Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #381  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM
SDCPB SDCPB is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: beaverton
Posts: 5,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts-Fan View Post
There were so many on this board (not you) who kept saying Bosa needed to shut it down this year and would never return to play this season. Man I an glad they have no input into the team.
There were people who simply wanted to rest the starters in Denver for week 17 and throw the game away. Too bad they don't make such decisions.
  #382  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:37 PM
perryao's Avatar
perryao perryao is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Spring Valley
Posts: 20,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post
The roster is loaded with enough talent to win a superbowl. It's gonna be on the players to execute and the coaches to come up with a good game plan.
And yet they are underdogs this week as well as last. And I believe they'll be underdogs again next week if they and KC advance and in the SB against the Rams (who beat them in the regular season) and the Saints (of course if/or whoever advances). Not sure about the Colts. I'm thinking it would be a pick 'em (depending on the quality of their wins).

Look, I agree to an extent. The Chargers have the talent to COMPETE for a SB Championship. Having said that, I don't EXPECT them to win the whole enchilada. And, imo, anyone that EXPECTS the Chargers to win has an unrealistically high opinion of the Chargers talent, and not enough respect for the vagaries of sports (especially one played with an oblong ball), and inconsistent rules enforcement (read "luck").

Heck, the Chargers had the best talent in '06 and they didn't make it out of the divisional round. This team isn't as good. The Chargers in '94 beat a vastly superior Steelers team- one of the greatest upsets in football history. Let's face it, anything can happen.
__________________
"There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued." Thomas Huxley

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
  #383  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Midtown Bolt Midtown Bolt is offline
I be humbolt
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post
And yet they are underdogs this week as well as last. And I believe they'll be underdogs again next week if they and KC advance and in the SB against the Rams (who beat them in the regular season) and the Saints (of course if/or whoever advances). Not sure about the Colts. I'm thinking it would be a pick 'em (depending on the quality of their wins).

Look, I agree to an extent. The Chargers have the talent to COMPETE for a SB Championship. Having said that, I don't EXPECT them to win the whole enchilada. And, imo, anyone that EXPECTS the Chargers to win has an unrealistically high opinion of the Chargers talent, and not enough respect for the vagaries of sports (especially one played with an oblong ball), and inconsistent rules enforcement (read "luck").

Heck, the Chargers had the best talent in '06 and they didn't make it out of the divisional round. This team isn't as good. The Chargers in '94 beat a vastly superior Steelers team- one of the greatest upsets in football history. Let's face it, anything can happen.
The Chargers are as capable of winning the Super Bowl as any of the teams remaining in the playoffs. That is not an "unrealistically high opinion of the Chargers talent," that is fact.
  #384  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:41 PM
perryao's Avatar
perryao perryao is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Spring Valley
Posts: 20,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
Verrett can't stay on the field. He's not a factor. Mebane and Liuget were on the decline. Younger and fresher guys were going to take their place. Perryman and Brown are good contributors but they need to prove they can stay on the field too. White has potential. You have to hope he doesn't join the ranks of guys who can't stay on the field.

I give props to the coaching staff and management. They find talent that can play in place of guys who aren't available. They find and build depth needed to be successful during the season.
So we agree.
__________________
"There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued." Thomas Huxley

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
  #385  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:46 PM
perryao's Avatar
perryao perryao is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Spring Valley
Posts: 20,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
The Chargers are as capable of winning the Super Bowl as any of the teams remaining in the playoffs. That is not an "unrealistically high opinion of the Chargers talent," that is fact.
It is not a fact. It's your opinion. I disagree with your opinion.

I think the Rams and the Saints have better talent right now. The Chiefs are better too (look at point differential), imo. I think the Patriots and the Chargers are close. Colts match up well strengths against weaknesses. Dallas and the Eagles I give the Chargers a slight edge.

After all of that, I still believe the Charges can compete for the Championship. I do not expect them to win.
__________________
"There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued." Thomas Huxley

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
  #386  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:48 PM
perryao's Avatar
perryao perryao is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Spring Valley
Posts: 20,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Bolt View Post
The Chargers are as capable of winning the Super Bowl as any of the teams remaining in the playoffs. That is not an "unrealistically high opinion of the Chargers talent," that is fact.
Btw, basically we agree. I believe they are "capable". I do not "expect". That was the premise I argued against.
__________________
"There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued." Thomas Huxley

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
  #387  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:54 PM
Xenos's Avatar
Xenos Xenos is offline
Madness? This is Chargers
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,560
Default

For those we were wondering why we didn't just stay in the East Coast. This is why and it's definitely a good reason.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/07/wi...s-colts-texans
Quote:
2. I asked Anthony Lynn if the Chargers had considered staying on the East Coast this week. And he said … yes. “We did, but it was so late,” Lynn said. “When you get the schedule before the season, you can plan this stuff. But when it happens and you have a week’s notice, the logistics of doing that is really hard. We just couldn’t get it done. But this is a tough football team. We’ll go back to the West Coast, prepare, and we’ll come back to the East Coast and we’ll do it again.” After a little more digging, I found out that the Chargers actually investigated sites near Baltimore and New York. And they felt confident they could get hotel space and a practice site. The real issue? Getting their digital video up and running to where it needed to be, and a full training room going wasn’t feasible on such short notice. The Chargers, you may remember, spent a week in Cleveland earlier in the year ahead of their trip to London. And in anticipation of that trip, they sent their IT people a week ahead to get the hotel wired, so the coaches could hit the ground running when they arrived. That was hard enough. Doing that with much less lead time, as they saw it, invited risk that wasn’t worth taking in a playoff week.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
  #388  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Xenos's Avatar
Xenos Xenos is offline
Madness? This is Chargers
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
I am good with that. Bolts might win, but I still have strong doubts. My thoughts are the same, roster isn’t there yet.
We have the roster to win it all this year. Though that may speak more to how flawed the remaining teams are. With that being said, there is no perfect time except the present. We could have an amazing record and roster like 2006 and still fall short. Better to take advantage of what we have now because who knows how the teams are going to look next year. The Patriots completely did a 180 from 2006 to 2007 for example.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
  #389  
Old 01-09-2019, 06:10 PM
SDCPB SDCPB is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: beaverton
Posts: 5,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post

I think the Rams and the Saints have better talent right now. The Chiefs are better too (look at point differential), imo. I think the Patriots and the Chargers are close. Colts match up well strengths against weaknesses. Dallas and the Eagles I give the Chargers a slight edge.
We have a better defense than the Chiefs.
  #390  
Old 01-09-2019, 06:42 PM
sdchargergt's Avatar
sdchargergt sdchargergt is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: bonita
Posts: 447
Default

On any sunday fellas. They are 3 wins away....
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 PM.


© 2018 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.