Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2019, 07:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
It is now very clear what went wrong. The issue was a breakdown in communication amongst the all star officiating crew.

Calavetto, the official in the foreground, actually had a poor angle. He was closest, but the receiver was between him and the defender as the pass came in. He called it a bang bang play.

He should have consulted with the other official. His angle allowed him to see it all. This would be the helmet to helmet, not playing the football, and way, way early hit.

Yet, Calvetto insisted that his flawed judgement call prevail, with no discussion whatsoever.

If this had occurred in the middle of the field, it would have been obvious, blatant targeting !!

Actually, the entire crew should have conferenced--the foul could have easily been seen by officials on the other side of the field (and the beer vendor in the upper deck), but apparently not by the official who was closest.

It was the arrogance and ego of an individual official on the all star crew.

It should have been the cooperation of a crew that had worked well together all season.

NO MORE ALL STAR CREWS.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
It is now very clear what went wrong. The issue was a breakdown in communication amongst the all star officiating crew.

Calavetto, the official in the foreground, actually had a poor angle. He was closest, but the receiver was between him and the defender as the pass came in. He called it a bang bang play.

He should have consulted with the other official. His angle allowed him to see it all. This would be the helmet to helmet, not playing the football, and way, way early hit.

Yet, Calvetto insisted that his flawed judgement call prevail, with no discussion whatsoever.

If this had occurred in the middle of the field, it would have been obvious, blatant targeting !!

Actually, the entire crew should have conferenced--the foul could have easily been seen by officials on the other side of the field (and the beer vendor in the upper deck), but apparently not by the official who was closest.

It was the arrogance and ego of an individual official on the all star crew.

It should have been the cooperation of a crew that had worked well together all season.

NO MORE ALL STAR CREWS.
I bet the refs had the airplane's engines running before they sprinted out of that stadium........................................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

"Not playing the ball" isn't a violation in the NFL. There is no such obligation.

Targeting would be curious. I believe in the still frames the defenders hands make contact first.

It was PI. Tougher call (imo) than the HD slo-mo (and angles) make it seem, but by NFL standards an "easy" call. Missed.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I bet the refs had the airplane's engines running before they sprinted out of that stadium........................................
I am reminded of the worst aviation disaster in history.

Two 747's, loaded with fuel and passengers, collided on the runway at Tenerife, Canary Islands.

Everyone was killed.

It was caused by the arrogance of one of the pilots, who refused to listen to his co pilot.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud View Post
"Not playing the ball" isn't a violation in the NFL. There is no such obligation. Michael Davis approves !

Targeting would be curious. I believe in the still frames the defenders hands make contact first. I used the term in the rules "targeting" loosely, to illustrate how bad the call was.

It was PI. Tougher call (imo) than the HD slo-mo (and angles) make it seem, but by NFL standards an "easy" call. Missed.
The all star crew needed to chat on this one.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:33 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
....I challenge you and your brethren to give all of us good citizens of the CMB a similar example of such an impactful call/non-call at that level of game and at that time of the game.
I'm not one of the brethren on this one, but I must use this opportunity to point out again that the Patriots were the beneficiaries of a terrible call in the 4th Quarter, that turned a punt situation into a first down and extended their critical drive. The roughing-the-passer penalty, in particular.

(Strangely, the Patriots drive stalled out three separate times after failed third downs -- but fortunately they were bailed out after all of them).
Old 01-24-2019, 02:09 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
I'm not one of the brethren on this one, but I must use this opportunity to point out again that the Patriots were the beneficiaries of a terrible call in the 4th Quarter, that turned a punt situation into a first down and extended their critical drive. The roughing-the-passer penalty, in particular.

(Strangely, the Patriots drive stalled out three separate times after failed third downs -- but fortunately they were bailed out after all of them).
They were trailing due to the worst (non) call of the entire game, the pick route on Watkins' TD.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
They were trailing due to the worst (non) call of the entire game, the pick route on Watkins' TD.
I'm still of the opinion belli would have let them score either way if he thought he was running out of time to have Brady and Co. Come back. Seen it too many times.

But ya that was a bad non call.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:33 PM
First member of the board

Quote:
Come on - every team uses pick routes, every game and they are seldom ever called.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Hall of Famer

https://twitter.com/search?q=bejamin...c=typd&lang=en

Ben Watson tweet to Roger Goodell