Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
We arent saying the players should want to lose because that is a loser mentality but as a fan you need to see it from a different point. Dropping 6 spot is not worth a meaningless win. Youre right it doesnt guarantee a better player but the chances are much better thats the whole point
i really dont think it guarantees a better player at all, the draft is such a lottery that we have seen undrafted players become pro bowlers (gates) low picks becoming super stars (brady) and number one picks become huge busts (leaf, russell). If you take last years draft, on a one year grade the best pass rusher has been irwin, drafted by the seahawks. we would have picked at that spot had we lost against the raiders in the last game, but we would never have picked him because of off the field issues. OLB was a position of need for us and even if we had that pick we would have taken ingram.

i want us to destroy the raiders our division opponent and one of our biggest rivals. we play them twice every year and I want their team, fans and front office to know that even do they might see it as a meanless game, we do not. I want them to understand that every year that they play us we are coming for them. I want us to humiliate them, so that every year when we are looking for a win to get to the play offs that remember that we came for them.

I am a fan and i don't agree with you.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Veteran

How come no one mentioned Barkley? I doubt he falls out of he top ten. Arizona will take him if KC opts for Smith.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman541 View Post
How come no one mentioned Barkley? I doubt he falls out of he top ten. Arizona will take him if KC opts for Smith.
Barkley has not played well this year and has health issues with his shoulder
. at this point he is 20-30 on a draft board. he could move up if someone gets desperate, but at this point he is not a top ten pick
Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman541 View Post
Mike Glennon is someone the Cards may take not Barkley.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyfresh View Post
Barkley has not played well this year and has health issues with his shoulder
. at this point he is 20-30 on a draft board. he could move up if someone gets desperate, but at this point he is not a top ten pick
It's questions like these that lead me to make this thread. We know Barkley has not played as good this season, but a team could be desperate enough to pop on him. He has had injury concerns, but a team doctor could say it's nothing he won't recover from. They could say his sprained shoulder isn't anything serious. Bradford was taken much higher after suffering a must worst injury. Ofc Bradford had more talent, but lacking better options a team could very well jump on Barkley earlier than 20.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNAFTA View Post
It's questions like these that lead me to make this thread. We know Barkley has not played as good this season, but a team could be desperate enough to pop on him. He has had injury concerns, but a team doctor could say it's nothing he won't recover from. They could say his sprained shoulder isn't anything serious. Bradford was taken much higher after suffering a must worst injury. Ofc Bradford had more talent, but lacking better options a team could very well jump on Barkley earlier than 20.
Barkley will be taken in the top 40. If he recovers fully and quickly, he'll go top 15.

We see QBs like Freeman, Sanchez, Tannehill and Ponder fly up draft boards every year. We also saw Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees slide on draft day. Who knows what'll happen oon draft day. 3-5 QBs could be taken in the 1st round. Hopefully the run on QBs starts before the run on OTs.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
We arent saying the players should want to lose because that is a loser mentality but as a fan you need to see it from a different point. Dropping 6 spot is not worth a meaningless win. Youre right it doesnt guarantee a better player but the chances are much better thats the whole point
We wouldn't drop 6 spots. Right now I believe we are at 10. The lowest we will drop is to 13. To think we will fare any better by moving up or down a few spots is not sound thinking. Heck, I think we proved that with Ryan Leaf, didn't we? He went from a consensus "can't miss" coin toss between him and Manning at 1 and 2, to the Chargers, to jail. I honestly believe we will get one of the top 3 OTs at 13, if that's where we draft. If not, then we're still looking at either an OLB, G, or CB. There's always the possibility of trading back if the OT we want isn't there, and taking say the kid from Virginia later and picking up a extra pick or two as well.

The reality is draft is a crap shoot no matter how well you prepare for it. In most years half the 1st round selections are either outright busts or significantly outplayed by prospects drafted later, or not even drafted at all. Injuries take their toll as well. I'm hoping for a win against the Raiders, and letting the draft chips fall as they may.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Blame Butts for me

Regardless of where we pick, 10 13 whatever, im hoping to trade down. Get a couple of second tier OTs, CBs, and DTs. I really like what I know about johnnie troutman and think hes a starting gaurd for us next year so im excluding gaurd on purpose (of course I get warmack if available after a drop down no questions/hesitations). I want amerson in the second. I really think this is the year a major trade down is possible with so many qb needy teams. I dont think the russell wilson story is inspiring any clubs to wait till the third for their starting qb. Barkley is injured not broken, he goes before we pick in a trade down scenario.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC-SBV-1D View Post
Regardless of where we pick, 10 13 whatever, im hoping to trade down. Get a couple of second tier OTs, CBs, and DTs. I really like what I know about johnnie troutman and think hes a starting gaurd for us next year so im excluding gaurd on purpose (of course I get warmack if available after a drop down no questions/hesitations). I want amerson in the second. I really think this is the year a major trade down is possible with so many qb needy teams. I dont think the russell wilson story is inspiring any clubs to wait till the third for their starting qb. Barkley is injured not broken, he goes before we pick in a trade down scenario.
I'd much rather find one dominant player. We have plenty of "second tier" players already.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
We wouldn't drop 6 spots. Right now I believe we are at 10. The lowest we will drop is to 13. To think we will fare any better by moving up or down a few spots is not sound thinking. Heck, I think we proved that with Ryan Leaf, didn't we? He went from a consensus "can't miss" coin toss between him and Manning at 1 and 2, to the Chargers, to jail. I honestly believe we will get one of the top 3 OTs at 13, if that's where we draft. If not, then we're still looking at either an OLB, G, or CB. There's always the possibility of trading back if the OT we want isn't there, and taking say the kid from Virginia later and picking up a extra pick or two as well.

The reality is draft is a crap shoot no matter how well you prepare for it. In most years half the 1st round selections are either outright busts or significantly outplayed by prospects drafted later, or not even drafted at all. Injuries take their toll as well. I'm hoping for a win against the Raiders, and letting the draft chips fall as they may.
I have never said that a high draft choice means a guaranteed better prospect but it gives you more options. You dont have to reach for a position you need like teams do, it just opens the draft. If your going after a tackle and youre at 13 there is the possibility that you dont get a top 3 tackle but if you are at 6, which is where we have the chance to be at if we lose this week, you have the possibility to get the top tackle, top CB, or whatever you are after and it also gives you the option to trade with someone who is after one of the top players that you arent after. Higher draft pick equals more option and more choices of the guys you are after