Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
Yeah they were able to come back in those games but the point is they got behind 14-20 points in EVERY single game against top 10 offenses, which shouldn't happen if you're a good defense. Coming back against that type of deficit is low probability with a large enough sample size. And it happened early in the season too so you can't blame it solely on injuries. I believe the scheme needs retooling and believe they will retool to include more zone blitzes.

Huge problem. I agree. They got by this year but kept coming out cold against good teams. As for the early season, they were missing Bosa and Liuget against the Rams and L.A.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post
I think you should check your facts...

Ekler re-aggravated an existing neck injury he was already dealing with during the onside kick.

It was the same stinger that had limited him in practice the previous month.
The onside kick caused him to go into concussion protocol and miss time for his neck. Not some other issue previously. Again cool story though.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts-Fan View Post
The onside kick caused him to go into concussion protocol and miss time for his neck. Not some other issue previously. Again cool story though.
Yep sure is. So is fact checking. As I mentioned, he was already dinged up.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 9:22am
USA Today - [Full Article]
Yesterday, we wrote that Chargers running back Austin Ekeler aggravated a neck injury. Ekeler got banged up on an onside kick attempt late in the fourth quarter. It wasn’t certain on what the injury was at first, but it appears like it was the same stinger that limited him at a practice last month. He didn’t play on the team’s final offensive drive. Today, the status of Ekeler was updated, per ESPN’s Eric Williams.
According to Williams, Chargers announce Austin Ekeler was evaluated for a stinger neck injury and also evaluated for concussion in the tent on the field Sunday. Ekeler was cleared for a concussion and is not in concussion protocol. He is day to day.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Strategist

As Kellyb72601said, "Nothing happened yesterday that hasn't happened in every other game against decent offenses this year:

Week 1: KC Defense quickly got behind 14
Week 3: LA Rams: Defense quickly got behind 14
Week 13: Pitt Defense quickly got behind 20
Week 15 KC Defense quickly got behind 14

It's the defensive scheme..."

The Defense was porous at times, especially in those games you pointed out, especially in the middle of the DL. KC's DT/DE Cris Jones was wreaking havoc on the OL all game long! The Chargers don't have an interior DL that can do that. So, Bosa and Ingram can be doubled because other teams OL can handle Chargers interior DL one on one. But one mistake you neglected to mention...You don't get down by two to three touchdowns if your offense is moving the ball and scoring. Rivers audibled into too many runs that went for zero or negative yards. Why have an offensive coordinator call in plays if he's just gonna audible out of the play call? Does he really audible or is he just milking the clock? Maybe that is on Whisenhunt, maybe not. Also, besides OL needs, they need a 210-220 lb RB back with speed as they have one bell cow and two small quicker backs. Look what big fast RBs have done for other teams. Three of the last four teams left employ RBs that they drafted in Round 1. I'm not saying draft a Rd 1 RB. But, why haven't the Chargers ever traded back for extra picks and drafted a RB in Rd 2 or 3? NE built their whole roster from trading back for extra draft picks.

But the blame for being down so quickly in games is 50-50 on the defense AND the offense. They both share responsibility.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 AM
Is it time to panic yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
how can it be fallacy when it did happen?
the games against Rams and KC were game 1 and game 3, no key players injuries 'piling up' as stated. stop making mindless excuses.
Figured someone with short term memory loss of the season would chime in with that. It's ok, Sunday was a rough day.

You have heard of Joey Bosa and Corey Liuget?

The defense played well thru the mid to late season. Some have this fantasy that a "good defense" holds every team to like 17 or less points a game, regardless if it's the Chiefs or Jacksonville. That's just not reality.

― Thomas Paine

"We some dogs....we take what we want.."

- Keenan Allen

Last edited by MidwestBolt; 01-15-2019 at 01:43 PM..
Old 01-15-2019, 11:32 AM
I'm No Noob

We didn’t adjust on D after allowing them to march down and score 2 TDs. I mean, that should’ve probably been enough of a sample size against NE.

Furthermore, soft zone was Brady’s highest completion % D... he loves it, and we have a front office making good money that decides that’s the play?

Perhaps we were just out of “tricks”. I mean, we’re playing all DBs for a reason and it’s not ideal. We got creative enough to get that far but it eventually caught up to us.

Maybe release the hounds after down 21 and see what happened? Nothing to lose, and still playing the same scheme.

As far as offense... man oh man.

Rivers had what felt like 8 delay of games in the first half alone. Never decided to go up-tempo, no huddle. Waiting for the play clock to get down to 0.5.

The OL sucked. But we suddenly have no screen game? You know... screens... dinks and dump offs... the passes Brady made to kill us the first 5 series?

Rivers making no real adjustments was alarming.

Yes... I know I will take abuse for bashing PR, but that defense NE ran isn’t a world beater. The Titans and JAX beat them. I mean, just look at the offensive personnel and then look at ours.

Embarrassing to compare.

And please stop with the “Brady would lose with that OL”. No he wouldn’t. Not like that. He’d have executed blitzes and GOATed all GOAT darn day all over our GOAT darn throats.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD SneakKing View Post
Yep sure is. So is fact checking. As I mentioned, he was already dinged up.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 9:22am
USA Today - [Full Article]
Yesterday, we wrote that Chargers running back Austin Ekeler aggravated a neck injury. Ekeler got banged up on an onside kick attempt late in the fourth quarter. It wasn’t certain on what the injury was at first, but it appears like it was the same stinger that limited him at a practice last month. He didn’t play on the team’s final offensive drive. Today, the status of Ekeler was updated, per ESPN’s Eric Williams.
According to Williams, Chargers announce Austin Ekeler was evaluated for a stinger neck injury and also evaluated for concussion in the tent on the field Sunday. Ekeler was cleared for a concussion and is not in concussion protocol. He is day to day.
So according to you being "dinged up" and getting a day off of practice is the same as missing game time. Interesting. He also went into concussion protocol on that Monday but hey whatever fits your narrative that it was heavy usage and not and onside kick team that he got hurt on, your "fact check" makes my point for me, thanks.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 AM
I'm No Noob

It was the insides kick that did it for Ekeler, just stop.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tee View Post
We didn’t adjust on D after allowing them to march down and score 2 TDs. I mean, that should’ve probably been enough of a sample size against NE.

Furthermore, soft zone was Brady’s highest completion % D... he loves it, and we have a front office making good money that decides that’s the play?

Perhaps we were just out of “tricks”. I mean, we’re playing all DBs for a reason and it’s not ideal. We got creative enough to get that far but it eventually caught up to us.

Maybe release the hounds after down 21 and see what happened? Nothing to lose, and still playing the same scheme.

As far as offense... man oh man.

Rivers had what felt like 8 delay of games in the first half alone. Never decided to go up-tempo, no huddle. Waiting for the play clock to get down to 0.5.

The OL sucked. But we suddenly have no screen game? You know... screens... dinks and dump offs... the passes Brady made to kill us the first 5 series?

Rivers making no real adjustments was alarming.

Yes... I know I will take abuse for bashing PR, but that defense NE ran isn’t a world beater. The Titans and JAX beat them. I mean, just look at the offensive personnel and then look at ours.

Embarrassing to compare.

And please stop with the “Brady would lose with that OL”. No he wouldn’t. Not like that. He’d have executed blitzes and GOATed all GOAT darn day all over our GOAT darn throats.

PoTD right there.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
PoTD right there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.