Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
you say football, not politics. - That's exactly my complaint. They should keep their politics off the field. I tune in to watch an exciting game and I get politics.

If the NFL doesn't square away this problem I'll be strictly watching college football.
Midtown Bolt was talking about this forum & you bringing your politics here.

If you want to watch college football in protest, i'm fine with that. Notify us that you are leaving this forum & we'll wish you a fond adieu.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
He sat for the first few times, then made a conscious decision to kneel after talking to some members of the military and seeking their input.

I personally prefer that players’ protests be carried out in a different manner, but I don’t see this problem cracking the top 100 list of problems this country is going through in these very turbulent times.
I agree.

This controversy ranks right up there with transgender bathrooms.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Hall of Famer

As much as I want to stand for the flag, I understand we are given the freedom to express our grievances. It's sixties all over again when groups of people are fighting to let the world know their concerns. School safety...kids are tired of the politics and public shootings. They want solutions and are willing to go any length necessary to voice their needs because the status quo can't help them is one example similar to the players expression of race and police brutality.

Only in America you can have the patriotism and freedom to express concerns. I understand the NFL decision it's their workplace if they would of sought out players input it may have taken way longer and social media would of had a field day. It is what it is.

As others mentioned, we also have a President that loves to stir the pot vs listening to peoples concerns. The incompetence in handling the Helenski summit meeting with Russia brings America's pride to a new low leaving his staff scrambling to pick up the pieces. Oh by the way I screwed up we're meeting with him again in the fall? It's scary times we're living in when our President can't trust and include the very people that serve him as they put their lives on the line. Scary times indeed.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
you say football, not politics. - That's exactly my complaint. They should keep their politics off the field. I tune in to watch an exciting game and I get politics.

If the NFL doesn't square away this problem I'll be strictly watching college football.
I agree with you and don't think we're alone on this, NFL TV viewers the last 2 yrs have declined, I'd guess a large chunk of that is over the kneeling of the flag/national anthem situation.

Some folks may choose not to attend games or buy merchandise etc. in protest, also TV viewers = advertising revenue, 'if' folks choose not to tune into NFL games because of this 'situation' it will be felt in the NFL's pocketbook when advertisers cut back or pull out because of lower ratings, the players will feel it too eventually because the NFL's revenue will decline.

I understand why the players are taking a knee, but think it's become about taking a knee vs their 'causes', in other words it's become counter productive and is hurting the game/business that allows them to earn a min rookie wage of over $560k, no other country on earth even comes close to affording them this opportunity and there are about 195 countries on the entire planet, think about that for 1 min.

In Canada the only other country that pays/plays american type football (that I'm aware of) the min salary is about $55k which is less than practice squad players get paid here, which I think is around or over $70k.

I don't think the majority of businesses in the U.S. would allow their employees to protest while on the clock, off the clock is different, I think they should try other avenues such as social media, these guys have followings and can network together to get their msg out and voice their opinions etc.

I do view kneeling as disrespectful to the flag/anthem/country and think these players should be grateful and appreciative for the opportunity they have, it's OK to have an opinion and voice it, but IMO on their own time, not hijacking the NFL's platform/time.

Hopefully they'll get this figured out before the season starts, as it's fast approaching.

Go Chargers!
Old 07-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Hall of Famer

League......Teams......Players.....

That is the pecking order, like it or not. When there is something that is a threat to the League, the League will take serious actions to stop that threat. If the revenue loss becomes substantial from this 'kneeling protest' stuff, the League will put an end to it. Players might scream about their rights, but the League has all the law on their side. Every player contract has a clause about 'actions detrimental to the team' and the ramifications for such actions being fines, suspensions, even permanently banned. (think betting and Rose)

The next CBA is going to be ugly, but the League will get the better deal every time.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:27 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
Forced patriotism is not freedom. It's fascism. NFL owners are billionaires, not millionaires. This thread doesn't belong on this forum. This forum is about Chargers football, not politics. I suspect it will be locked.
Threads that don't belong, and locked up, posted by HOF Chargeroo ??????????

Oh, I laugh. Silly, silly people.

If Roo wants to start a thread on the color of Roger Goodell's underwear (something I am personally researching currently) then that's the way its gonna be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chargerfreak; 07-22-2018 at 05:35 AM..
Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
It's a problem because of two things:
1) Our dear president bringing it up at a rally (when the whole protest thing was already dying out), and therefore reigniting the players' anger. And him doing it again when he dis-invited the Eagles and lied about the players kneeling on the team.

2) The owners not involving the players and the union in the new anthem policy. And hence, doing the same thing as the president: bringing up a topic that had already died out.

Solution: stop bringing it up and let it die out on its own.
I don't agree with number 1. I can see myself agreeing with the solution, if you bribed me.

But number 2 ??? Why on earth would the league "involve" the players and the union while setting their own policy ? Go start the PFL, and make your own policies. Heck, roll around on the ground with puppies on the sidelines. No one is going to watch or pay, but have at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:38 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
League......Teams......Players.....

That is the pecking order, like it or not. When there is something that is a threat to the League, the League will take serious actions to stop that threat. If the revenue loss becomes substantial from this 'kneeling protest' stuff, the League will put an end to it. Players might scream about their rights, but the League has all the law on their side. Every player contract has a clause about 'actions detrimental to the team' and the ramifications for such actions being fines, suspensions, even permanently banned. (think betting and Rose)

The next CBA is going to be ugly, but the League will get the better deal every time.
It's pretty simple folks. Empire..League......Teams.......Players.........

Old 07-22-2018, 07:31 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderblueboy View Post
Notify us that you are leaving this forum & we'll wish you a fond adieu.
Who's we?

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

The players say its about protesting police brutality.

So far this year, in Chicago alone, there have been 242 people shot and killed. 2600 wounded. Out of all those, the police are responsible for 4 shootings.

Where are the players protesting about people brutality? Detroit? Atlanta? Baltimore? Miami? All have similar stats, yet I don't see any players protesting there about people murdering other people over drugs, money, or whatever.

Why the selective outrage over officer involved shootings?

What narrative are we trying to forward?

The players lost the plot a long time ago. They say it's not about disrespecting the flag or the military.

But if I'm protesting the dishwasher, and you think I'm protesting the coffeemaker, whose fault is that? Yours or mine?

This isn't a 1st amendment issue. The Constitution doesn't apply to privately owned business or property. I don't have the right to do anything on your time or property unless you're okay with it and give me permission.

The NFL isn't okay with it.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Closed Thread