down and losing games by throwing up the rock for picks! 15 21.13%
No, give Rivers another chance 35 49.30%
Maybe, if Rivers keeps on melting down and losing games 13 18.31%
Other--see my post 8 11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Is it time to bench Rivers?

Sorry, watching Philip Rivers throw up THREE interceptions while trying to force the rock into coverage time after time, brings back memories of last year. Last year, Rivers did the same thing repeatedly, and lost us games that were winnable.

If it was our O-line allowing repeated pressure, I could understand it. But no. Rivers had a mostly clean pocket, even on those balls he threw up for picks, so you can't blame the line. No, it's obvious to me that Rivers just doesn't have what it takes to compete and be a cool, composed leader. He frequently melts under pressure. It's like he's trying to win the whole ball of wax with one or two spectacular plays, instead of patiently taking what the opposing defense gives him.

For crying out loud, did Rivers ever hear of throwing the rock out of bounds, or even taking the sack, instead of forcing it into coverage for a pick? Rarely. And Rivers' shortcomings don't stop there. Anyone notice how he was yelling at Lynn to go for it on a 4th and 10? Sorry, MAYBE if it's a 4th and 1 or so, but even then, DON'T yell at the coach in front of the players. Not good.

No, it's evident to me if Rivers doesn't have enough self-control to quit forcing the rock into coverage that he needs to be held accountable and ride some pine. I'll bet if Cardale Jones starts this game, even HE doesn't melt down so bad he throws up THREE picks to lose a winnable game. Bench Rivers. Let the flames begin...

Last edited by topcat4477; 09-24-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Old 09-24-2017, 05:00 PM
...the best strats...

It was awful, yes. You really think there is a better alternative? That is not a defense of rivers...
Old 09-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Power of 51

He had a bad game/lost the game.

But we have no better chance at winning than him at QB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:06 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

This is PR's team, win or lose, until the team sees fit to go in another direction.

After all that he has done, the team owes him that much. This could be his swan song, as I genuinely believe that both he and Gates will retire at the end of the season.

Bench him? No. Start looking for his heir apparent? Absolutely.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 09-24-2017, 05:09 PM
All-Pro

No, because we don't have a better alternative right now. But it's time to draft his replacement, that's for sure. And this is the year to do it! The one hope we have now the rest of the season is to lose as many games as possible and put ourselves in a position to draft Darnold or Rosen. Best for the team going forward, both on and off the field. You get one of those guys, you get the USC or UCLA fans along with them. There's your ticket to the "Fight for LA", and you move on from Rivers at the same time.

I think ideally, it would've been great if they drafted his replacement a year or two ago before his current and steep decline, so they could've sat behind him and learned for a bit before being thrown into the fire. But I don't think we can afford to throw this version of Rivers out as starter for another season anymore, especially with the marketing disaster we have on our hands with a losing team that wasn't wanted in LA to begin with. We've lucked into a situation where a number of talented college QBs are coming into the NFL the next couple of years, though, and now we need to take advantage of it. Hopefully PR can salvage his value a bit the rest of the season, and we can get some additional draft capital for him in the offseason from a team that's a veteran QB away from contending.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:10 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
This is PR's team, win or lose, until the team sees fit to go in another direction.

After all that he has done, the team owes him that much. This could be his swan song, as I genuinely believe that both he and Gates will retire at the end of the season.

Bench him? No. Start looking for his heir apparent? Absolutely.
Well, if they keep tanking, there's some hot college QB's this year.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:13 PM
<*();::::::::;~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
He had a bad game/lost the game.

But we have no better chance at winning than him at QB.
This is 100% correct. He simply had a bad game.

A better question is, is it time to blow this thing up and trade Rivers? I'm serious, something has to change...
Old 09-24-2017, 05:17 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargersFan1981 View Post

A better question is, is it time to blow this thing up and trade Rivers? I'm serious, something has to change...
I don't understand the trade Rivers talk.

Trade him to whom? Have you seen his win/loss record the last three seasons?

What team in the league can look at winning 9 games in three years, and consider it an upgrade worth trading for?

And ultimately, Rivers has to approve any trade. So what do you think Rivers' trade value is, today? And what team do you see PR approving a trade to?

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 09-24-2017, 05:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargersFan1981 View Post

Who would want Rivers? He panics in crunch time and throws up multiple picks that lose games. Now, an old Joe Montana or an old John Elway, even a 40+ George Blanda, someone who's cool under pressure and can march the team downfield for a game-winning score, THAT kind of QB could still be in demand at an advanced age...but NOT Rivers...

Old 09-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
Anyone notice how he was yelling at Lynn to go for it on a 4th and 10? Sorry, MAYBE if it's a 4th and 1 or so, but even then, DON'T yell at the coach in front of the players. Not good.
Coaches coach. Players play.