Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Hall of Famer

lol the Butler did it. John wasn't a mystery writer, but he can certainly make a trade for the ages. Trading Vick to the Falcons then drafting LT and Brees was to set the franchise for the next decade.

A.J. couldn't wait for Brees to fully develop. His injury was the turning point. Maybe his ceiling was reached in S.D. and Payton was the better head coach to give Brees the confidence he needed to excel.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Legend

https://twitter.com/i/status/1069269816245022720

Check out the Kurt Warner interview of Philip Rivers, which was some time last week.

Phil shrugs off being in the same class as Brady and Brees, and Warner cuts in and says "you are." Perhaps that part is debatable, but with each passing game I think Rivers is cementing his spot in Canton even more.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:08 PM
Hall of Famer

I love it, "you are". He flat out IS. Rivers has more passing yards and td's since he became a starter in 2006 than Eli, than Ben, than Rodgers (since 2008 for both), than BRADY. ONLY the ex Charger Drew Brees has more.

Rivers is first ballot and has several years left playing at a high level, hopefully Rivers gets better and better the next several years the way he has been getting better and better the past few years!
Old 12-03-2018, 05:12 PM
SD Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Its my understanding that Pitt wanted Rivers. The Giants wanted Eli and AJ Smith said we will trade him, but only if you draft Rivers. That's how Pitt ended up with Ben.

AJ basically filled out the Giants draft card. It has been discussed "What if AJ had nixed the trade deal ?" But that is a major major no-no in GM world. No one would have anything to do with AJ if he did that.
Pittsburgh did almost all their research on Philip THEY WANTED HIM. Trust me if he had went there he would be HELD UP AS A PLAYER OF VIRTUE and Embodies everything that it is to be a MAN.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:30 PM
glutton for punishment...

It certainly hurts that PR has never even made it to the SB... but it is a team effort... and aside from this year... he really only had a good team around him in 2006 and 2007. I will not rehash 2006 as it makes me want to go postal and I am still at work... but his performance in 2007 should be noted... he played well on one leg in NE... and didn't have Gates to help him get it in the EZ... Didn't LT get hurt in that game too? Again, Big Ben gets credit for 2... when he was absolutely atrocious in 1. The Giant D was the main reason Eli won his two. They both deserve credit... but it is the team that gets you there.

LT was fantastic and had one year where he was MVP and set a record that still holds today. PR has never been the best QB in a season. He is just consistently very good. I am sure he can taste it right now.... this could be the year. But to think that everything rests on his shoulders is silly. If the D plays like it did in the 1st half last night... then we are not making a super bowl run. If the O fails to run block... like it did in the 1st half last night.... a ring is a no-go. But if this team can play near 4 quarters of football like they did in 2 quarters last night.... they will be tough to beat.

I am not sure who deserves a ring more.... Me or PR? I had season tickets from my childhood in the late 70s until my early twenties. I have watched every game ever played... and the inability of the Chargers and Padres to win a championship has made me a complete wreak when I watch the games. If I just had one year that I could point to where we won it all.... I think I could stomach losses a lot better.

In the end.... PR deserves it... I deserve it... you deserve it... but the Gods don't seem to care.... Sports are not fair.... and neither are the so-called "experts" that get payed to talk/write about them. A child born in 2000 in New England would have 5 Super Bowls and 3 WS Rings in less than 2 decades. I have 43 years (86 combined seasons) with no rings. Is this the year?....

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
It certainly hurts that PR has never even made it to the SB... but it is a team effort... and aside from this year... he really only had a good team around him in 2006 and 2007. I will not rehash 2006 as it makes me want to go postal and I am still at work... but his performance in 2007 should be noted... he played well on one leg in NE... and didn't have Gates to help him get it in the EZ... Didn't LT get hurt in that game too? Again, Big Ben gets credit for 2... when he was absolutely atrocious in 1. The Giant D was the main reason Eli won his two. They both deserve credit... but it is the team that gets you there.

LT was fantastic and had one year where he was MVP and set a record that still holds today. PR has never been the best QB in a season. He is just consistently very good. I am sure he can taste it right now.... this could be the year. But to think that everything rests on his shoulders is silly. If the D plays like it did in the 1st half last night... then we are not making a super bowl run. If the O fails to run block... like it did in the 1st half last night.... a ring is a no-go. But if this team can play near 4 quarters of football like they did in 2 quarters last night.... they will be tough to beat.

I am not sure who deserves a ring more.... Me or PR? I had season tickets from my childhood in the late 70s until my early twenties. I have watched every game ever played... and the inability of the Chargers and Padres to win a championship has made me a complete wreak when I watch the games. If I just had one year that I could point to where we won it all.... I think I could stomach losses a lot better.

In the end.... PR deserves it... I deserve it... you deserve it... but the Gods don't seem to care.... Sports are not fair.... and neither are the so-called "experts" that get payed to talk/write about them. A child born in 2000 in New England would have 5 Super Bowls and 3 WS Rings in less than 2 decades. I have 43 years (86 combined seasons) with no rings. Is this the year?....
2009 as well.

LT was on the decline, but the 13-3 squad was very very good before laying the egg against the Jets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:57 PM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
2009 as well.

LT was on the decline, but the 13-3 squad was very very good before laying the egg against the Jets.
You are correct sir.... Must have blocked that long run that killed us out of my mind. Thanks for that.....

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
Old 12-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post

we deserve it more. we've put up with more more than PR over the years.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:45 PM
MVP

The way this team is playing and the balance it has I can see Rivers playing another 3-4 years if he wants to, and super bowl or no super bowl I can see him being a first ballot HOF. That super bowl ring will Obviously help him cement his place there but like some of the guys said earlier, the fans deserve it more. So much heartbreak. That 14-2 season and 13-3 season were so tough to swallow
Old 12-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Free Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargingBolts View Post
I love it, "you are". He flat out IS. Rivers has more passing yards and td's since he became a starter in 2006 than Eli, than Ben, than Rodgers (since 2008 for both), than BRADY. ONLY the ex Charger Drew Brees has more.

Rivers is first ballot and has several years left playing at a high level, hopefully Rivers gets better and better the next several years the way he has been getting better and better the past few years!
No offense man, but I got bored and looked at the stats and you're wrong.
Yards wise Rivers has everyone beat but Brees, but TD wise Brady, Brees, and Rodgers have him beat.

I still think Rivers will be a HOFer though. In my eyes he's done enough to get there. He's half of the best QB/TE due ever.