Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2018, 10:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Default "Pick-6 Smith" and "Wild Thang" Jones--we're gonna need a better backup...

We all know "Kordell" is going to either get cut or get sent to the taxi squad, so he's out. Just awful. And, after last game, I had hope for Geno. He actually looked pretty good at times. After tonight, nope. It was back to the same old Geno that Jets fans have seen time and time again...he might make 2-3 decent passes, as long as he's not pressured too much--and then, BOOM! He throws a PICK-6! Actually, Geno threw TWO pick-6's vs. the Saints, but one of them got called back due to a penalty. The first one was bad enough. But the second one was plain ugly. Forcing the rock into tight coverage is not a good idea, especially when it's a pass where the route can get jumped, which is what happened.

Sorry, I don't like the idea of going into the season with "Pick-6" Smith as our backup. As long as he's handing off the rock, or maybe just short passes, he might manage an occasional game to a win, with a lot of help. But don't expect him to overcome pressure, pass rush, etc., and still lead us to victory, especially against a good team, in a close game in crunch time. Time to look for another backup. In the meantime, at LEAST give Shimmy some more PT so we can see what the kid's got.
3. Charles Omenihu, DT, Texas
4. T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Last edited by topcat4477; 08-26-2018 at 07:13 AM..
Old 08-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Cardale is gone. Or at least he should be gone.

Geno is staying unless they manage to find a better backup after roster cutdowns that can learn the playbook quickly.

I would have loved to get Teddy Bridgewater in FA, but he wants to be a starter and not a backup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
Cardale is gone. Or at least he should be gone.

Geno is staying unless they manage to find a better backup after roster cutdowns that can learn the playbook quickly.

I would have loved to get Teddy Bridgewater in FA, but he wants to be a starter and not a backup.
I'll tell you what, if I were Lynn and TT, I would have my scouts ALL OVER looking at tape of backups in preseason games to look for some hidden gems...for crying out loud, look at this dude Hill with the Saints...he's their THIRD STRINGER??? If the Saints are dumb enough to send him to the PS, I'd poach him quicker than you can say "Wes Welker!!!"
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP

Old 08-25-2018, 10:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
I'll tell you what, if I were Lynn and TT, I would have my scouts ALL OVER looking at tape of backups in preseason games to look for some hidden gems...for crying out loud, look at this dude Hill with the Saints...he's their THIRD STRINGER??? If the Saints are dumb enough to send him to the PS, I'd poach him quicker than you can say "Wes Welker!!!"
Man, you just dropped Shimmy like a bad habit.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Hill had three fumbles and two interceptions last week. He had a Billy Joe Tolliver game against the Chargers backups. Not sure he would be a great pickup nor do i think the Saints let him go.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrger View Post
Man, you just dropped Shimmy like a bad habit.
No, I'd still like to see Shimmy get some more PT...would it be too much to ask to let the man at LEAST play ONE quarter instead of garbage time with our 3rd stringers? What I'm saying is find out how good Shim is, but also be on the lookout for someone better than Smith & Jones after teams cut down to 53, which actually, shouldn't be too hard...
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP

Old 08-25-2018, 10:49 PM
Blame Butts for me

feel the same Topcat
It’s funny what one ps game will do to me, maybe I’ll feel different in the morning but
It’s downright irresponsible of the coaching staff to go into the season with any of these scrubs as qb2
Both jones and Smith need to go.
I don’t feel confident in either of them (or Shimonek for that matter although he gets a pass as a udfa rookie) to start and win a game in place of 17.
Maybe I’m being too harsh considering the leaky pass blocking they played behind but I’m really hoping we make a trade for a decent number 2.
Or like others have already argued, just throw in Shimonek as a clipboard holder as a cheap understudy that has a chance to develop
At this point I think shimmy gives you just as much chance as either jones or Smith to win anything, basically nada.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ASAP
Old 08-25-2018, 10:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21and500 View Post
feel the same Topcat
Itís funny what one ps game will do to me, maybe Iíll feel different in the morning but
Itís downright irresponsible of the coaching staff to go into the season with any of these scrubs as qb2
Both jones and Smith need to go.
I donít feel confident in either of them (or Shimonek for that matter although he gets a pass as a udfa rookie) to start and win a game in place of 17.
Maybe Iím being too harsh considering the leaky pass blocking they played behind but Iím really hoping we make a trade for a decent number 2.
Or like others have already argued, just throw in Shimonek as a clipboard holder as a cheap understudy that has a chance to develop
At this point I think shimmy gives you just as much chance as either jones or Smith to win anything, basically nada.
I really wonder if Lynn if afraid to give Shimmy more PT, because Shim just MIGHT outperform Smith & Jones...it's like Lynn has his mind made up he's going to doggedly stick with Smith no matter what...and I get real nervous going into the regular season with "Pick-6" as our backup QB...
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP

Old 08-25-2018, 10:59 PM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
I really wonder if Lynn if afraid to give Shimmy more PT, because Shim just MIGHT outperform Smith & Jones...it's like Lynn has his mind made up he's going to doggedly stick with Smith no matter what...and I get real nervous going into the regular season with "Pick-6" as our backup QB...
Genoís propensity for turnovers is literally why I think he should be last qb on depth chart.
With Cardale, we might win if he throws it beyond anyoneís reach or simply takes a sack.
Punt and play defense and we can still win.
But this pick 6 stuff is asking a lot of our defense to overcome

ASAP
Old 08-25-2018, 11:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Great analysis.