Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
I just meant that he is an attractive tier 2 target that isn’t someone who will break the bank like a Earl Thomas or Landon Collins. We’ll see, all I know is Addae isn’t cutting it back there.
Yeah, Addae was never a FS. He never will be. The good news is that there are some good FS's set to hit the market this FA. Does the sheer number of safeties available drive the price down...? I sure hope so. IMO, Thomas, Collins, and Amos are all tier 1 safeties. Within the next 2 years, Amos may be better than them all. Guess who has as many interceptions as both Thomas and Amos, combined, over the last 3 years...?

The safety market was ripe last year. The fact that we rolled with Addae this year makes me wonder, "what if?". The safety market will be ripe again this year... If we can get a good one on the cheap... one more need we wouldn't have to draft. One other need we could address in the draft.

The other PON that may be ripe in FA is DT...
Old 01-21-2019, 09:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Be sure to take a look at UVA safety Juan Thornhill... two good years back to back... 10 interceptions and 19 pass break ups... real solid player.

I say we make an honest attempt to re-sign Verrett... spend our FA dollars on a dlineman or OT....

The star on my bag signifies a World Championship... it's coming boys! It's coming!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 AM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniard View Post
Be sure to take a look at UVA safety Juan Thornhill... two good years back to back... 10 interceptions and 19 pass break ups... real solid player.

I say we make an honest attempt to re-sign Verrett... spend our FA dollars on a dlineman or OT....
Spanny…. am more a fan of chasing players who I think are "Chargers," and that are good value and good players, i.e. I like Eric Reid @safety in addition to drafting someone @FS, and....

your boy Quinton Spain might be on the market as well.... an OG ??

is there anyone you like in particular as a FA OT ??

and are you after a 3T or 1T in FA ??
Old 01-22-2019, 07:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
Spanny…. am more a fan of chasing players who I think are "Chargers," and that are good value and good players, i.e. I like Eric Reid @safety in addition to drafting someone @FS, and....

your boy Quinton Spain might be on the market as well.... an OG ??

is there anyone you like in particular as a FA OT ??

and are you after a 3T or 1T in FA ??
Do you not feel as Thornhill is a good player? Or are you saying the value isn't there? A round 2 (where we will be picking) would be great value... IMO.

I like Reid too, but I think he's going to want a lot of money, and (don't want to get the conversation down this path but...) I honestly think it's only a matter of time before the NFL finds something to outs him.

Yeah my boy Spain... UDFA... took over the starting guard spot... and (although I haven't actually focused on his play) the Titans OL was pretty solid this year.... well worth looking into, and then in a couple of years we circle towards Bentley Spain and the Spanish Reconquista is complete!

Free agent OTs? Well, all I know are the big names, I don't have info on their rankings and obviously I can't see them all play so I don't really have an (informed) opinion. A name that did jump out is Jawuan James, right tackle for the Dolphins. From what i've read he's pretty high up on rankings? Maybe he was friends with Pouncey? Who knows...

Our DT needs to be able to play 3T or 1T.... I don't know why people get so caught up in that, (correct me if i'm wrong, but we alternate quite frequently as far as where we line our DTs up... i'm guessing the majority of the teams do.

DT is the area in free agency where I would throw money at. Bring me any of the top names: Grady Jarrett, Sheldon Richardson, David Irving, Michael Pierce.... I think it's important we re-sign Philon too....

The star on my bag signifies a World Championship... it's coming boys! It's coming!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Do you not feel as Thornhill is a good player? Or are you saying the value isn't there? A round 2 (where we will be picking) would be great value... IMO.

I like Reid too, but I think he's going to want a lot of money, and (don't want to get the conversation down this path but...) I honestly think it's only a matter of time before the NFL finds something to outs him.

Yeah my boy Spain... UDFA... took over the starting guard spot... and (although I haven't actually focused on his play) the Titans OL was pretty solid this year.... well worth looking into, and then in a couple of years we circle towards Bentley Spain and the Spanish Reconquista is complete!

Our DT needs to be able to play 3T or 1T.... I don't know why people get so caught up in that, (correct me if i'm wrong, but we alternate quite frequently as far as where we line our DTs up... i'm guessing the majority of the teams do.
think Thornhill is right in there w/the other late first/second rounders.... Deionte Thompson and Nasir Adderly, both of whom I prefer over Thornhill, and.... 'tis a shame if the Chargers/NFL has it out for Reid, as he's a former Pro Bowler who can play three spots in the second level/defensive secondary.... we could use him, 'specially if we are unable/decide not to match for Adrian Phillips.... (after last year and re: your commentary and the such, find it hard to believe that Reid will outpace the market this offseason).

and do think Spain is worth taking a look at, as guessing team Tommy John will feel obligated to giving Quessenberry another year w/things, albeit w/him and Toner, would feel much better 'bout a better option there on the IOL.

and Derrick Brown was a combo one and three tech who returned to school.... not married to any of the other DTs in the draft atm.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/1/21/...kins-secondary
Old 01-22-2019, 07:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:

YES on the Thorn. PnP.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:57 PM
& ramblin' man

think Isaiah Johnson just bumped Amani Oruwariye out of my first round cluster.... think if we want him, it'd be @28....

was hoping he'd be a FS candidate, but sounds like he's a Gus Bradley outside/boundary corner candidate instead.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
think Thornhill is right in there w/the other late first/second rounders.... Deionte Thompson and Nasir Adderly, both of whom I prefer over Thornhill, and.... 'tis a shame if the Chargers/NFL has it out for Reid, as he's a former Pro Bowler who can play three spots in the second level/defensive secondary.... we could use him, 'specially if we are unable/decide not to match for Adrian Phillips.... (after last year and re: your commentary and the such, find it hard to believe that Reid will outpace the market this offseason).

and do think Spain is worth taking a look at, as guessing team Tommy John will feel obligated to giving Quessenberry another year w/things, albeit w/him and Toner, would feel much better 'bout a better option there on the IOL.

and Derrick Brown was a combo one and three tech who returned to school.... not married to any of the other DTs in the draft atm.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/1/21/...kins-secondary
DO NOT WANT Deionte Thompson... did you not see how he performed against top tier teams this past year? He feasts on lesser teams because his defensive mates around him. No thank you.

Totally good with Adderly and would also throw the following names into the mix as safeties that intrigue me: Darius West out of Kentucky; Marquise Blair out of Utah; and Saquan Hampton out of Rutgers. The first two are at the Senior Bowl so we'll see how they perform there. They should all be available after the 3rd round (unless of course they perform like studs the next couple of months).

As much as I would love a player named Spain on the team.... I think the coaching staff is going to stick with Feeney (he's a 2 year starter, no reason to not give him a chance to improve) and Lamp (the team was very high on him). If the Chargers start looking at OGs... then it just means that they don't believe Lamp will ever get healthy, which will be sad. If we're going Oline this year it will be for lower round picks or a OT in free agency; in my humble opinion.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
think Isaiah Johnson just bumped Amani Oruwariye out of my first round cluster.... think if we want him, it'd be @28....

was hoping he'd be a FS candidate, but sounds like he's a Gus Bradley outside/boundary corner candidate instead.
Isaiah Johnson? The free safety of Tampa Bay?

Old 01-23-2019, 08:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Isaiah Johnson? The free safety of Tampa Bay?
lol...beachcomber wants everybody...