Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2019, 11:03 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
We will certainly find out next year.... the schedule looks very difficult.... but Lynn has really impressed and TT has drafted very well over the last 4 seasons. There is a ton of talent... if we have another great draft and add a key FA or two.... then the D could be elite. We don't need any help at the skill positions on O.... we just need help along the OL. The blitzes killed us late in the season. If Lynn can get this team to 10+ wins with that schedule... then I will be completely sold on him. But if we don't get a 1st round bye.... then I don't hold much hope for a ring.
The keys for your 8-8ish, or my 11-5 ish are......drum roll please.......

1. What do we do with our Chargers free agents, and was it right to keep each one or let each one go. On a case by case basis.

2. What outside free agents do we add. They have to be improvements.

3. How did we draft ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
The keys for your 8-8ish, or my 11-5 ish are......drum roll please.......

1. What do we do with our Chargers free agents, and was it right to keep each one or let each one go. On a case by case basis.

2. What outside free agents do we add. They have to be improvements.

3. How did we draft ?

8-8 sounds right. could be 7-9
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
It's all high falutin' fun when we win though.

You need to learn how to lose, how to cope with a loss, and how to remain a fan through it. Gloom and doom after one loss in a 18 game season for us is petty. Enjoy the 13 games we did win this year, when 8-8 records were forecasted before that. Let 13 wins encourage you.

We think our team is special. Special teams come back mad after a loss like that to end the year. Ingram is furious. Says we didn't win **** and camps/workouts start in March. OTA's etc to follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
It's all high falutin' fun when we win though.

You need to learn how to lose, how to cope with a loss, and how to remain a fan through it. Gloom and doom after one loss in a 18 game season for us is petty. Enjoy the 13 games we did win this year, when 8-8 records were forecasted before that. Let 13 wins encourage you.

We think our team is special. Special teams come back mad after a loss like that to end the year. Ingram is furious. Says we didn't win **** and camps/workouts start in March. OTA's etc to follow.

I'll try.

remeber 2005?

Last edited by The Moekid; 01-17-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 01:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
If Peyton couldn’t get it done when the 8-8 Chargers hosted Indy in 2008 no one can. He’ll, he got the OT rule changed after that game
The year before he and Brady lobbied to get the rule changed so visiting teams could bring their own footballs to the game. Makes one wonder.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:07 PM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Nah.... 8-8 or 7-9 is right if Lynn ends up being Norv or McCoy. Others have brought it up.... and I agree.... overall, this is a very young team. Wins on the road against Seattle, Pitt, KC and Baltimore (playoffs) showed me a ton of growth. If we make the right moves in the offseason and get a bit luckier in the health department in 2019.... then 10+ seems likely to me. But I will repeat it yet again.... w/o a 1st round bye, I hold very little hope for a ring.

BTW... the freak is absolutely correct. I am 43 years old and have suffered through so many heartbreaking losses. Sports is not fair... if they were, then we would have spanked the Patriots and dominated our way to the Super Bowl. If my happiness w/ respect to my teams (Padres/Chargers) necessitate that the season results in a ring.... then I am going to be one miserable person. Rule of Independent Events states that I am not any more likely to witness a Championship for my team based on past futility.... the sooner I accept a real likelihood that I will die w/o ever feeling what it is like to win the big one the better off I am. I am a real fan.... I continue to root for my teams even though they have never given me a valid reason to do so. It is easy to be a Patriot Fan.... I hold them in very little regard... especially when they talk trash. You never heard of Patriot Fan before Brady and Bellicheat. 5 rings... countless CCGs and Division Winners... all in the last two decades? Naw... come talk to me after your team has failed for an extended time instead of succeeded.... show me that you are still willing to watch and represent... then you will have my respect.

Check the sig.

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts
Old 01-17-2019, 05:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Nah.... 8-8 or 7-9 is right if Lynn ends up being Norv or McCoy. Others have brought it up.... and I agree.... overall, this is a very young team. Wins on the road against Seattle, Pitt, KC and Baltimore (playoffs) showed me a ton of growth. If we make the right moves in the offseason and get a bit luckier in the health department in 2019.... then 10+ seems likely to me. But I will repeat it yet again.... w/o a 1st round bye, I hold very little hope for a ring.

BTW... the freak is absolutely correct. I am 43 years old and have suffered through so many heartbreaking losses. Sports is not fair... if they were, then we would have spanked the Patriots and dominated our way to the Super Bowl. If my happiness w/ respect to my teams (Padres/Chargers) necessitate that the season results in a ring.... then I am going to be one miserable person. Rule of Independent Events states that I am not any more likely to witness a Championship for my team based on past futility.... the sooner I accept a real likelihood that I will die w/o ever feeling what it is like to win the big one the better off I am. I am a real fan.... I continue to root for my teams even though they have never given me a valid reason to do so. It is easy to be a Patriot Fan.... I hold them in very little regard... especially when they talk trash. You never heard of Patriot Fan before Brady and Bellicheat. 5 rings... countless CCGs and Division Winners... all in the last two decades? Naw... come talk to me after your team has failed for an extended time instead of succeeded.... show me that you are still willing to watch and represent... then you will have my respect.

