Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
For those we were wondering why we didn't just stay in the East Coast. This is why and it's definitely a good reason.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/07/wi...s-colts-texans
Excellent feedback to know as I wanted them to stay and now know why. Thank you.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post
Btw, basically we agree. I believe they are "capable". I do not "expect". That was the premise I argued against.

perryao, those of us who have been around are well aware of your psychological turtling.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
We have the roster to win it all this year. Though that may speak more to how flawed the remaining teams are. With that being said, there is no perfect time except the present. We could have an amazing record and roster like 2006 and still fall short. Better to take advantage of what we have now because who knows how the teams are going to look next year. The Patriots completely did a 180 from 2006 to 2007 for example.

all true. we had the "roster" to win in 2006 and didn't even win 1 playoff game. others can wait for the perfect roster (hint, you'll be waiting forever).

seize the day I say
Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
I am good with that. Bolts might win, but I still have strong doubts. My thoughts are the same, roster isnít there yet.

my thoughts are you'll never think the roster is there.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post
And yet they are underdogs this week as well as last. And I believe they'll be underdogs again next week if they and KC advance and in the SB against the Rams (who beat them in the regular season) and the Saints (of course if/or whoever advances). Not sure about the Colts. I'm thinking it would be a pick 'em (depending on the quality of their wins).

Look, I agree to an extent. The Chargers have the talent to COMPETE for a SB Championship. Having said that, I don't EXPECT them to win the whole enchilada. And, imo, anyone that EXPECTS the Chargers to win has an unrealistically high opinion of the Chargers talent, and not enough respect for the vagaries of sports (especially one played with an oblong ball), and inconsistent rules enforcement (read "luck").

Heck, the Chargers had the best talent in '06 and they didn't make it out of the divisional round. This team isn't as good. The Chargers in '94 beat a vastly superior Steelers team- one of the greatest upsets in football history. Let's face it, anything can happen.
Okay, Perry, so let's compare that 2006 team that went 14-2, but lost to the Pats in the playoffs, to our current squad:

1. QB - Rivers - no difference. TIE

2. RB - The 2006 team has a slight edge with LT, LoNeal, Sproles and Turner. Having said that, our current group of Gordon, Ekkie, Jackson and Detrez are more than capable and above average. ADVANTAGE 06

3. WR - I would say our current group of KA, MikeDub, Twill and Benji compare very favorably with the 06 group of VJ, Floyd, McCardell and Parker. TIE.

4. TE - The 06 Gates was in his prime and a pro-bowler, but the 2019 Gates is still a threat. HH in the lineup is a big plus. Green and Culkin are similar talent-wise to Manumaleuna and Krause. TIE.

5. OL - Hardwick and McNeill were probowlers, Dielman was solid, Goff and Olivea were average. Our current O-line with Pouncey and Okung is still decent; but ADVANTAGE 2006 TEAM.

6. DL - Jamal Williams was a pro-bowler, Shaun Phillips posted 11.5 sacks that year, Castillo was solid, Olshansky was good. Our current squad of Ingram and Bosa, with some solid help from Mebane, Square, Rochelle and Philon are just about as good. Maybe a slight edge to the 06 group, but not by much. ALMOST A TIE.

7. LB - Merriman was a superstar in his prime; Edwards, Godfrey and Cooper were solid. Compared to our decimated LB group with only Nwosu, Emmanuel and Pullard left after injuries to Perryman and Brown, the 06 group was clearly superior. ADVANTAGE 06

8. CB - Jammer and Florence were solid; Cromartie was a rook who wasn't yet a star; Our current starters, Hayward and Davis, are decent. ADVANTAGE 06

9. S - Kiel and Hart were average on that 06 team. McCree was average, and had that terrible fumble in that game vs. the Pats. Our current squad of Derwin, Phillips, King and Jenkins (and if Addae plays in the box) is clearly superior to the 06 team. ADVANTAGE: 2019 TEAM.

10. Punter - Scifres clearly better than Jones. ADVANTAGE 06

11. Kicker - Badgely appears to be better under pressure than Kaeding. SLIGHT ADVANTAGE: 2019 team

12. Coaches - You can't fault Marty Schottenheimer for guiding that team to 14 wins. Lynn hasn't done bad either. AL also has some top quality assistants with Whiz and Bradley. TIE.

So, all things considered, I will agree with you that on paper, the 2006 team was more talented than the 2019 team. However, were they OVERWHELMINGLY more talented? No. As I pointed out, there were several position groups that were tied or virtually tied in talent level. This current squad has plenty of talent to go all the way to the SB.
3. Darnell Savage, S, Maryland
4. Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama St.
5. JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
6. Nic Needham, CB, UTEP
7. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

Last edited by topcat4477; 01-09-2019 at 08:49 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 PM
outback goon

Felipe said it "Somebody has to win, why not us?"
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 PM
First member of the board

Here's what I think = I don't see a team that is clearly better than the rest of the playoff teams. That makes me think it's possible for any of them to win it. So, why not the Bolts? So far, we've had some good luck, for instance, all these East coast games have had decent weather when we played back there. We've had some breaks going against teams that were missing one or two of their better players. We even had some breaks from the refs a couple of times. All that and this team has been pretty healthy all year.
A friend of mine used to say, you take the skill, I'll take the luck. Everybody pray for luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
Here's what I think = I don't see a team that is clearly better than the rest of the playoff teams. That makes me think it's possible for any of them to win it. So, why not the Bolts? So far, we've had some good luck, for instance, all these East coast games have had decent weather when we played back there. We've had some breaks going against teams that were missing one or two of their better players. We even had some breaks from the refs a couple of times. All that and this team has been pretty healthy all year.
A friend of mine used to say, you take the skill, I'll take the luck. Everybody pray for luck!
We have a similar saying Roo......

Better to be lucky than good

Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
Luck is playing at KC
Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
perryao, those of us who have been around are well aware of your psychological turtling.
Whew. Good thing you've warned the newbies. They may not have found out before they shut this board down.

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread