Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2017, 10:33 PM

Default Who has stayed, who has left?

Hello everyone,

So I just returned from a 6-month stay in Cabo. I was one of the "January 12 casualties" from the day when Dean announced he was moving the team. I expressed my anger towards Dean, as I'm sure many did that day, and got rewarded with a 6-month vacation for it.

In any case, my stay in Cabo has given me the opportunity to do a lot of thinking. At first, I was not sure if I was going to be able to keep supporting the team in LA or not. My pondering the subject has led me to this conclusion: I have loved and supported the Chargers for over nearly 30 years. I have bled blue and gold during that time and have stuck with the team through thick and thin. The Chargers are a part of me, and while I am devastated that they are no longer representing our beloved city, it is not the Chargers who turned their backs on us. It was one guy. Dean Spanos is just the owner, and a subpar one at that. One day, he will be gone, but the Chargers will live on. It is the Chargers that I love and support every Sunday, not Dean Spanos. Had it been up to the players, I am sure that the majority of them would have elected to stay here, But the choice was not up to them. They had zero say in the matter. Therefore, I cannot in good conscience turn my back on the team and players that I have spent the majority of my life rooting for, simply because of the despicable and greedy actions of one man. Hence, I remain and will forever remain a Chargers fan, regardless of where they play.

Since I have been gone for 6 months and have not had the opportunity to converse with other members, I just wanted to get a sense for how the rest of the board has handled this subject. Are the majority of fans still here? Have many of them left? Has there been an influx of new folks from LA? What has the reaction been like?

Great to be back with those of you who decided to stay. Cannot wait for the upcoming season!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:57 PM

i grew up in oceanside, been a chargers fan for all of my life. im 30 now. Yes i would love to see them still play in San diego. But they arent. im not going to just stop rooting for a team that i have been rooting for for the past 20 years. They are still my chargers. As are the clippers.

i now live in orange county. which is cool because i can go watch them practice.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:06 AM
¯\_BAG_/¯

I stopped supporting San Diego
Thinking about turning in my padre colors for dodger blue too
That would make it easier for me to be all in with LA
The Dave roberts/andy green botch might have been the last straw for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

penalty for "actual football" sighting
Old 07-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Hall of Famer

I have left.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:50 AM
Hall of Famer

I was a fan of both the Chargers franchise and the city of San Diego. 1/2 of my fandom died but the other half is still alive.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:58 AM
Hall of Famer

I love the land area occupied by SD county. SD City Admin are not on my Christmas list.
Chargers have been my team since '78 and still are.
I miss a few of the old members that have quit posting but look forward to newbies. Moving to the OC/LA area and putting on a competitive show will get some action on the CMB.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:47 AM
LAme

6 month stay in Cabo? Where do I sign up for that?

1. Malik Hooker, S
2. Forrest Lamp, OG
3. Tim Williams, Edge
4. Jake Butt, TE
5. Desmond King, CB/S
6. Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, NT
Old 07-17-2017, 02:16 AM
Rookie

People who want to leave, you can't keep them
Cheap Soccer Jerseys

Last edited by Jonese82; 08-23-2017 at 12:54 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Mixed feelings definitely. It's still hard for me to reconcile being a Charger fan with being a San Diegan. It's a definite conflict of interest. As others members mentioned, the team is identified as"the Chargers". I still have kept a Charger chair and have SD Charger attire pre-move.

Do I still have hard feelings about the move? Those feelings of anger are now gone yet my fan dome is much different now. Still on this website where I initially posted frustrations of losing the team...to dealing with the loss of an NFL team...to eventually talking draft and yes Charger football.

As of this moment, yes I'm still invested in the team due to my attachment to the players. Will I remain a fan once Rivers and Gates retires? Maybe. Maybe not. Am I a big enough fan to invest in season tickets and make the drive up north? Even though I reside in Murrieta I don't think I'll ever be that financially committed. It will be hard to not see them if they were to win it all.

I'm intrigued short term of the prospects of this team. They may follow suit like other NFL franchises that have moved by eventually competing or winning a Super Bowl. It's a weird trend. I'm also intrigued of the long term prospects of this team if they remain what they are: mediocre.

Would the Spanos family eventually want to cash in by selling the team for big $$$ only to have new ownership play hero by returning home to SD? I may be well into my retirement years when that occurs. It's a long shot but something I can still hold onto.

Last edited by ltinabottle; 07-19-2017 at 06:24 AM..