Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
at first glance Jones seemed of some intrigue, albeit reading that he likely returns to school and that he's a box safety/big nickel.... seems like he's solid as a player, just not feeling it so much w/him atm.... (on the intangibles side, he does seem more SS than free)

Deionte is in a class by himself, and we would def be the Legion of KaBoom if we paired him w/James.

do think John Spanos is gonna like Chris Johnson, and personally liked Jordan Fuller initially, albeit he seems to be fading from prominence/acclaim of late.

haven't really zeroed in on/taken to any one player quite yet @FS.

do like a coupla few CBs tho, and that might be the better way to go w/our draft capital ??

am intrigued by your Justin Layne, and see a bit of Ahkello Witherspoon 2.0 to him, and still like Amani Oruwariye and Kendall Sheffield for us.

also like Clayton Geathers and Eric Reid in FA for us next offseason.
I would love to sign a savvy veteran FS in FA on a 2-3 year deal and draft a mid-late round guy to groom under him. I like Chris Johnson but there is very limited tape vs any quality competition. His is projection based on traits more than actual tape for me.

Nasir and Montre are my under the radar guys that could be a good fit.

Check out Deion Harris from UND (North Dakota). He plays corner but I think he is also an ideal mid-late guy to develop at FS. His size, length, speed, range, instincts, ballskills would be a true asset.

Last edited by like54ninjas; 12-02-2018 at 02:16 AM..
Old 12-02-2018, 02:28 AM
Hall of Famer

I just watched Brandon Jones tape (vs. USC). Jones was most impressive when closer to LOS. He had a TD saving run stop on 4th and 2. But... he did miss tackles on USC's first two TD's early in the game. He also got burned deep twice (41 and 50+). I'll have a look at the other game sometime soon. Thanks for the links.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the names, guys. I'll try to find some [insert name] here vs... tape. I do miss DraftBreakdown...
Old 12-02-2018, 02:38 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
I just watched Brandon Jones tape (vs. USC). Jones was most impressive when closer to LOS. He had a TD saving run stop on 4th and 2. But... he did miss tackles on USC's first two TD's early in the game. He also got burned deep twice (41 and 50+). I'll have a look at the other game sometime soon. Thanks for the links.
You'll see Jones, a young, ascending player, defense passes and show range + tackling ability. I like him over all others at late round 2.

I would not be adverse to trading up for Deionte Thompson, as a final piece, key ingredient to unlock Derwin.

The "savvy veteran" is Jaylen Watkins.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:08 AM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by like54ninjas View Post
Check out Deion Harris from UND (North Dakota). He plays corner but I think he is also an ideal mid-late guy to develop at FS. His size, length, speed, range, instincts, ballskills would be a true asset.
would still lean toward Justin Layne as a development prospect, as was an Ahkello Witherspoon supporter in that draft, and.... still see/surmise that Chris Johnson is someone I'm not takin' off the table 'til am sure and gone done convinced that he's not all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post
I would not be adverse to trading up for Deionte Thompson, as a final piece, key ingredient to unlock Derwin.

The "savvy veteran" is Jaylen Watkins.
if Watkins is our guy going forward, think we've got problems/issues.... ??

and have given some thought to trading up for Thompson, and as the first thought is that trading up is a no no, and.... the second thought is not to take the possibility/option off the table so quick, and that it worked for Pitt to go Polamalu on us, and as.... the first rule of the draft is not to bust.

would also not hesitate to add that my coupla few other rules of the draft are to draft linemen oft and early, not to trade up, and avoid injury/durability concerns (Bryce Love ?)

think Thompson checks the thou shalt not bust box, as he sure appears to be a transcendental talent, and.... then the question becomes: is he worth it ?? if you moved up ten spots in round one, are you willing to part w/your second rounder if not a bit more than that ??

he is awfully good/talented, and think you can make the case/argument that we are more without a FS than most any other position of need, as we have Okung and Tevi/Barksdale @tackle, and if Mebane moves on, we still have a bevy of DTs, 'specially if Liuget finds his way back on the roster, and.... even if we lose Verrett, we still have Hayward and the three headed threat of Williams, Davis and Facyson.

@FS we're looking at a three headed threat of Addae, Adrian Phillips and Rayshawn.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
...you can make the case/argument that we are more without a FS than most any other position of need, as we have Okung and Tevi/Barksdale @tackle, and if Mebane moves on, we still have a bevy of DTs, 'specially if Liuget finds his way back on the roster, and.... even if we lose Verrett, we still have Hayward and the three headed threat of Williams, Davis and Facyson.

@FS we're looking at a three headed threat of Addae, Adrian Phillips and Rayshawn.
Adrian Phillips is being used at WILL more than he's being used at safety. Obviously we keep him as he's so versatile. I think Addae gets moved back to SS as his skillset just fits there better. So far, Rayshawn has not shown he's a starting free safety. It only makes sense to draft a starting FS.

I wonder if Phillips becomes a WILL behind Kyzer White... and Jatavis becomes a backup to Perryman at MIKE...? It would make drafting a FS primary and drafting a MIKE secondary...

Last edited by Boltnut; 12-06-2018 at 06:32 PM..
Old 12-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
Addae was given a chance to secure the free safety position. Many of us had doubts he could be effective there. It's pretty obvious that he should move back to strong safety... probably in a reserve roll behind Derwin James. Rayshawn Jenkins has shown promise/improvement but probably is merely depth there. FS is probably our biggest need... along with OT and DT.

Who do you like...? Here are some of the guys I'm looking at:

1st: Deionte Thompson, Alabama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmNofUB2b6A

2nd: Juan Thornhill, Virginia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNQfY-zemxo

3rd: Darnell Savage Jr., Maryland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUgtNkgBv7Q
Good research, Nut. They have Thompson playing in the box a lot--looks more like a SS, though some FS snaps--need to see more FS body of work...now Thornhill, he looks like a full time FS...like his ball hawking skills, and has a nice swivel neck to look back at QB and see where the ball is...he's also 6-2, so matches up well vs. tall wideouts...Savage I also like...like his range, leaping ability, aggressiveness and closing speed...I'd take either Thornhill or Savage...
3. Charles Omenihu, DT, Texas
4. T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Last edited by topcat4477; 12-03-2018 at 10:15 PM..
Old 12-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
Good research, Nut. They have Thompson playing in the box a lot--looks more like a SS, though some FS snaps--need to see more FS body of work...now Thornhill, he looks like a full time FS...like his ball hawking skills, and has a nice swivel neck to look back at QB and see where the ball is...he's also 6-2, so matches up well vs. tall wideouts...Savage I also like...like his range, leaping ability, aggressiveness and closing speed...I'd take either Thornhill or Savage...
Thanks TopCat. Yeah, I'm leaning toward Thornhill or Savage right now, too. Lots of good FS's in this class. Gotta watch more film on guys listed above.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM
Hall of Famer

I've been playing around on Fanspeak Mock Draft... and S Dieonte Thompson keeps falling to us. I wonder if safety is not a huge need for the teams in front of us. Last year, none of us thought Derwin James would be there for us. To me, once you get past the 3rd round safeties, they start looking like project players with varying blemishes.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Hall of Famer

There is only one safety worth even thinking about in rounds 1 and 2.... as everyone has mentioned that is Thompson and I think there is a decent chance he falls to us late in round 1. Still very early... No other safety, at least for how the Chargers would want him to play, would be a high pick consideration for me. The tape tells the truth and most are a big pass.

Go Chargers...