Check the sig.
I am realistic, I know the math, that every team has only a 3% chance of winning the SuperBowl 32 / 31, which means 97% chance you are not going to win it. I get so invested because at 46 and having been a fan since 1979 it has been a long road and knowing that in 1994 they made it when they had better teams in the 80's & 00's hurts. NFL is not best out of 7 like all the other major sports, MLB, NHL, NBA, if it were I feel confident they would have won in 06 at least if not also in 09 and 82 and 78 if not more. This is why there are dynasty's in other sports and not so much the NFL any more with the Salary Cap (other than the Cheatriots when I feel the cheating has taken them a long way to their dynasty).

I have seen my favorite MLB team win it all (W. Sox) and I haven't really been invested in MLB since I've seen that in 05. I've seen my favorite NBA team win it all (Celtics) a few times. I've seen my favorite NCAA CBB team win it (Duke) 5 times once in person. But I have yet to see my favorite team (tied with Duke as I am a Krzyzewski) win it and I would be more than happy to trade a few of the NBA Bball championships for one Charger championship.

I really thought this could of been the year as we were competitive in every game yet the Pats were humiliated in 3 vs. Jax, Lions, and Titans, we weren't until Sunday.

As much as we blame the D the Pats scored 43 on K.C, and K.C. scored 40, wish we shredded them and won 42-41 sigh.

Last edited by ChargingBolts; 01-17-2019 at 05:41 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

I posted this in the other thread but there's optimism for next season. We actually have the third rank DVOA on offense and the 8th rank on defense (ending the season).

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Sidenote: If you go by DVOA weighted statistic for special team, we actually moved up to 17th overall. I suspect once the kicker stabilized with Badgley, this is why we moved up so much. Pretty average but far better than being 31st last year.

We need a few more pieces, health and luck, and we can definitely continue to improve on this year. Obviously one of the biggest variable is Rivers and his age.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 01-18-2019, 04:42 AM
Power of 51

Quote:

Check the sig.
It always gets down to that, huh ?

Eh ?

Sacre Bleu ?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:00 AM
glutton for punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargingBolts View Post
I am realistic, I know the math, that every team has only a 3% chance of winning the SuperBowl 32 / 31, which means 97% chance you are not going to win it. I get so invested because at 46 and having been a fan since 1979 it has been a long road and knowing that in 1994 they made it when they had better teams in the 80's & 00's hurts. NFL is not best out of 7 like all the other major sports, MLB, NHL, NBA, if it were I feel confident they would have won in 06 at least if not also in 09 and 82 and 78 if not more. This is why there are dynasty's in other sports and not so much the NFL any more with the Salary Cap (other than the Cheatriots when I feel the cheating has taken them a long way to their dynasty).

I have seen my favorite MLB team win it all (W. Sox) and I haven't really been invested in MLB since I've seen that in 05. I've seen my favorite NBA team win it all (Celtics) a few times. I've seen my favorite NCAA CBB team win it (Duke) 5 times once in person. But I have yet to see my favorite team (tied with Duke as I am a Krzyzewski) win it and I would be more than happy to trade a few of the NBA Bball championships for one Charger championship.

I really thought this could of been the year as we were competitive in every game yet the Pats were humiliated in 3 vs. Jax, Lions, and Titans, we weren't until Sunday.

As much as we blame the D the Pats scored 43 on K.C, and K.C. scored 40, wish we shredded them and won 42-41 sigh.

At least you have felt what it is like to have your team win it all. I consider myself absolutely diehard with respect to five teams:

Chargers, Padres, Aztec Football, Aztec Basketball and US MNT (Soccer). What do they have in common? They have never won the big one. 43 years old... 172 combined seasons w/ no championships. Add in 12 World Cups and that is 184.

US MNT is probably the least likely to win it all (World Cup).... The fact that it is only played every four years makes it worse. But it still bothers the heck out of me because the US should be better than they are... IMO, the US should just go all USSR and start identifying soccer talent at 8 years old and pay their families good money to send them to a series of Soccer Academies.

Aztec Football has essentially no chance either because they are not in a power-5 conference. The basketball team was on the cusp of being Cinderella under Coach Fisher... but alas, it looks like the rise of that team already reached it's high water mark... the future no longer looks very bright.

MLB is not a fair league because they do not have a salary cap. The Padres will always be at a severe disadvantage. Still, there is a slight possibility that the rebuild will give us a window in the next 5 years. That being said, I still think that in the end.... the owners will not pony up to get them over the top.

That leaves me with the Chargers.... 3% chance every year? Not as simple as that... IMO, we had a far larger chance than that this year but epic failed again when up against Bellicheat and Brady. I think we will have an even better chance to win it next year. But even if I were to set it at a lofty 9%... the odds still don't look all that great. You have to get into the tournament as much as possible. That is how you end up finally winning one.... but getting the 1st round bye means a ton. Patriots are now 20-3 at home in the playoffs.... but only 3-4 on the road. That means that 77% of their playoff games have been at home... I wonder how many of those came after a bye too. It is pretty clear that while the Patriots are a fantastic franchise.... they wouldn't even have close to this amount of success if they played in the AFC West or North. They have been getting fat off the Dolphins, Jets and Bills for years.... This gets them a #1 or #2 seed... and week of extra rest and prep and then a tired team traveling to a tough road venue. Chargers gotta get that #1 or #2 seed next year because we are right in the middle of our window.... gotta get it done now!

glutton for punishment.... glutton4Bolts