Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2018, 09:04 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
He could agree to take the job now and start after the Charger season ends
True, although colleges generally want their new head coach to be on the recruiting trail a minute after the deal is struck (if not sooner) rather than having to potentially wait until February for his participation in the recruiting process to start.

It has happened a few times in the past, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shruggy View Post
Has a coordinator ever left their position to coach for another team? I'm not talking about a coordinator getting fired, but taking a promotion mid-season/playoffs? I can't recall that ever happening.

I think the worry should be whether or not Whis' mind is on the task at hand (playing deep into the playoffs, getting to the Super Bowl, etc..) or if it's on the head coach vacancy at Georgia Tech. Not that I'd blame him. It's probably an exciting opportunity.
I dunno about a coordinator, but Bobby Petrino famously did this as an NFL head coach.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 AM
I'm No Noob

If Whiz leaves mid-season, Iíd like to think the offense wouldnít miss a beat. Rivers has had many years games under Whiz and Lynn should be able to step up.

If something happened and Whiz got the flu and couldnít make the trip or call plays in, itís no different.

Absolutely no panic here.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:40 AM
Thank you CMB

I doubt Whis would leave mid-season when we have a winning record and playoff chances, that would be an extremely poor choice.

I obviously hope he does leave, but not counting on it.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:39 PM
Go Chargers!

Per Adam Schefter ....

Chargersí OC Ken Whisenhunt is interviewing this weekend for the Georgia Tech HC job, per league sources.

Whisenhunt attended Georgia Tech, which would like to hire someone with NFL experience connected to the school, per source.

Obviously he has permission from the Chargers to do this, I wish it was next Mon after the game vs the Steelers, hard to focus 100% on prepping for the Chargers vs. Steelers while thinking about interviewing for another job.

I hope this doesn't linger from here till the end of the season, I wish Whiz well but the Chargers players/team deserve someone who'll be there 100% for them.

I don't know who's available at this time of yr should Whiz and the Chargers part ways .... Mike Mularkey? .... certainly not Mike McCoy - ha ha.

Go Chargers!
Old 11-29-2018, 04:43 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Cha-gers View Post
Per Adam Schefter ....

Chargersí OC Ken Whisenhunt is interviewing this weekend for the Georgia Tech HC job, per league sources.

Whisenhunt attended Georgia Tech, which would like to hire someone with NFL experience connected to the school, per source.

Obviously he has permission from the Chargers to do this, I wish it was next Mon after the game vs the Steelers, hard to focus 100% on prepping for the Chargers vs. Steelers while thinking about interviewing for another job.

I hope this doesn't linger from here till the end of the season, I wish Whiz well but the Chargers players/team deserve someone who'll be there 100% for them.

I don't know who's available at this time of yr should Whiz and the Chargers part ways .... Mike Mularkey? .... certainly not Mike McCoy - ha ha.

Go Chargers!
I can't see Whis following in Petrino's footsteps (with Petrino jetting off from a 3-10 team).

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:48 PM
I'm No Noob

Per PFT, he is interviewing on a Saturday and doesnít want this to be a distraction.

Talk about using both sides of your mouth.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tee View Post
Per PFT, he is interviewing on a Saturday and doesnít want this to be a distraction.

Talk about using both sides of your mouth.
On the bright side, Lynn was interviewed in London and was asked about the game prep on Saturday. Lynn responded "We have a saying in Texas, the hay is already in the barn." That clip is in a Backstage Chargers episode.

The head coaching interview is routine for Whis, and I don't believe that going through it on the Saturday will have any effect on Sunday's game. That being said, it remains to be seen how big of a distraction it could become later on if he were to be offered the gig, even if they put off all duties until the Chargers season ends.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:58 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
I can't see Whis following in Petrino's footsteps (with Petrino jetting off from a 3-10 team).
No I can't see that either, IMO it's a distraction, I don't know the outcome, but it's a concern if he gets the GT job and stays on with the Chargers to finish the season he's gonna want to spend some time on GT getting his staff together, recruiting and all that's involved .... hard to give 100% to the chargers while doing this other stuff.

Go Chargers!
Old 11-29-2018, 05:28 PM
Hall of Famer

don't worry fellas, George Stewart is ready to step right in and fill the void.