Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents/Trade Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2018, 07:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltup90 View Post
This move tells me our week one starting S will be drafted in rounds 1 or 2.
Very likely.......

Old 03-30-2018, 07:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Welcome to the Bolts, DB Jaylen Watkins!

Looks like a bit of insurance in case Boston's price is too high for the Bolts:

Chargers Agree to Terms with Versatile DB Jaylen Watkins

The Los Angeles Chargers added another playmaker to an already formidable secondary on Friday as they agreed to terms with DB Jaylen Watkins on a one-year deal.

A fourth-round selection (101st overall) of the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2014 NFL Draft, Watkins boasts impressive versatility to play either safety or cornerback. The 5-11, 194-pounder has appeared in 36 games with five starts over four seasons, totaling 56 tackles with eight passes defensed. He's also been a solid contributor on special teams over the years.

After seeing sporadic playing time his first two seasons, including a short stint on the Buffalo Bills’ practice squad before being re-signed by the Eagles, Watkins became a valuable member of Philadelphia’s defense the last two seasons.

Since 2016, he’s appeared in 28 games with five starts while totaling 49 tackles and three passes defensed. Watkins suited up in all three postseason games for the Eagles last season, including their 41-33 victory over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LII.

http://www.chargers.com/news/2018/03...jaylen-watkins
3. Charles Omenihu, DT, Texas
4. T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Old 03-30-2018, 08:05 PM
I be humbolt

Meh. He will fight Rayshawn Jenkins and AJ Hendy for a roster spot. He won't replace Boston.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:13 PM
Thanks for everything 85!

This guy blown coverage left and right from what i've seen towards the playoffs. Not a big fan.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Nothing about him screams starter at all. I'm guessing Special Teams is why he was signed.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:26 PM
I be humbolt

There is a big hole in the roster at safety. Nobody is going to pay Boston what he was seeking. Maybe he ends up back as a Charger, where he has had success. Alternatively, it could be Telesco is targeting a player in the draft. Telesco by reputation does not value the safety position.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
There is a big hole in the roster at safety. Nobody is going to pay Boston what he was seeking. Maybe he ends up back as a Charger, where he has had success. Alternatively, it could be Telesco is targeting a player in the draft. Telesco by reputation does not value the safety position.
We'll see. I choose to believe Telesco would have drafted Jamal Adams last year had he been available & I think he will draft Derwin James if he somehow falls to 17.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:43 PM
Thanks for everything 85!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
We'll see. I choose to believe Telesco would have drafted Jamal Adams last year had he been available & I think he will draft Derwin James if he somehow falls to 17.
Which probably won't happen as there are teams before Chargers hurting for Safeties in TB, Skins, Cards and possibly GB.

The two top safeties in this draft are James and Fitzpatrick which I feel will be long gone by 17.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Watkins is a ST ace and possibly a marginal Safety.

What is interesting is that he is best at Slot, and we have a glut there...King or Verrett to Safety ?

One of the reasons there is no market for Safeties such as Tre is that there is a lot of speed at Safety in this draft.

Now LAC have flexibility, not needing to sign Tre or draft a Safety, so when/if PON meets BPA at Safety, we will make our selection.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:36 AM
Veteran

https://www.google.com/amp/s/article...lose_jayle.amp

Watkins returned to Philly, and he converted from corner to safety in 2016. That year, he played a career-high 38 percent of the Eagles' defensive snaps, and his versatility later proved valuable for Philadelphia early in the 2017 Super Bowl campaign.

Watkins switched back from safety to cornerback after Ronald Darby suffered a dislocated ankle in Week 1.

So while Watkins was a defensive role player and special teams contributor during his time with the Eagles, he left a mark in Philadelphia. And moving forward, the team needs to sort out its personnel in the secondary while Watkins heads to the West Coast. -