Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2017, 10:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Maybe that's why the only coaches and GMs that accept jobs here are either 1) bad or 2) inexperienced.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniard View Post
Maybe that's why the only coaches and GMs that accept jobs here are either 1) bad or 2) inexperienced.
The Chargers have had a lot of HOF nominees for HC & GM.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:37 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1422 View Post
. Now the article reads that John Spanos as VP of FB Operations, will be the one with Head Coach Lynn, who will make final roster decisions.

First, Did I read and understand this correctly?
The article indicates that Spanos and Lynn will be part of the process. It does NOT say that they, ONLY, will be making the decisions.

There will be many voices at The Table, including TT's. Frozen provided a good list, above.

p.s. Mods should change title.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
True. You have hit the main point. While the HC & his assistants want the best roster possible and do have a lot of influence, they work within a structure including many others, some of whom may set the standards. Assembling the 90 man offseason roster is a group effort.
I suspect the final cuts from 90 to 53 are primarily the HC, his coordinators & position coaches with some GM & Exec oversight.
That makes the most sense
Old 08-26-2017, 01:59 PM
All-Pro

I agree with the previous posters !!

See, I knew the CMB folks would set me straight on this!!

Thanks to all!! I tried but there does not seem to be the ability to change the thread title - Isn't Freak a Magic Mod these days?? He managed to get the team moved to Carson, after all!! So it seems he could do me the favor, ......
Old 08-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Go Chargers!

I liked this part of the write up in blue, it's gonna be real interesting this yr with so many players (1,147) becoming available at one time after the last pre season game, I like the change, but it's gonna be a long hectic day for the decision makers sifting through it all.

the Bolts are furiously keeping tabs on every other team as well as their own. It’s imperative they have a firm grasp on the 31 other teams in the NFL.

After all, 1,147 players from those teams will become available all at the same time.

“This is often referred to as the pro scouting department’s draft because there are a lot of players in one day going on the waiver wire,” Spanos said. “We need to know all those players, and if they can help us. Now, we like the team that we have, but we are always searching for ways to improve.”

Good luck to them!

Go Chargers!
Old 08-26-2017, 02:25 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Cha-gers View Post
I liked this part of the write up in blue, it's gonna be real interesting this yr with so many players (1,147) becoming available at one time after the last pre season game, I like the change, but it's gonna be a long hectic day for the decision makers sifting through it all.

the Bolts are furiously keeping tabs on every other team as well as their own. It’s imperative they have a firm grasp on the 31 other teams in the NFL.

After all, 1,147 players from those teams will become available all at the same time.

“This is often referred to as the pro scouting department’s draft because there are a lot of players in one day going on the waiver wire,” Spanos said. “We need to know all those players, and if they can help us. Now, we like the team that we have, but we are always searching for ways to improve.”

Good luck to them!

Go Chargers!
I've been thinking about that, too.

There's going to be a CRAZY rush the day of and after cut downs. Better have your pro scouts watching every single team very closely. Seems almost like a works-program for pro scouts.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Yes indeed. This is the first time players are being released from 90-53 players so there is more players to account for all in one time.

Nice to have the initial cut to 75 in the past. Players on the cusp have this weekend to show they belong on their current teams and/or it's their resume on tape to stay alive in the NFL.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
It was an interview with Spanos & Lynn. Telesco is the GM and definitely has some say so unless John is taking over the GM position.
Something to keep an eye on I guess. I doubt that TT's authority and responsibilities have changed much - yet. In the past Dean has backed his GM above all others but of course his son wasn't in that mix then.
Agree.

10char
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Cut: WR Benjamin
FA: LB Barr, K Gostkowski/Gould, S Amos

Old 08-27-2017, 04:05 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1422 View Post
I agree with the previous posters !!

See, I knew the CMB folks would set me straight on this!!

Thanks to all!! I tried but there does not seem to be the ability to change the thread title - Isn't Freak a Magic Mod these days?? He managed to get the team moved to Carson, after all!! So it seems he could do me the favor, ......
That's Magic Mike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.