Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents/Trade Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Thanks for everything 85!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
that's a laugh, and.... not sure what your definition of "pinch" is, and.... think all of these guys are well fed, have a nice place to sleep/call home, and have a feline or two in their mix, if and when so desired....

far as the political white wash.... just not on that page, and don't think you or anyone else that have suffered at the hands of our police excess would feel otherwise.... in fact am quite sure they are eternally grateful to Kaepernick and to anyone else that might take a knee on their behalf.
You have your beliefs, but i'm stating mine as actual facts from statistics. Viewership and attendance have plummeted due to that. Most fans don't want to be a part of their political message. All they want to do is watch their teams play football. You know, what they get paid to do.

The NFL had also compromised with players to work together during offseason, out of games, to bring social awareness, not use it as a platform during games.

I'm also speaking on a business perspective. Considering Jaylen Watkins is being considered before Reid with the 49ers among other teams speak volume.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
After what happened last year, this is no longer a valid excuse. Not to mention that we already have guys on our team who protested (ie. Okung).
I remember Okung doing that in the beginning of the a season and it was disappointing. But I don't think he did it every game from what i've seen. As a matter of fact, I didn't see much of that in Chargers games going forward. I think there were a select few, but I don't remember seeing much of it towards mid season.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Dodger View Post
You have your beliefs, but i'm stating mine as actual facts from statistics. Viewership and attendance have plummeted due to that. Most fans don't want to be a part of their political message. All they want to do is watch their teams play football. You know, what they get paid to do.

The NFL had also compromised with players to work together during offseason, out of games, to bring social awareness, not use it as a platform during games.

I'm also speaking on a business perspective. Considering Jaylen Watkins is being considered before Reid with the 49ers among other teams speak volume.
While I agree with some of what you say there are other factors.
Tickets are out of the reach of a typical American fan and only going up.
TV viewing is on decline but what we don't have the #'s for are the online streaming services, direct game purchases, etc. The younger generations have different methods of viewing than watching the game on CBS.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:

Viewership is down because the old rating system is archaic. You have to take into account streaming and other methods of viewership. But let's pretend that viewership is key to all of this. Then why have the ratings for the NBA gone up? A sport that is open about making political statements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:50 PM

Good article about Eric Reid:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/21/er...lin-kaepernick

Quote:
Reid, on the other hand, is worth the disruption—especially considering that, as a safety, he comes with only a snippet of the attention a quarterback (Kaepernick) would draw. Signing Reid would bring a rush of media and backlash from some sectors for maybe two or three days. Few, if any, non-sports entities would cover the signing. Reid would draw attention if he continues to protest in 2018, but no more than he did in 2017 when the Niners, from afar, appeared to survive just fine.

Reid, unlike Kaepernick, does not have fundamental flaws in his game. He’s experienced as a free safety, box safety, matchup safety, slot corner and linebacker. He’s a hitter who can also cover, both man and zone. He’s shown instinctive playmaking prowess. In no sane world is Eric Reid a backup. The Niners, who run a classic Cover-3 based scheme and have affordable depth at safety and linebacker, don’t have a significant need for him, but plenty of other teams do.

Versatile safeties like Reid are more important now than ever, which is why this year’s soft free-agent market at the position is so perplexing. More and more teams are putting three safeties on the field, adding flexibility to their nickel and dime sub-packages and gaining answers for offenses that run the ball out of three-receiver sets. Plus, a dynamic safety can really impact the way you use the rest of your secondary, which is why, come January, we could look back on Pittsburgh’s Burnett signing as one of the bigger moves of 2018.

Reid is a younger, better Burnett. If he is getting punished by ownership for his protest, the team that musters the humility, courage and common sense to sign him anyway will get a tremendous player.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
We have
Jahleel Addae.
Adrian Phillips.
Rayshawn Jenkins.

We need a reasonably priced Single-High with better tackling ability than Tre Boston.

Alternatively, we could use a Combo Safety with better coverage skills and range than Eric Reid.

Maybe that is his brother Justin Reid at 48.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by like54ninjas View Post
While I agree with some of what you say there are other factors.
Tickets are out of the reach of a typical American fan and only going up.
TV viewing is on decline but what we don't have the #'s for are the online streaming services, direct game purchases, etc. The younger generations have different methods of viewing than watching the game on CBS.
Yeah, I don't think they count viewership in terms of other methods like P2P, etc, but the stats do show it had gone down.

The ticket prices statement is true; however, I don't think it holds much weight in why the ratings plummeted.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Viewership is down because the old rating system is archaic. You have to take into account streaming and other methods of viewership. But let's pretend that viewership is key to all of this. Then why have the ratings for the NBA gone up? A sport that is open about making political statements.
I can't think of anything significant as the constant kneeling in the NFL that occurred in the NFL.

I'll just agree to disagree. Reid is a fine player. Actually I think he's a really good player. But teams not jumping on him right now does speak volume. Owners know something we don't know. Who knows, maybe it's an underlying injury. But the kneeling every game could also be the big reason why.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Hall of Famer

There is speculation regarding the drafting of Justin Reid, just from the fact his brother has been outspoken.

Questions are asked, like "...has any of this thinking rubbed off? "

Yes it is an issue.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I can't think of anything significant as the constant kneeling in the NFL that occurred in the NFL.

I'll just agree to disagree. Reid is a fine player. Actually I think he's a really good player. But teams not jumping on him right now does speak volume. Owners know something we don't know. Who knows, maybe it's an underlying injury. But the kneeling every game could also be the big reason why.
It's actually hypocritical that an owner would take a risk on Michael Bennett (who protesting by sitting during the national anthem) and not take a risk on Eric Reid for kneeling. Especially when you take into consideration the military background and significance of why he was kneeling.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ve...a-knee-anthem/
Quote:
We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammate. Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother’s grave, you know, to show respect. When we’re on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security.

Unleash the Rivers!!!